A new juggler amonst us

I know this is not unicycling, but my 8 year old daughter Emma has finally gotten the hang of the 3 ball cascade, having achieved 10 throws and catches this morning. I promised her that I’d take her to the Philadelphia Juggling Festival (http://www.threeproductions.com/phillyfest/2002.html) this fall if she learned to juggle. I’m pleased that she likely will be more than competent with the cascade soon, happy to take her along and very proud of her.

The unicycle can’t be that far behind!

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

im 29 and i just learned this 3 ball thing.i cant quite see where the 4th ball is supposed to come in though.doing 3 on a uni is tough,especialy while idling.

how good do you have to be before you can juggle 3 torches.

A new juggler amonst us

Jagur,

You only have to be good enough to juggle 3 clubs.

It’s best to learn and practice with non-flaming props first.
For some really good info on fire juggling; scroll down the sidebar menu to Fire Info and Fuel Info >>>>Renegade

For tons of info and links on juggling; >>>>http://www.juggling.org/help/

Practice juggling 2 balls in one hand (for both hands) if you want to do 4-ball juggling.

Buy the Kid a Unicycle, with an nice seat and do the hand-holding thing! It is the best experience you will ever have in all of juggling.
carjug

I am 15 and I just got the hang of my five ball cascade. Jagur- four balls is really just 2 in each hand, but people make it look like the balls cross.

http://tinyurl.com/1gb3Calvin on juggling:

Dan

She’s not off training wheels on her bike yet. Next year getting rid of these is our project. By that time she’ll be a kick-ass juggler and the year after that we’ll be doing a serious father/daughter juggling unicycling routine. (But hey, no pressure you know.)

This is absolutely true. Get 2 down in each hand, put them together and you’re doing 4. This is called a “fountain” pattern and is, for someone who can already do a 3 ball cascade, relatively easy. The trick is getting comfortable with 2 in your non-dominant hand. A month or so of steady practice and it should be solid. There are a lot of tricks that can be done with 4 balls after the basic fountain is mastered.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

allways good to welcome back another member of the juggling tribe

jagur, once u get the hang of three clubs, u’ll probably find them easier to juggle on the uni as the rythm is slower than with balls and fits into the rythm of idling better
from three clubs it’s only a small switch in your head to get the hang of the torches

rings are very nice to juggle on the uni as u allways have an area to catch them on and as such, they are less demanding than clubs
my 5rings cascade is getting better
can’t wait to take that onto the giraffe

one day
(sigh)

:slight_smile:

Re: A new juggler amonst us

> I am 15 and I just got the hang of my five ball cascade. Jagur- four
> balls is really just 2 in each hand, but people make it look like the
> balls cross.

Well, the fountain is just 2 in each hand. 33[33], 552, 5551, 55550, 633,
71, 6x2x, et cetera… the balls do cross.

Great… Explain patterns in terms of site swaps. Thats easy for everyone to understand.
-David Kaplan

Re: Re: A new juggler amonst us

Whaa?

Re: Re: A new juggler amonst us

Jagur - These are, as David Kaplan indicated, called site swaps. They are a juggling notational system used to describe juggling patterns as series of numbers. They are largely useless to you now, but if you are so inclined you can learn more about them here: Siteswaps .

The use of site swaps has a politics all its own; which is to say that aside from being useful for some in describing juggling patterns they are also used, by some, to create a class system among jugglers themselves, i.e. the site swap vs the non-site swap savvy. I will add that David, I believe, is fairly fluent in site swaps but wouldn’t use them to give you advice, knowing that as a beginner they’d likely not help you. (I, being site swap illiterate, don’t have to make this choice.)

Finally, the advice you have been given by me and others to concentrate firstly on juggling 2 in each hand simultaneously without the balls crossing from hand to hand, is, initially, where your focus should be in learning 4.

And if you want to see what some 4 ball (as well as other numbers of balls) patterns look like, check out:

http://www.juggling.org/programs/java/JuggleAnim/pages/jugglemaster.html

It requires some kind of plug-in. It’s very useful though as it always helps to see what you’re trying to do and don’t always have a juggler of your own handy.

Good luck again,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

“jagur” <jagur.b1lnz@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:jagur.b1lnz@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Scott Kurland wrote:
> > *Well, the fountain is just 2 in each hand. 33[33], 552, 5551, 55550,
> > 633,71, 6x2x, et cetera… the balls do cross. *

> Whaa?
>
>
> –
> jagur - Random Member

Siteswap, it’s a juggler thing. Go here and read this:
www.jugglingdb.com/articles/?id=29

Or this:
www.jugglingdb.com/articles/?id=9

There are other articles. Don’t read Beever unless you’re smart and/or
patient.

> Great… Explain patterns in terms of site swaps. That’s easy for
> everyone to understand.
> -David Kaplan

Easier than English, anyway, assuming internet access to the many siteswap
articles at www.jugglingdb.com and www.juggling.org

> Scott Kurland wrote:
> > *> I am 15 and I just got the hang of my five ball cascade. Jagur-
> > four balls is really just 2 in each hand, but people make it look like
> > the balls cross.
> >
> > Well, the fountain is just 2 in each hand. 33[33], 552, 5551, 55550,
> > 633, 71, 6x2x, et cetera… the balls do cross.
> >
> Jagur - These are, as David Kaplan indicated, called site swaps. They
> are a juggling notational system used to describe juggling patterns as
> series of numbers. They are largely useless to you now, but if you are
> so inclined you can learn more about them here:
> www.juggling.org/help/siteswap .

It’s called siteswap, actually, not site swaps. HTH.
>
> The use of site swaps has a politics all its own; which is to say that
> aside from being useful for some in describing juggling patterns they
> are also used, by some, to create a class system among jugglers
> themselves, i.e. the site swap vs. the non-site swap savvy.

That’s right. You illiterate masses, BOW YOUR HEADS! :wink: I liked that
movie; Estelle Warren, mmm…

> Finally, the advice you have been given by me and others to concentrate
> firstly on juggling 2 in each hand simultaneously without the balls
> crossing from hand to hand, is, initially, where your focus should be in
> learning 4.

Right.

we have to head off this siteswap thread before things start getting out of hand
:wink:

shall we start refering to ‘juni’ to identify juggling unicyclists from the off-road crowd?

uni-juggling may lead people to expect a three unicycle cascade

Hmm…

What if you Juggle on the Uni AND do Muni?

Jmuni? Munij? Junim?

Oh, hell, lets just go with Jumanji!

Lewis

if u can juggle WHILE muni’ing, u may call it anything u want!
:slight_smile:

If I may return this thread to its original vaguely related to unicycling status, this has been a banner week for motor skills in the Lasar household. My daughter has, in addition to her new juggling skills, today finally learned to ride her bike without training wheels. We were watching One Wheel No Limit together last night and she said she really wanted to learn to unicycle. I told her she had to do the two wheel thing without training wheels first. We went to a local playground where on the grass she started off and before she knew it I had let go of the bike and she was pedaling away all on her own. Then we put on the knee and elbow pads and put her on the concrete. She picked it up right away. And there is little in this world that compares to seeing the joy on a child’s face when she has accomplished something that doesn’t happen easily and without some effort.

I am brimming with fatherly pride and can hardly wait to get her her first uni.

Cheers,
Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

torches are just clubs, just rem-ember not to catch the yellow end.

oh, and one other thing >dont< use gasoline/petrol

trev

Trevor Pearce-Jones

¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸ [email]Trevpj@globalnet.co.uk[/email] Devizes. Wiltshire. England. °¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´°¤o,¸¸ ,o¤°´

----- Original Message -----
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: 14 September 2002 16:48
Subject: Re: A new juggler amonst us

>
> im 29 and i just learned this 3 ball thing.i cant quite see where the
> 4th ball is supposed to come in though.doing 3 on a uni is
> tough,especialy while idling.
>
> how good do you have to be before you can juggle 3 torches.
>
>
> –
> jagur - Random Member
>
> If I had a signature, would you forge it?
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> jagur’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/20433
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>

Dude, I don’t stutter, GET THE KID A UNI! you will have a blast showing the little nipper how to ride! She will pick it up so quickly and will always remember who taught her this fun thing. Trust me, dude. I have taught three pre-teen offenders how to do it on one wheel and it was even more fun for me than them.
[no savage seats, try the wheelbarrow training method if one is available] Carjug