A few questions

Tonight I didn’t have much to do, so I figured I would do a little uni maintenence. I also decided I would buy some clearcoat to go over my DH frame because the clearcoat on it sucks.

1.) So I guess my first question would be about the bearing space issue on my wheelset. When I went to take the frame off and clean it up a bit, I noticed my bearings had a little bit of freeplay going side to side. Whats up with this?

2.) About the clearcoating thing, am I supposed to do anything before going over it? I already cleaned it but am I supposed to do anything else? Also, it says there is an ideal temperature range to do this at and right now its below the reccomended temp. range, does this even matter?

3.) Do I need to do anything else to my uni while its apart? I’ve done zero maintenence so far to it, other than spokes and changing a few tubes out.

I would appreciate any help on these questions, but seeing as its a friday night I doubt there will be a lot of people on but o well. I guess I can atleast change my tire while I’m at it. Anyone want a bald try all tire?

1.) So I guess my first question would be about the bearing space issue on my wheelset. When I went to take the frame off and clean it up a bit, I noticed my bearings had a little bit of freeplay going side to side. Whats up with this?

I would replace them. They might give any time on a ride and ruin it.

3.) Do I need to do anything else to my uni while its apart? I’ve done zero maintenence so far to it, other than spokes and changing a few tubes out.

• Take of your cranks and grease em. I didn’t take of my profiles for two years. They’re rusted shut, and so ruined a perfectly good product by abusing it.
  • Re tighten spokes. Makes a rim last wayyyy longer.

Alright man thanks. But I did try to take my cranks off once but there really really on there! Also, Its not that the bearings are bad, I think. Its more like theres actualy space between the washers/frame/bearings. Its hard to explain, but I don’t think the cranks were put on properly.

answer to question 2:

degreaser is the best thing to put on it after you have cleaned it. use a cotton cloth (not cotten wool) to apply it to every part of the frame. ONLY degrease the frame at the last minute and try not to touch it, so hang the frame before you start degreasing and painting so you minimize touching it.

the room temperature is very important (alot of people dont relise just how important this really is!) what does the paint can say? does it say a specific temperature to spray at? if it does try to make the room or garage/shed you are painting in as close to that temperature as possible. even 2 degrees below or above the stated tempreture can make the paint rough and uneven and can make it bobble. if it doesnt say a certain temperature try to get the room at 19 - 20 degrees thats the general temperature for a “can” of paint.

also make sure you do even stokes as you spray it on. try not to put to much on at once as the paint can run. if you get the temperature just right and have a little practice on some old metal before you start it will help you alot!

pm me if you want to know anymore stuff about the paint.

dont forgot to open a window/door to :wink:

I’d like it! :slight_smile:

I’d like one too:)

+1 :slight_smile:

$25 + shipping boys.

I ain’t runnin no soup kitchen

Unless you have something to trade for it of course:)

Is it bald from being used or is it shaved? How used is it? Are the threads showing?

Nope, not even close. I was thinking about shaving it myself but it seems like a lot of work. Basically the middle tread is gone and the side treads are still there, if that makes any sense.