66th Birthday Challenge

I must be a glutton for punishment! :hushed::grinning:

https://youtu.be/eNimfJYp3no

10 Likes

Do you often climb slopes like this?

I had a habit to do so on a regular basis, but I progressively got rewarded by lateral back pain, which went away in a few weeks when I stopped that kind of steep slope.

I supposed it’s because of the asymmetrical way of riding: one hand on the saddle, one in the air…

P.S: bs, we all know you’re in your thirties :wink:

2 Likes

I love steep hill climbing and try to incorporate them into my road rides as much as possible. I know what you mean about pain but for me it’s usually during the climb when my heart rate gets high and I enter the lactate threshold. This particular hill is a lot steeper than what I usually climb, so I’d like to come back to it every few months just to keep in practice, but it gets harder and harder each time! And thanks, I only wish I was still in my 30’s! :grin:

1 Like

I like challenge of trying to keep my balance while working through the dead spots on those types of climbs more than the hardcore cardio aspect of it. I don’t think there are any paved hills around me that are that steep though.

I notice your unicycle has “climb max” emblems on it. I take it you built it as a dedicated hill climbing machine? What wheel size and crank length did you go with?

1 Like

Yeah I love all aspects of climbing. I built it as a dedicated steep hill climber and came up with the little play on words “climb max” and made the label on my laptop. For that uni I use 150s.

For most road climbing where there’s distance involved, I use my 700c and I tapped a 3rd hole in my 150/127 KH spirit cranks so now they’re 150/127/110. I use the 110s for the most part then switch to 150s when I get to the really steep part of the ride. Then 110s for the ride back.

Cheers,

Terry

2 Likes

Just—Wohw Terry! Great job, inspire me to head up widow maker on the loop.

1 Like

Go for it! :+1:

Cheers,

Terry

Damn, that hill is no joke! Narrow sidewalk to boot. Two thumbs up from me.

You obviously ride a lot, do you do other stuff to keep your whole self running smooth, or mainly uni riding?

Happy birthday!

Anton

1 Like

Thanks Anton. I recently started doing jump rope sessions in addition to pullups and hitting the heavy bag, all as cross training and to help warm up before a ride.

Cheers,

Terry

Gosh Terry, The realization of what you have done hit me on my second unsuccesfull try up widow maker this morning. This takes a lot of balance and way more practice for me to complete this personal challenge. Thanks again for the inspiration, I will continue!

1 Like

Keep at it you’ll get it! :+1:

Cheers,

Terry

1 Like

Hmmm, does that mean you love wheat?! I think you’re a “glutton” for punishment too – as am I.

2 Likes

Haha, that darn speatch 2 tekts!