A few beginner questions

I have a few questions to ask. I’ve been learning to ride my uni for about 4 days now, with 2 hours each. I’ve managed to get used to getting on if I’m next to a wall, and can ride about 5 feet holding onto the wall before I have to stop (small porch).

My first question is would it be better to learn without the support of a wall? I’ve been trying to stop using the wall, but I seem to lean to the left every time if I don’t (the wall is on the right :thinking: ). I tried learning without a wall in the grass, but it was too hard to ride in the grass, and when I mounted I would just dismount since I wasn’t moving at all.

I also want to know if it’s good or bad that I’m holding onto the front of the seat with my left hand. I noticed this and tried to ride without my hand there, but the seat just slips out from under me and won’t keep up.

And lastly, is there any particular order that is easiest for learning? Such as learn to freemount, ride, then idle? Or ride, freemount, idle?

First of all, learn to ride both ways next to the wall. So you can ride with the wall on your left and with the wall on your right. Then start letting go of the wall while riding. Then start starting by holding on to something like a stop sign or the good old wall and riding off into the open from it. When you can ride about 10m on average, start freemounting.

Don’t know about idling, I’ve been riding for one and a half years, I can do a 360 unispin, jump a five-set, up four pallets, but I still can’t idle properly. I can do it, but I go all over the place when I do it. Not very cool. Then again, I’ve never practiced it.

Basically, just learn to ride and freemount and take it from there.

If you have to hold onto the seat to keep it from slipping out it sounds as if you are putting too much weight on the pedals and not enough on the seat. It sounds as if you’re trying to stand on the pedals. Try to keep as much weight on the seat as possible at all times. Remind yourself to do this because the natural tendency when learning is to stand on the pedals.

You may also want to check your seat height. If it’s easy to stand on the pedals it may be because your seat is too low. Your leg should be fully extended with your heel on the down pedal. That way it will be slightly bent at the knee when the ball of your foot is on the pedal. It’s just like adjusting seat height on a bicycle.

I’m an advocate of no-support learning. That doesn’t make it right, that’s just my philosophy. I think it is detrimental to train yourself to depend on some form of support while learning. I recommend getting on, letting go, and riding away. Do this on a smooth, flat surface, not grass. Try to look into the distance, keep your weight on the seat, and make smooth, round pedal strokes. Try to ride until you fall. Don’t chicken out and step off because you think you’re going to fall.

Does anyone knows the Roger Sanchez song “Here we go again” ?

Peter M

I agree with everything that Harper said but would like to add “let go of that seat and flail your arms like a mad-man.” The more limbs you have swinging about the easier it is for you to correct your balance. Don’t worry about looking stupid, You’re learning to ride a unicycle:)

Preach it, brother.

Also, try to familiarize yourself with the SEARCH feature. You should be able to dig up lots of past threads about learning to ride, seat height, service, and a variety of skills.

If you can get a friend or sibling to help you by walking next to you while you use their shoulder for support it would help. I would also say leave the wall and just go for it, mostly because that’s the way I managed to do it.

Relax, concentrate on putting your weight on the seat, look forward (not down), and as saskatchewanian said, flail your arms around it will help you balance.

Tips for beginners, including a downloadable ‘booklet’ Learning to Unicycle, can be found on

I don’t recommend trying to freemount too early. I had been riding a year before I was able to freemount, but it didn’t slow me down as long as I had something nearby to assist me in mounting again. However, I wouldn’t wait a year either, if I had to do it over again. I think it is best to get rolling and then focus on getting better at making some distance before trying much else, but that is just my perspective.

-Aaron

Ive also heard the oppesite, where people learn as the first thing.

What I would recommend is to learn early. When you can ride a few feet, try and free mount (Preferably the static mount, or the rolling mount. I don’t like the rollback mount at all) randomly when trying to ride.

The sooner you can rely on yourself to get on your uni, and to ride it, the better.

Three words of wisdom

Practice, practice, practice.

Stick with it.

It gets to be a rewarding experience.

Later on it becomes a drug addiction to new life.

i learned to freemount before i could ride, it made it loads easier

I had a friend who learned to free mount his third day

I think I waited till about my 6th month. Unless there is a shortage of stuff to hold onto, there is little advantage in learning to free mount. What is the point if you can’t ride once you get there ? :thinking:

Also, I find it easier to arrange my stuff comfortably on the seat if I use a support. It’s not embarrassing because I am the only uni rider around usually.:slight_smile: