A picture is worth a thousand words

And the caption is worth one word and an emoticon.

Sweet! :smiley:

brokenprofile.jpg

THAT’S not a PROFILE IS IT?

I dont think I’ve ever been so proud of you John, That picture rocks, it sucks but its still really cool.

Now what the hell were you doing when you broke it. Feel free to exagurate all you want :sunglasses:

Chex

I’ve got another picture of the broken Profile crank in my Miscellaneous Stuff gallery

I’ll probably post another picture or two in the gallery tomorrow when there is daylight so the lighting will be better.

The crack started at the hole for the chainring on the right crank. There is no rust around where the crack started so it’s not due to the crank rusting from the inside out. Those chainring holes serve no purpose on a unicycle other than to create a weak point in the crank. It sure would be nice to be able to get right-hand cranks with no chainring hole.

My cranks started creaking on the first day of the California Muni Weekend. I couldn’t figure out why they suddenly started making noises. The bolts were tight. I keep them greased with anti-seize. I chalked it up to having just ridden through mud and water the day before leaving for California and that some water had gotten in the hub. In hindsight that creaking was likely the sound of the crack starting in the crank. The creaking went away on the second ride so I figured things were OK after that. I’m lucky the crank didn’t break on me during the Downieville ride.

I noticed the crack in my crank today after doing a 2.5 foot drop from a loading dock. At that point the crack was still small but I could see that the crank was no longer straight. The unicycle was still ridable at that point. What finally did the crank in was riding back to the car and hopping over a 1 foot or so diameter log across the trail.

It was a Profile. Now it’s a conversation piece.

WOW

Here is the MAN proudly displaying his trophy:

A profile of the Profile and the MAN:

WOW!!!

John,

Do you think the way that unicycle.com grinds off the chainring nub has anything to do with the break? It might make it rust more at that point, or grind off some of the weld, weakening it. I just thought of this. Anybody know why they do this? I got my cranks though a bike shop, so the chainring nub is still there and it dosen’t interfere with the frame at all.

Congratulations…

Joe

John Childs couldn’t hop over a one foot diameter log if his life depended on it. He fell on that attempt and then blamed it on a broken crank. What a sissy. The rest of us hopped over the log one-footed. Irene wheel walked it…she didn’t even NEED cranks.

My crank had the chainring nub ground off. It is possible that the process of grinding the nub off weakened the crank, but I doubt it. The crank itself was not ground down, just the nub and some of the weld around the nub.

On my frame there are clearance issues if the nub is not ground down. An additional crank spacer washer might be able to allow enough clearance, but grinding down that nub is a preferable solution.

Profile is now making left-hand drive cranks for their BMX setups. The left-hand drive setups have the chain on the left side of the bike for people who prefer to grind on the right side of the bike. Perhaps it will be possible now to get right-hand side cranks without the chainring nub.

that would be nice,about half a year ago i tryed to get some custom made without the hole in them and found out it was impossible,i even had J Drummond on my side.

my old 145’s dont have the hole,but who ever made those first batches obviously doesnt work there anymore and when i called Profile personally they had no memory of ever making right side crank arms without the hole…

“JC”. Coincidence?

Phil

how old are they?

it looks like not only a broke profile but a UNIQUE MODE OF FAILURE,

now you get to put “profile breaker” in your sig.

just wondering though, the profile warranty excludes cranks not fitted with the profile crank tool and modified cranks,

does removing the chainwheel nub count as modification?

i’d return it to unicycle.com rather than profile if i were you.

i’m one of the lucky few that have old 145mm cranks, without the nub or the threaded bit.

I bought my KH muni in January of 2002.

I called unicycle.com and they said to ship the broken crank to them. They’ll then have to send the crank to Profile for the replacement. We’ll see what happens. I’ve got an urban wheel for my muni that has Profile cranks and a Hoggy-G tire. I’ll put a Gazz on that wheel and I’ll be back in business while this broken crank thing gets sorted out.

Me too. My KH trials uni has the 145 mm cranks with no chainring hole. My muni however has (had) 170 mm cranks with the chainring hole. With luck Profile will discover that they can make right hand cranks without the chainwheel hole.

I assume these are heat treated as they come from profile. Unless whoever did the grinding is fairly careful about temp build up or they re- heat treat the crank, I think the grinding could certainly have weakened it. Grinding = heat. It could easily have built up enough heat to weaken in that area. Add that to the fact you’ve already got a hole there and …

-Cubby

Re: A picture is worth a thousand words

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 23:15:45 -0600, john_childs
<john_childs@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>It was a Profile. Now it’s a conversation piece.
Not for long (at least not in your home) if you have to send it back
to Profile to claim warranty. :frowning:

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

Grizzly bear droppings have bells in them and smell like pepper spray. - UniBrier

No that IS funny! I almost fell of my chair laughing when I read it!

Carl - who only rides freestyle but who has to teenage sons who Muni.

“harper” <harper@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:harper.wbw3w@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com
>
> john_childs wrote:
> > * What finally did the crank in was riding back to the car and hopping
> > over a 1 foot or so diameter log across the trail. *
>
>
> John Childs couldn’t hop over a one foot diameter log if his life
> depended on it. He fell on that attempt and then blamed it on a broken
> crank. What a sissy. The rest of us hopped over the log one-footed.
> Irene wheel walked it…she didn’t even NEED cranks.
>
>
> –
> harper - Old dog, no tricks
>
> -Greg Harper
>
> B L U E S H I F T
>
> "I managed to get my missus riding a couple of yards before she got
> pregnant with Jenny, but she hasn’t tried riding since. " - Danny
> Colyer
>
> “Sa da tay! Sepotown!” - Pootie Tang
>
> “Know thyself. Of course, try to know Claudia Schiffer and Salma Hayak
> but, failing that, at least know thyself.” - Greg Harper
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> harper’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/426
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/28654
>

Cubby <Cubby@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>I assume these are heat treated as they come from profile. Unless
>whoever did the grinding is fairly careful about temp build up or they
>re- heat treat the crank, I think the grinding could certainly have
>weakened it. Grinding = heat. It could easily have built up enough
>heat to weaken in that area. Add that to the fact you’ve already got a
>hole there and …

A wet grinder would solve the heat build up problem, since a tube
recirculates a liquid coolant (water or water with additives) right on
the grinding surface continuously.

Sincerely,

Ken Fuchs <kfuchs@winternet.com>

Re: Re: A picture is worth a thousand words

It served it’s purpose here and will now live on in my gallery and in this forum post. No need to frown. Replace that frowning emoticon with a big fat grin. :smiley:

My muni is now back in action. I put the cranks from my urban wheel on my muni wheel and I’m now ready to ride again.