9th Annual LBI Unithon - Saturday, June 2, 2007

So how about you use up one of your "pick up Brian O on your way to a unicycle trip"s? I guarantee theres a bountiful supply of those. :roll_eyes:

Just 10 days to go!

I’m really looking forward to this. I’ve been trying to get 6-10 miles in each evening, first on the 29, and now on the N36.

I’m really looking forward to meeting everyone there!

PS: I think the shirts look great! One hint: they are not white or black.

I hope it isn’t too late to send in my registration :o I’ll get it out ASAP…I’ve been majorly busy and distracted these past weeks. I’m definitely going.

See you all tomorrow!

i am going

i will be going this year. by the by, does anyone have a spare coker i might borrow? i sold mine to someone and would like to travel by coker. if this is a possibility, call me at 215 360 4475 to arrange this. or just bring it to the start line. thanks, Nick.
P.S. catch me if you can!

Turned out great, as usual. This was by far the best weather for any unithon I have been to. I was happy to see some new faces, sad to not see some old ones. You guys missed out.

Thanks to ahollow for donating the shirts, JJuggle and the Sprouls for setting everything up and running the rest stops and unipsychler for shuttling us back to the car after the ride. Hope to see everyone next year.

Just like to say that I too had a great time riding in LBI. Thanks to Rafael (jjuggle) and the Sprouls family for organizing this event once again. And thanks to Alan (ahollow) for donating the cool looking t-shirts.

I counted about 17 of us that rode, many of which were on Cokers. One guy, however, pedaled all 19 miles on a 20" uni, and finished in pretty good time too! A couple people had some knee scrapes, but other than that, there were no major injuries to speak of. And as far as furthest traveling distance to get to the event, I think Tim won the award for driving to NJ from Cleveland, Ohio.

Finishing the ride, a few of us challenged ourselves to dashing up the 217 stairs to the top of the Barnegat Lighthouse with the prize of being the first one to gaze out at the wonderful views from up above. Tiring, but totally worth it!

Thanks everyone. See ya’ll next year.

Well, I had a great time doing this! Just wanted to thank Raphael and the Sprouls for pulling this together. It was great meeting everyone and putting a face together with a screen name. I’m glad everyone liked the shirts and frame stickers.

I’m seriously thinking of renting a place for the weekend for everyone to crash the day before and after for next year.

Here are a couple photos; I’ll update with the rest later. If anyone has photos from the group shot taken on the rocks, please post!

Me

The group at Holgate

Here’s the write up which I did not know would be in a paper that’s online.

For the record, we did have a 10 year old riding, Daniel Picciotto. And he finished.

ALO fundraiser has money rolling in
6 June 2007
Ocean County Observer
© Copyright 2007, Ocean County Observer. All Rights Reserved.

By CRYSTAL FREEMAN

Staff Writer

The weather held up for the 9th annual LBI Unithon on Saturday, June 2. With participants from Pennsylvania to Virginia and ages that ranged from 13 and up, this year’s Unithon was another successful fundraiser for the Alliance for Living Ocean.

Started in 1998 by Bridget Sprouls, with only 4 riders, the Unithon has continued to grow each year with a peak of 40 participants and raising more than $2000. This year 17 riders were a part of this great fundraiser, which raised $1400 for the Alliance for Living Ocean.

Raphael Lasar, the organizer for this year’s Unithon, said that the Unithon is not so much a race, but a charity event to bring people together and have a great time. “Most unicyclists don’t have the chance to ride together,” Lasar said. “So by having this event they are able to ride with a group of people all for a great cause.”

Coming all the way from Fauquier County, Virginia, four members of the Unistars Unicycling Showtroupe participated in the event. Three of the Unistars members that rode in the 19-mile event were 13-year-olds. Abby McLaughlin, Braeden Heltzel and Jillian Chalke all decided to put their talent to the test by going the distance. Having been their first time, all were quite nervous, but also very excited. Braeden said they have been looking forward to the event for a long time.

Shane Chalke, who accompanied his daughter Jillian, also decided to participate in the event. Chalke, who has ridden for 30 years, explained that it would be his first time riding 19 miles on the unicycle.

Helping out Lasar with the event was Allen Hollowell of Mt. Holly. Hollowell, a new unicycle rider, decided to donate shirts and stickers for all the riders this year so that Lasar wouldn’t have to pay out of his pocket for them. Hollowell explained that he had been looking forward to this event since he started riding at Christmas time. “I’m really excited,” he said. “I’ve been trying to ride 10 miles a day in preparation for this event.”

Although many did feel the need to train for the event, Lasar stressed that it is not a race. “Many people may think it is a race, but it’s not,” Lasar said. “It’s just an event to raise money for a great cause and have a great time.”

At the end of the day at Barnegat Light there was a picnic for all the riders and their families, which was set up by the Alliance for a Living Ocean. Some riders continued to challenge themselves by going to the top of the lighthouse. As the day came to a close, it was realized that this year’s event was one of the best, not only because of the gorgeous weather, but because it was yet another successful fundraiser for the Alliance for a Living Ocean. Next year marks the 10th anniversary for the LBI Unithon and Lasar hopes more riders will come out and help raise more money for a great cause.