A new kind of stand-up coast.

On a bike, I think it it works to propel you forward because when twisting the front fork, you are tilting the bike forward some, which moves the center of balance and pulls the bike forward some. When done repetatively, it increases the speed quite a bit.

For a skateborad, you have the momentum of the front of the skateboard that pulls you forward when it contacts the ground.

Neither of those would work for a unicycle as they require two contact points, but I have tried to propel myself forward while coasting, without any success so far, thinking that the momentum of the pedals would pull me forward. Just like if you pick up your uni with a little spin on the wheel and twist the uni back and forth and build up the speed of the wheel. I’ll have to try it again with longer cranks and heavier pedals.

I believe you could “pump” to gain speed on a BC wheel on flat ground. The idea would be to crouch down as you go in to a turn, and stand up as you are turning. The motion of standing up would move your center of gravity towards the center of arc you are turning in, which will cause you to accelerate. Same principle as swinging a weight on the end of a string. As you shorten the string, the weight swings faster.

I’ve tried this myself, but haven’t spent much time at it. I think its theoretically possible, but you’d have to be really solid on a BC wheel. Crouching down definitely effects your balance.

I think you could probably generate speed in the same way in a standing on the seat coast, but the difficulty would increase exponentially.

Weird format.

Can’t open :frowning:

I had that problem at first, do a Save Target As and then open it in Quicktime, should work.

Re: A new kind of stand-up coast.

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:30:21 -0600, “forrestunifreak” wrote:

> :astonished: segsehyrjstyksa
>
>(i hit a bunch of keys when my jaw dropped onto the keyboard.)

You, Sir, have a wide and strangely shaped jaw.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

It’s impossible to get old when you ride a unicycle - John (what’s in a name) Childs

Picture

Thought I’d post one of the pictures just so people don’t have to try and find it thru the link.

csos_02.jpeg

Re: Re: A new kind of stand-up coast.

:smiley: I know.It gets in the way most of the time.

Re: Re: A new kind of stand-up coast.

Hahahaha, I thought that was great! :slight_smile:

That’s similar to riding a ‘bongo board’.

Julian told me he wanted to be able to this a few years ago - probably at the Beijing Unicon.

Hmm so this is a 4 year trick after he’d already learned the balance for stationary coasting !!!

Leo White

Uh, probably more like trying to stillstand on a bongo board… on top of a long stick… where it wants to fall to the front and rear more than to the left and right.

A really hard bongo board!

REVIVE! This was just too good of a trick to rot in the back of hte forums…REVIVE I COMMAND YOU!

Yes i’ve seen a few guys ‘bike surfing’ a a local riding spot, it can’t be that difficult, these guys were by no means experts. Yes in theory you could carve whilst doing stand up coasting (glding?) and it wud propel you, ud need realy good foot grip to.

Dave

I agree with Ben… what pumps you is the biochemical energy you are introducing with your leg action.

In my opinion, the two or four wheels associated with a bike or skateboard act like a virtual single wheel and don’t have anything significant to do with the pumping effect.

An amazing trick!

I’m pretty sure that Julien will be coming to UniNats Darwin NT in Australia July 1-4 (that’s what i heard anyway). I hope that he’ll do that trick for us!!!