a nice bit of press

one of the better articles we’ve seen about our little unicycle gang

Great article! I hope to ride a full century on my unicycle some time. Too busy training for Hardrock right now; plus it’s so blasted hot and humid around here it’s almost suicidal to ride! I need to come out your way for a ride!

“He’s actually talking about riding a unicycle in general, not riding a unicycle 100 miles. But once you’ve already gone past normal, why not see how far the road goes?”

Why not? :slight_smile:
Nice article.

“Unicycles aren’t really useful, and they’re really hard to ride.” ???

WTF? Sounds like Jim Moore needs a little education. Doesn’t riding 100 miles in 9 hours disprove both of his claims? What would his time on a bike be?

“When that caveman genius invented the wheel, it didn’t take long to figure out that if one wheel was good, two of them promised a lot more possibilities. And so the evolutionary branch for one-wheeled vehicles ended up pretty short. Wheelbarrows … unicycles … that’s about it.
But maybe it’s that Darwinian dead end that speaks to a certain group of people.”

Unicycles are not evolutionary dead ends, they are the evolutionary pinnacle. Little kids start off by riding four wheeled scooters. After acquiring the requisite skills they progress to the tricycle. After more motor development they graduate to the tippy two wheeler. When they go through their final vestibular maturation process they can master the unicycle. Four, three, two, one. Seems pretty logical to me.

“That’s right – 100 miles. On one wheel. With one gear.”
Don’t any of you Bastards have a Schlumpf yet? I keep telling Bryce that braces for the kids can wait. Funding the 401K will only lose money. Time to make a worthwhile investment.

Geoff

Schlumpf-ey

[QUOTE=naturequack;1252588Don’t any of you Bastards have a Schlumpf yet? I keep telling Bryce that braces for the kids can wait. Funding the 401K will only lose money. Time to make a worthwhile investment.

B
Geoff[/QUOTE]

I’m with you in spirit Jeoff. Zeke and I are making plans for the next bigger, faster and more durable distance one-wheeled machine, but my time to build is like 11:00 PM-1:30 AM twice a week with the kiddos and wife taking the rest of me, so little gets done . . . . . but making a run of 36er v-frames and jackshaft unicycle hubs are in the mix of possibilities for the near future.

I do like the Schlumpf in concept, but I just don’t know if I want to trade simplicity for complexity right now in my life.

Say, I think you should come join us on our next century ride up here with your green machine.

I’m there. I’d be honored to be an honorary Bastard.

Sweet. I’ll keep you posted on planning for the next ride.
B

Sorry for the thread jack here, but Bryce, how can you seriously consider designing and mass producing a jack shaft V frame and then turn around and call a Schlumpf too complex?
Geoff

Well done unicycle bastards.I wish I were a unicycle bastard but I’m not worthy I’ll have to accept that I’m just a distant bastard.:slight_smile:

Nice article, I would love to be able to ride like that, but unfortunately I’m just not there yet.

I agree, I would love to be a bastard but I’m not near worthy, I will accept being a distant bastard fan for now.