55+ Ride-Your-Age

oh crap…I’m 51…better look into something larger than my 20. Mileage is what I’m thinking for the workout and to quit smoking as well. But not new at at all. Started at 16.
Anyone wanna trade my Retro/Nuevo Restored Schwinn (was 24) 20", for a 26" or 29"?
p l e a s e

Its time to join the club.
On July 16 I rode my age in kilometers. I chose to ride the Bakersfield Kern River Parkway bike path from Fairfax to Allen Rd. I began this trip from Yokuts park in Bakersfield, at about 7:30 a.m. going east. I figured I would go out to Hart Park, nonetheless at Derrel’s Storage (fixed a flat tire here from a goat head thorn) there was no more bike path and only a highway with cars whizzing by really fast and dangerously. So I decided I would try another street nearby which was Fairfax, (it had a restaurant with a big Indian effigy) but it took me up a hill the wrong direction, through a really dry section, (pretty in a sense with all the dry grass) all the way to the 178 FWY. I got thirsty here so I stopped at an ARCO am/pm and got a 64 oz double big gulp pepsi. Then I turned around and went back by Panorama drive. Panorama drive was fun because it was all downhill for a couple of miles with a bike lane and the look over the bluff into the oil fields was amazing. Then I hooked back up with the bike path and went west to Allen Dr. Going east I enjoyed seeing a bunch of big white birds like pelicans in the river just standing in the river, maybe waiting for fish, who knows, and then all along the path going east I kept on seeing little bunny rabbits jumping out of the bushes and darting around. In between the rabbits I saw ground squirrels all over and ducks in the river. From Yokuts to Derrel’s storage the view of the bluffs on the right was amazing and the view of the riverway refreshing. I enjoyed my ride, every couple of miles they had a park along the river side, which fun. Two times I went under the railroad tracks, went by a small lake where they were fishing, and by a lot of oil well equipment. But it was hot (100+), took me about five and a half hours, and toward the end my seat became so uncomfortable I had to stand up on the pedals and ride standing up about every five minutes, then I began to actually have fun standing on the pedals because to start circulation again at the seat area I would jump up and down on the pedals and attempt to still stand.
This is how I rode my 55.4 kilometers, now every body knows about one more enjoyable bike path in Kern County.
I did my ride with a 28" Sun, outfitted with a Torker DX Pro saddle, and crank arms about 6 1/4 inches long.

Time away

Since selling our home a year ago and hitting the road, I’ve not done much significant riding other than a Canada Day Parade in Alma, New Brunswick as a Charlie Chapman character, and a couple of longer rides with Olduniman. But I’ve done a bit, in Toronto, Kingston, Montreal, Quebec City and Denmark. Now we’ve moved to Halifax and its time to settle down. And what a great unicycle city - flats, hills, great views from the Citadel, skateboard park, respectful drivers. I plan to do a lot more. If there are any Halifax riders on this forum maybe we can meet on the Common.
Talking distances, I do think that there is a difference between interest, dedication and obsession and I guess I’m closer to the first than the second. Regardless, I admire you all but don’t know how you do it. I really enjoy reading about the cycling exploits, both long and short, having started so recently myself. And I always check for the photo, Geoff. What do you think of the chances to get us all together face-to-face? Now, that would be a coup! :slight_smile:
But you won’t get riding on those crazy narrow Brit roads in the rain! :astonished:

Gotta go! Reinhart

Heres a general message to the 55+ Group to clear up a few minor foibles.

I am acutely aware that I have not updated the 55+ group photo with images of ‘Crashing’, ‘Dave E’, ‘M Blamer’ and ‘Gina’ that were sent to me. Sorry dudes but the reason for this is my computer needed replacing and it was virtually impossible to work with image editing. Well celebration time ‘cos I ordered a new PC today that is powerful and fast enough to handle what I want to do so apologies for the delay but soon the job will be done.

Well done JBAB thanks for coming back with a write-up on your ride. I relate to your comments about enjoying the scenery and wildlife – forms part of the pleasure right? Wonder if you have any photos to show of your exploits?

At my age the only way I can get onto a 36 is to be closer to the third :roll_eyes: :slight_smile:

Yeah the next ‘issue’ of the Photo is set for a big upgrade. Re my above comment, really looking forward to getting my new PC next week then I can work on a new composition of poses for the 55+ Group Photo. I have a vague ambition to fly in your direction of the World before I’m too old maybe we will meet! Unfortunatley I didn’t get organised enough to meet Wobbling Bear when I visitied France a few weeks ago. However, talking of ‘riding-your-age’ – I am contemplating my upcoming birthday ride this year. After my recent injury I think long distance is off for a few months. So hey! In keeping with Wobbling Bears previous suggestion of riding each others age I’m going to set off to ride his age soon. What say you Wobbling Bear – what unit of measurement shall we use?

Actually I think you may be correct about narrow Brit roads. Over here what I would really like to ride on are the motorways!

JBAB, congrats. I hope the bum was OK for it.

I gather then that you are a commuter. Personally, I am more in awe of anyone that commutes and uses a bike (or uni in our case) as a utility to get around, day-to-day.

The extra long rides are just the icing on the cake. And besides, the distances add up mush faster as transport.

Actually, I think I might start a new thread for swapping details on commuting and errands on unis.

Looking forward to the updated group photo!

It will still be a while before I can get back on a uni. My ACL reconstruction was five weeks ago and the recovery has been going great. Range of motion is 135 degrees (with some pain). I’ll be ready before ski and snowboard racing season begin.

I’m cleared for biking but the prospect of potential damage from a UPD means I’ll have to hold off for some time before I get back on a uni.

Almost forgot. While I’ve been recuperating from surgery I’ve been working on a “recruitment” video for my ski club. The unicycling clip is all of two seconds toward the end (and the camcorder is aimed at my feet while pedaling) but the skiers among you might get a kick out of it anyhow. The accompanying song is terrific. I contacted the artist and got his permission to use his music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A50D_NQ70A

suggestion: add a Map (and a zoom approach) to show where Mt Laurel lies!
we will come!

I certainly recognised the Matterhorn. Must get back there someday.

sticky ride

“I wish to belong to the fellowship of the wheel and become a peddle pusher, an old crank, without a training wheel.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oPiNuNwYjE

One more!!!

I met Jozef while he was strolling along a boulevard in Zürich (Switzerland).
what a grand sight! a gentleman riding his Nimbus 36 handsomely without fear of car and trams!
Jozef being 62 is to be coopted into the gang of old geezers on one wheel.
I will encourage him to connect to this forum to show us pictures of his saddle: being a long/medium distance rider he modified his saddle in an interesting way.
Hope to read you soon Jozef!

Latest Ride Your Age group photo

Here is a preliminary update to the group photo. Two people are missing at present but I hope to get them included soon. There are gaps in the layout to allow extra dudes to be added and this image still needs shadows adding etc. Any comments let me know.

Yet another update

More dudes keep joining the 55+ group photo. Heres the latest rough edition still needing shadows etc. If you want to be added to the photo PM me and we can sort it out :slight_smile:

Hello Geoff, Thank you for adding me into the picture, it is looking great!

Looking good.

Perhaps we should all email you a quick one line on who we are. Not too m uch, we have blogs and profiles for that. And then add it to each successive image. Or at least periodically.

Maybe something like “Colin Christensen, Western Australia. b1952. Unicycle commuter.”

Or maybe just who is who. Rear row L-R fred bloggs (USA), Jenny Smurf (Canada),…

What do you think?

Yup its a good idea and a natural progression. When there are several people I feel it raises curiosity and its nice to know who-is-who. I discussed it with Bob ‘Olduniman’ Ferguson and have been considering ways of adding info to the photo but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I like your idea Colin because its concise but informative. Nothing much more than that is needed? I wonder what other people think.

Nice! Maybe I’ll join you in two years and a couple of months’ time :wink: - I was out on my almost new 24" muni for two hours today.

Best regards,
Sanne

[QUOTE=monocyclism;

I like your idea Colin because its concise but informative. Nothing much more than that is needed? I wonder what other people think.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It would be great to know names and locations of all these/us geezers. Thanks again Geoff for all you do! Dave

Maybe something like the attached photo would work. I seperate photo of blank silouettes could highlight individuals with a letter to identify each. The letters could then be listed with a description below the photo. The advantage of this means the letter moves with each person - and as more dudes join it is a flexible way of continually rearranging the position of people without loosing their reference letter.

The alternative is to write a description on each person as in the other image. This could get messy if text fills the photo?

Comments, opinions, alternative ideas?