900-1000g 36" tire, anyone interested?

Ordered by quantity. I’d be buying a second one as soon as I could afford it, to experiment with (altering the tread if it’s really bumpy, etc).

Since there has been a bunch of discussion regarding possible tread patterns, maybe we could also list the style of riding we do most with our 36ers? I know forum polls get a lot of hate here, but 36er riding style does seem to lend itself a bit to a poll… Though keeping it with this list lets you weight your vote by the number of tires you intend to buy.

5 Jogi
2 Eric P (saskatchewanian)
2 Scott Wilton
2 Ken Looi
2 Daytripper63
2 David (DancesOnH20)
1 David Hood
1 uniaddict
1 Geoff (naturequack)
1 Nurse Ben
1 - Road - Phil (magnustudios)

22 :sunglasses:

Dunno how you lost the capital letters Terry…

5 Jogi
2 Terry (unigeezer)
2 Scott Wilton [preference: road tire, would buy either]
2 Ken Looi
2 Daytripper63
2 David (DancesOnH20)
1 David Hood
1 uniaddict
1 Geoff (naturequack)
1 Nurse Ben

Thought it was just to show each new addition. :o

I don’t think that I want one. I like the whole idea, but I like my 36 for road, my 26 for offroad. If they make an on-road version, then count me the eff in.

I’m pretty sure there will be a road version, and just because it may not have a traditional smooth tread, doesn’t mean it won’t be excellent for the road. The nightrider works well for the road as well as offroad, and I much prefer it over the TA, which looks much more like a traditional road tire.

Good point.
If I can find a hundred dollaz, then count me in. Maybe through continued road use I can wear the knobs out and save even more weight! Anyway.

We all have 36h rims, so we all have 36h hubs. New rim would be the same.
No idea on spokes, not my line of work :wink:

Yes, double wall boxed, somewhere around 30mm wide, hopefully the same ERD as the current rim so as to not necessarily need new spokes for everyone. I don’t believe there will be a braking surface but we haven’t even started on that project, and won’t until tires are out (see below). I think the tires will end up being more like option B than A given the much higher demand in the MTBR boards (~150 for “knobby”, ~20 for “road friendly”). As we gather more details we will likely post a poll on a few different treads here and on MTBR to get as much input as possible.

Yes you are right, will be narrower and likely not have a braking surface. We are trying to get a sample of the tires to see what they look like in person inflated etc and will report once we know.

I agree re your side note as does Walt. Jack of all trades but master of none. Unfortunately it will come down to pleasing the majority as that’s who will be paying.

I would be interested in doing a run of road tires if there were enough demand assuming we can get this off-road batch done successfully and it goes well from a $ standpoint.

Don’t know, don’t know, don’t know. We literally started this week in gathering info and getting the basics hammered out. Zero details so far so be patient (everyone) :wink:

I think also that there is a point at which a tire can become to weak for its intended purpose if it becomes to lightweight. A lighter 36er tire would be great, but with a tire that big, it needs a certain stability to perform well and also last a reasonable amount of time.

If They make the new tires with a minimum of tread, maybe one less ply and no wire bead, it might compromise the strength and life of the tire, and possibly make it more prone to blowing off the rim or vulnerable to punctures. But I am all for a lighter 36er tire, but hopefully one that won’t be inferior in other areas. :slight_smile:

I’ll ask Roger, although I’d think they’d want to sell what they’ve had commissioned as they will get them at wholesale and with these new tires they’d essentially become a second hand retailer (I hope or we’d be risking personal cash for a lot more risk). Not a bad idea though. It would only help all of us if they committed to a couple hundred as it would drive the cost down.

Also, not that it will skew the results much, but is there a way to show on your list below who voted on the MTBR poll so we can keep track of additional demand here (maybe a “MTBR” next to the name)? We’re showing 8 over there for Unis but that may or may not be included in your total here.

Thanks!

Matt

BTW- Eric linked this thread from the MTBR one so we ARE watching this one too and appreciate the thoughtful input. We did not expect this many responses and are more optimistic in making this a reality.

I agree, I don’t think I would get one if they were only one ply, but that is just from my unicycle perspective. If the tread decides to wear out on me though, then theres nothing I can do about that. Since bikes have the weight of the rider spread out onto two tires they probably don’t need it to be as thick as we do. If that is the case, then I hope they make this tire thick enough for us and not just the majority.

I can’t speak for those who are building this tire, but I don’t think there’s much to worry about:

• No one involved with designing the tire has said anything about 1-ply. I'm pretty sure this is going go be 2-ply, as is standard (from what little I know) for mountain bike tires and common to the current Nightrider.
  • Walt on the mtbr forum explains the weight savings to my personal full satisfaction. A "reasonably durable all-around XC 29er tire" at 36er dimensions would would still be lighter than 900g; the 900-1000 is assuming some extra beef for the bigger size.
  • I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't assume that a unicycle tire needs to be beefier than the equivalent on a bicycle, especially for muni. Bikes can put crazy side-loads on tires doing high-speed turns, braking, etc. Someone probably knows this, but I don't think an intuitive guess is a good basis for making a decision in this case.

It’s about time we got more 36er tires! I am so excited for this, I am jumping around and stuff.

The maxxis ardent, both 26er and 29er folding bead tires have single ply casings. Many if not most foldies are single ply so they can fold, and to save weight. I have the Ardent 26x2.4 foldie and it’s been the best tire I’ve ever had in terms of strength to weight. It’s super light and also fairly high volume so I can still run it lower for MUni, which is the main use for it. So I think a 36er folding bead tire with a single ply might be feasible, and of course, LIGHT!

Thanks Terry, I didn’t know that – very cool! For some reason I thought a single-ply would be weak, but clearly it can be made to work. Interesting. I wonder what the plan is for this 36er tire then.

I’d definitely be interested. If there is a stock of these around, for anything like $100, and anything like as good as what is being described, I can’t see how they wouldn’t fly off the shelves. (I’d be looking at de-knobbing one too.)

5 Jogi
2 Terry (unigeezer)
2 Ken Looi
2 Daytripper63
2 David (DancesOnH20)
1 David Hood
1 uniaddict
1 Geoff (naturequack)
1 Nurse Ben
1 - Road - Sam (redwelly)

5 Jogi
2 Terry (unigeezer)
2 Ken Looi
2 Daytripper63
2 David (DancesOnH20)
1 David Hood
1 uniaddict
1 Geoff (naturequack)
1 Nurse Ben
1 - Daniel M (dmacuni)

Most bike tires are single ply, even the heavy duty WTB Dissent is single ply, albeit with thicker rubber; they call it 1.5 ply or something.

I disagree about unicyclist applying more sideload. We may have all of our weight on one tire, but we don’t hardly achieve the lateral pressures that bikers can when they are moving at speed.

The heavier plies are needed more for running low pressures or for high impact use like DH and trials.

Also, you can vary air pressure to change tire structure.

Walt is spot on, 1000gm is very reasonable for a 36er tire similar in construction to an Ardent.

5 Jogi
2 Terry (unigeezer)
2 Ken Looi
2 Daytripper63
2 David (DancesOnH20)
1 David Hood
1 uniaddict
1 Geoff (naturequack)
1 Nurse Ben
1 - Daniel M (dmacuni)
1 - Chris F (trepper687)

wait, how did I get marked down for two? besides I already voted on mtbr.

We also need to remember that the true number of people interested in these tires will be larger than just those on the forums once they become available and word gets out.

The Dissent DH is a dual ply, but they do have the Dissent “UST” model which is single ply.