A couple of questions

I want to learn linux. I never used it, and I want to learn it. so here
are my questions:

Do employers want people to know linux or how to use it?

Is it just in certain fields? Like networking and Web Dev.?

I have the Opputunity to get Red Hat Linux 7 and 2 books at a store
over here, and is Red HAt Linux a good type of Linux like User
friendly, or is Mandrake?

Is Red Hat 7 old or should I go for a newwer version?

I am not good at asking questions, so any help is appreciated.


~Sly

“Sylvester O.” wrote:
>
> I want to learn linux. I never used it, and I want to learn it. so here
> are my questions:
>
> Do employers want people to know linux or how to use it?

If you are planning a career in IT, DO NOT limit yourself to any one
platform. Be as flexible as possible. Learn Linux. Learn MS. Learn
Unix/Solaris/AIX/*ix. Learn as much as you possibly can.

There are a lot of positions out there that would require Linux knowledge.
There are just as many positions that would not.

> Is it just in certain fields? Like networking and Web Dev.?

No, it’s in all fields.

> I have the Opputunity to get Red Hat Linux 7 and 2 books at a store
> over here, and is Red HAt Linux a good type of Linux like User
> friendly, or is Mandrake?

Any flavor of linux is basically the same. Different windowing managers
maybe, different little idiosyncrasies. Mostly just different installation
routines and different file layouts. Redhat is good for beginners.

> Is Red Hat 7 old or should I go for a newwer version?

Get whatever is current. It will be more stable and more secure. I
suggest getting a CD for your first time. So buy whichever CD you can
find that is current.

-Mike K.

On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:10:01 -0500, Mike King
<mike@webcodefocus.com> wrote:
>
> Get whatever is current. It will be more stable and more secure. I
> suggest getting a CD for your first time. So buy whichever CD you can
> find that is current.

We downloaded, didn’t take that long… then burned to CD. Redhat
is currently at 7.2 but doesn’t come with the latest RPMs for a lot
of things.

On Tuesday 08 January 2002 01:52 pm, Sylvester O. wrote:

> Do employers want people to know linux or how to use it?

Sure… there is just more of them who want Windows experience right
now. But *nix jobs are out there. (It’s kind of a chicken and the egg
thing. Employers don’t want to use linux because of a perceived lack of
people who know it. and people wont learn it because Windows is wanted
by the biz’s)

>
> Is it just in certain fields? Like networking and Web Dev.?

Again it depends on the employer and what they need. Right now it looks to
me like the hot linux jobs might be in designing programs for single use
devices (Cash registers, Tvio, and small handheld devices etc…) and
networking them together.

Linux on normal company workstations is still a few years away (Linux can
handle it now, but it’s gona be awhile before it’s somewhat mainstream)

>
> I have the Opputunity to get Red Hat Linux 7 and 2 books at a store
> over here, and is Red HAt Linux a good type of Linux like User
> friendly, or is Mandrake?
>
> Is Red Hat 7 old or should I go for a newwer version?

Redhat is at 7.2 right now, but I think you should try Mandrake first.
It’s pretty much a no brainer to set up when you choose the recommended
install Make sure to read the html documentation on the first CD and you
will have it up and running in no time. (Not counting things like
winmodems but some of them work now also)

After you run Mandrake for a while try other distros to see what ones you
like best. You might also want to try the BSD’s as I have heard they are
closer to the “real” Unix’s like Solaris. (Solaris is also a free download
but I have now idea how it runs on an average PC. (if at all).

I posted several links when Shena asked for linux help… be sure to check
those out.


John R. Marshall - Web Developer

JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com The Hotrodding Network -
http://www.hotrodding.net

Remember: “It ain’t a sport if it can’t kill you.”

Well the Red Hat 7 comes bundled with a book. It was called “Installing
Red Hat 7 on your PC” I didn’t have much time to actually look at the
book. It did cost $3.99 and there was a second book, Linux Complete which
cost $1.99 so I plan on getting both those. If anybody would like those
things, since they are so cheap at the store by my house I can buy them
for you and then ship them to you, re-imbursement would be required.

The store is called MicroCenter, www.microcenter.com , maybe they got it
so you can buy it online. I would look more at the site but I don’t have
time right now.


~Sly

“John R. Marshall” <john@jrmstudios.com> wrote in message
news:a1gee2$961$1@www.darklock.com
> On Tuesday 08 January 2002 01:52 pm, Sylvester O. wrote:
>
> > Do employers want people to know linux or how to use it?
>
> Sure… there is just more of them who want Windows experience right
> now. But *nix jobs are out there. (It’s kind of a chicken and the egg
> thing. Employers don’t want to use linux because of a perceived lack
> of people
who
> know it. and people wont learn it because Windows is wanted by
> the biz’s)
>
> >
> > Is it just in certain fields? Like networking and Web Dev.?
>
> Again it depends on the employer and what they need. Right now it looks
> to me like the hot linux jobs might be in designing programs for single
> use devices (Cash registers, Tvio, and small handheld devices etc…) and
> networking them together.
>
> Linux on normal company workstations is still a few years away (Linux
> can handle it now, but it’s gona be awhile before it’s somewhat
> mainstream)
>
> >
> > I have the Opputunity to get Red Hat Linux 7 and 2 books at a
> > store over here, and is Red HAt Linux a good type of Linux like
> > User friendly, or
is
> > Mandrake?
> >
> > Is Red Hat 7 old or should I go for a newwer version?
>
> Redhat is at 7.2 right now, but I think you should try Mandrake first.
It’s
> pretty much a no brainer to set up when you choose the recommended
> install Make sure to read the html documentation on the first CD and you
> will have it up and running in no time. (Not counting things like
> winmodems but some of them work now also)
>
> After you run Mandrake for a while try other distros to see what ones
> you like best. You might also want to try the BSD’s as I have heard they
> are closer to the “real” Unix’s like Solaris. (Solaris is also a free
> download but I have now idea how it runs on an average PC. (if at all).
>
> I posted several links when Shena asked for linux help… be sure to
> check those out.
>
> –
> John R. Marshall - Web Developer
>
> JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com The Hotrodding Network -
> http://www.hotrodding.net
>
> Remember: “It ain’t a sport if it can’t kill you.”

On Wednesday 09 January 2002 01:01 am, Sylvester O. wrote:

> Well the Red Hat 7 comes bundled with a book. It was called "Installing
> Red Hat 7 on your PC" I didn’t have much time to actually look at the
> book. It did cost $3.99 and there was a second book, Linux Complete
> which cost $1.99 so I plan on getting both those.

If you have a CD burner you might as well download the newest ISO’s (as I
see your on attbi) if you don’t you can order most of the distros from
www.cheapbytes.com for under 10 bucks.

You might as well get the newest package as there has been some pretty big
improvements.

99% of those books will still be applicable to the new version.


John R. Marshall - Web Developer

JRM Studios - http://www.jrmstudios.com The Hotrodding Network -
http://www.hotrodding.net

Remember: “It ain’t a sport if it can’t kill you.”