36er mounting advice (and knee injuries)

There must be several. I see a couple on Youtube, Here and Here.

My record number of idles on the 36er is 25. It’s a handful.

Idling on a 36" is not that hard, you just have to find a feel for the frequency, don’t fight it too much and don’t push too hard, otherwise the momentum of the wheel will get away from you.
Is it a practical skill? Not really, but it will probably teach you a lot about controlling the big wheel (just like idling in general).
On the original topic - I guess that you were just really unlucky. I would hesitate to blame the rolling mount for it, on a typical UPD you probably have stronger forces acting in a similar way. I can however understand the sentiment of wanting to avoid them. I think static mounts are pretty doable on a 36" (at least if you are not very short), so maybe those could be an option.

Rolling mount is by far the easiest mount for a 36" as there’s no strength requirement only a timing issue.

I mainly mount with a static mount myself and lately I have about a 98% success rate. Which drops considerably if I’m very tired/fatigued. I have used a rollback but it’s very difficult to pull off so much so that it forced me to learn rolling/static.

Idling a 36" is very impractical and even if I could do it reliably I could see no practical use for said skill while commuting as the space you need to do it would be hard to find when you’re out in the streets. If you commute with a giraffe I would say idling is an essential skill since you require much less room and hopping a giraffe is not a great idea.

I can almost idle my 36" but mine is harder to idle due to it having a schlumpf hub and that slight play in the hub throws off my idling.

1 Like

Totally with you on this, for me it’s the only way I mount my 36er. I’ve heard all the arguments for the rolling mount but I’m happy with my static mount.

I’ve been finding only on my 36er that my non-dominant knee that I used to thrust myself up onto the unicycle end up aching after riding. I think its because I do this kind of twist like motion as my right leg leaves the ground. Also the bigger wheel seems to emphasis the slight twist I have when riding unicycles which I think puts more strain on my right knee as I ride at a slight angle.
I’m hoping after time my knee might get used to it and it no longer becomes a problem :roll_eyes: