$400 or less best MUni

Hi guys. Do any of you have a strong referral/recommendation on a 26" MUni? I’m looking at a Nimbus–cheap, easy–but open to better judgement. Beginner/6’2"/210

If i were in your postion i would just buy a KH24. Its a good muni. Its not a 26" like you said but that means it can also be applied to other things like trials. Its a great uni for the price. You’ll really want a splined hub down the road a little. I’m about 6’2’’, 195lbs and a 24 is perfect for me.

ObieOne - question?

Do I really not want the bigger 26"? I have a mile on the street to cover before I get to the Presidio or GG Park. Is it too hard to turn in the mud?

Also, What is the ride you suggested? I don’t know the models.

THanks!

This is the KH24 that i recommended. it is $450. a 24" is not that bad for riding distance. Also, the 3’’ tires have an approximate diameter of 26. 26 is obviously better, but a 24" will serve you fine. You can always buy shorter cranks later to increase your mechanical advantage and how fast you go. The KH24 is a great ride. It has a nigh-unbreakable hub and cranks, a great frame, a 3’’ tire and a great seat. It is worth the $450. Im saving up for one now because i wore down the cotterless cranks on my 24’’ Yuni(nimbus) Muni. The KH would probably be good for you for a long time.

I’m 6’ 2", which seems to be the regulation height for this thread, and I find 24" a nice size. A 26" with muni sized cranks (150mm+) is not really all that fast. It’s best to have a 29" for cruising.

You might also think about the Onza 24". At $399, it’s on budget, and it has a splined hub. The nimbus is a great value. It’s really a question of whether you want to start with an entry level uni or go straight for the hardcore/unbreakable.

If you find yourself even looking at MUNIs with less than a three inch tire give some consideration to a Pashley 29er. You will find it in the touring section of unicycle dot com. I have one and am very happy with it. Otherwise, make sure whatever you get has a three inch Gazzoldi tire on it. carjug

Re: ObieOne - question?

Just so you know, I do 2-4 miles a day on a 19" trials. YOu should go with a 24x3, they’re all around better. The KH24 is really great, also the onza muni. If you want, I’ll bring my custom 24x3 to a club meeting if they ever happen. You should get an idea of what a 24x3 is before you decide you want a 26, cuz a 26 is huge.

A couple of questions for carjug:

1. What are the differances in the Parshley 29er and the Yuni 29er? (besides $100+ bucks)
  2. Is the Parshley a Lolly-Pop designed frame? It looks like it in the unicycle.com picture.
  3. What length crank do you recommend for a 29er?
  4. When are we going to get together for a ride? How about between Christmas and New Years? I’ll drive your direction, all the way if I have too! I’ll also bring my 6’ Giraffe, if you don’t have access to one all ready, but you have to bring all you unicycles too. -
  5. I’ve heard you talk about a Coker in other posts. If you could only have one, a Coker or a 29er, which would it be?
    Thanks in advance for your response. -chirokid–

I can’t comment on the 26", but I can tell you that the 28" is difficult to hop with or do any other tricks. Aside from idling and riding backward, I only ride it to get from point A to point B. It is great for commuting, but I would hate to try muni-ing on it. That big wheel makes any manuevering twice as difficult. So I would say go with a 24" if you want to do any muni-ing that will involve hopping, large drops, …etc . Of course, I have never ridden a 26" so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As for the question about the coker versus the 29", several other people on a previous thread commented that the 28/29" was the largest size that can be reasonably be used for practical transport. I have never tried to ride a Coker, but I have ridden a homemade 40" and it would never want to ride it as a means for practical transport. The Coker wheel is too big for easy free mounting and dismounting. It is harder to turn in tight situations. It is great for long road rides, so if that is all you are going to do, then fine. But if you are going to ride it in town, idling at every stop light, riding on the sidewalk, weaving around pedestrians, turning sharp corners, …etc, you are better off with a 28/29".

if it were me and i hope to be getting one if i do well in my g.c.s.e’s i would get a http://einradladen.net/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1&products_id=70&osCsid=2540c3c3055b2aadeb1c45e4a0875f0a
fitted with a good 3" you will have about the same size wheel as a 26" but with a stronger lighter wheel set it is $300us.

Re: $400 or less best MUni

In article <chirokid.yeyc3@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com>,
chirokid <chirokid@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)carjug wrote:
)> * a Pashley 29er. You will find it in the touring section of unicycle
)> dot com. carjug *
)
)
)A couple of questions for carjug:
)1. What are the differances in the Parshley 29er and the Yuni 29er?
)(besides $100+ bucks)

I have the Pashley 29er, and would have gotten the Yuni 29er if it were
available at the time. The Pashley frame is higher-quality and more
aesthetically pleasing than the Yuni, but the Yuni has greater versatility
because it can fit the Big Apple as well as the Gazz.

)2. Is the Parshley a Lolly-Pop designed frame? It looks like it in the
)unicycle.com picture.

It has lollipop bearings, but not the kind which cause problems for the
frame.

)3. What length crank do you recommend for a 29er?

Depends what you’re doing with it. For dirt riding on fire roads and
such, I like 150s, and some people would go down as far as 125s. For
technical or steep off-road riding, you’ll want 150s or 170s. I used
150s with my Pashley 29er for the 24 Hours of Adrenaline race at Laguna
Seca last year.
-Tom

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 02:14:47 -0600, onewheelsf <onewheelsf@NoEmail.Message.Poster.at.Unicyclist.com> wrote:

>Do I really not want the bigger 26"? I have a mile on the street to
>cover before I get to the Presidio or GG Park.

A 24 x 3" is effectively about 25.5" in diameter. Admittedly, a 26 x 3" tyre would be over 26" by the same token. But the difference in time needed to cover a mile would be a minute at most.

For street riding the Halo Contra tyre is better suited than the Gazzalodi thanks to its rounder profile. Both are 24 x 3".

Klaas Bil

Reposted directly on the forum. After almost 24 hours my newsgroup post still didn’t show up.

[
4. When are we going to get together for a ride? How about between Christmas and New Years? I’ll drive your direction, all the way if I have too! I’ll also bring my 6’ Giraffe, if you don’t have access to one all ready, but you have to bring all you unicycles too. -
5. I’ve heard you talk about a Coker in other posts. If you could only have one, a Coker or a 29er, which would it be?
Let’s keep an eye on the weather between now and then, I’ve got snow and sleet coming down every day for the last three, you might be better off taking the girls skiing! If you want to stay at my place and take them to App, Beech or Sugar just say so. We’ve got a futon and I am used to the sound of screaming Banshees echoing through the hall.
Yup, I got a Coker. The biggest problem with a Coker is finding a really good place to ride it. With Winter here I might Be on the closed off sections of the Parkway for the next few weekends, after I change the tire. The Machine pulls to the right a little bit, a mechanical problem I haven’t been able to fix. It drives me mad sometimes, and makes me appreciate the fancy Pashley 29er frame. I do love it, but I wouldn’t rush out to buy one to ride in the mountains. You’ll know what I mean after you try it out.
carjug

Oh, I forgot, say Hello to Dolly for us, please?

Always good advice.

I ride my Yuni 29 on the streets with 125s. Fireroads would probably still use 125s. Cross country (light MUni) I’m WAY more comfortable with 150s. Anything rougher than that: Yuni MUni 24 x 3. More than basic hopping is kind of tough for me on the 9er.

'Kid: do a search for comparison between 29ers and Cokers. Then settle in for hours of reading.

This is also in response to the original question of this thread. Advice as to what you get next depends on what you want to do and what you already have.

What do you already have?

It’s perfectly possible to use the coker as a round town machine as long as you ride it regularly, so you have the strength to turn it tightly and to idle it and stuff.

However, I’d say that there’s not much advantage to a coker any more except for the sake of having a really big wheel. This is since the super magic Big Apple road tyre has come out.

If anyone gets a 29er, get the Yuni / Nimbus II 29er, as it’s a decent frame and has clearance for the Big Apple. Don’t get a pashley because a) the lollipops do break in a couple of years and b) the clearance isn’t enough to fit big tyres in and you really do want a big tyre on a 29er (did I say Big Apple).

Joe