3D printed unicycle handle Saddle

Hey guys, I featured a 3D printed unicycle saddle on my unicycle podcast.

Im not quite ready to share it with the internet at large, however, if you’re interested in messing with it feel free to message me. I would be happy to share it with some 3d printing hobbyists

7 Likes

Christoph Hartman made some tests and shared his design on Facebook

Sounds good ! How’s the resistance to UPDs ? Would you share a photo - until you’re ready to share the 3D file…?

1 Like

I have no idea. I only printed one as a test. and to clarify, I’m happy to share it with anyone who wants it. I just dont want to post it as a general download.

I designed and printed one in petg. Broke pretty fast, but was very comfortable for about 30 seconds.

3 Likes

For best strength have it printed externally via SLS or MJF technique in Polyamide.

Preferably add the vapour fusing treatment.

If you’d like to try that yourself, be my guest. Here is a link to the STL.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, can this fit all saddle brands? I have a Qu-ax and and a Mad4One saddle currently.

Great idea. What do you think, would it be possible to make the handle with a 22.2mm tube diameter? This would give you more options for installing the brakes. I’m looking for something like that for my shop. But if you don’t have a 3D printer yourself, it’s difficult. A printer service offered me such a handle for 50 CHF / piece if I would have 100 pieces made. That is of course too much.

I sent the file off to a local 3D printer and he came back with this:
“I would be able to print it. However it will have to be printed in 2 parts. and then reattached. the print does not have any flat service to place on the printer bed.”
Any advice please?

I printed in 1 piece with a lot of support material.

I do want to remind you that the 3d printed part by itself won’t be strong enough by itself. Mine failed the first use with PETG

I sized it based on standard handle hole spacing. The only thing I that could not fit is if the saddle cover comes over the front below the base. This was sized for the base to be flat all the way to the front.

1 Like

Lets talk again on your podcast sometime soon? <3

1 Like

It’s really cool. I never even knew that you can make really cool unicycle using a 3D printer. My world will never be the same.

To be clear, it’s just the handle and it be prone to breaking due to the materials.