a purely theoretical question about gear ratios for a unicycle

I was only sort of kidding, but when he finally released his designs they used the pedals as the lever arm.

not saying it is a good idea, but it wouldn’t induce frame bob

remark: if I were to ask for a geared uni it will be to gear down not to gear up.
this because climbing is difficult for me (specially for muni) Do you think that balance could be thus affected as it is when gearing up?

Eric-

I think I pointed out in a post to DAKOROMAN that his pedal system would have to be necessarily quite massive. Although it wouldn’t tug at the frame, as you point out, the massive gear-pedal system would accentuate the wobble you see when you spin a unicycle wheel with one hand while holding the frame in the other hand.

yup, his idea is completely impractical and fraught with problems.

gered ultimate wheel could be done without the DACOROMAN system though. unfortunately the drawings disappeared and I don’t have the originals anymore.

All just fun stuff to think about.

Having gears on a unicycle are not as practical as one would think. I didn’t “get it” until I spent some time on a guni. For many applications, it makes more sense to choose your wheel size based on the terrain, crank length, brakes, etc all help to maximize efficency.

It was for this reason that I once suggested a fixed geared hub with the option of a low or high gear. This would allow someone to ride a 36er off road for instance, where a 1:1 would be prohibitive but where a tall wheel is desired for rolling efficiency.

Then again, a Schlumpf reduction hub would be cool to :smiley:

Of course, things that aren’t easy are no fun at all, right? :wink:

Slightly off-topic, but as Eric mentioned it: I intended to build a pair of “real” Dakoroman cranks after I made the Lego model, but it never happened because I found out how ridiculously expensive sensible sized gears are - it was going to cost me something like £200 to put together a fairly crude pair, and I’m not prepared to put that sort of money into something essentially useless (sorry Dako). I may still do it if I find some gears - I’ve pretty much got the rest of the stuff I need lying around.

On the subject of highest gear, I forgot about Pete Perron’s machine (whoever mentioned LiveWire, AFAIK they licensed the design from Pete later and offered them for sale).

Rob

I couldn’t find this in google, so I am guessing it is an inside joke.
Care to explain?

Doh! As soon as I posted my last question, I saw the correct spelling, and all the info on it. Dakoroman.