36'' tubes

Google turned up nothing, search didn’t help. Where can I get a good 36’’ tube? The seam split on the one I was using, so a patch definitely will not work (already tried a commercial one, then rubber cement). I went to my LBS - they don’t have, nor can they get, 36’’ tubes. I bought their only 29’’ tube to try that - it started leaking too. I think I fixed the problem (there was a small imperfection in the rim that I’ve covered with nice, thick threaded packing tape), but now I have no working tubes. I patched the 29’’, and the patch held, but it got a snakebite puncture when I was putting the tire back on. I’ve read that motorcycle tubes are awesome, if a bit heavy - i’‘m not a weight weenie, so one of those would be great. Can you get skinny 36’’ motorcycle tubes?

tl;dr : I need 36’’ tubes. East coast supplier would be nice.

Motorcycle tubes are to fat and small diameter

UDC sells 36 tubes. Coker had them also, for less $ I think. A number of people run 29’s, so maybe use a new one while waiting on a 36 tube.

http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=306

Or you could go tubeless.

Cut a 29er (Maybe even a 26) tube along the outer seam. Fit it under the tyre, so the excess pokes out both sides. Put in a few dollops of sealent. Inflate tyre with a compressor. Cut down the excess tube.

That’s the very simple version. It will probably be a lot more effort than it sounds, but once it’s set up properly, you shouldn’t have any punctures, and only a few blow outs.

If I can’t find a good source of cheap tubes ($25 for a single tube? I paid that much for an entire giraffe!) I’ll probably go tubeless. I’ll go check out a few in-depth guides and see how it sounds.

Did you check the inside of the tire? i have had thorns or other objects puncture the tube that way.

Aj

Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with the tire; my LBS checked out the tire and rim for me - they found the burr in the rim. There’s nothing that I can see that’s wrong with the tire or rim anymore. I’m working on patching the 29’’ to see if I can get it working. I’ve got 2 Lezyne patches on it, and am currently waiting for some rubber cement to cure - I cut a slice out of the 36’’ tube and used that because the seam was splitting, and nothing I tried to do to fix it worked.

I’ve been slowly inflating the tube to see if the patches are holding; they’re stretching, but working. If this doesn’t work, I’m going to try one more 29’’ tube. Then, I’ll try tubeless. I’ve read up on it, and it doesn’t look too hard :slight_smile:

Assuming there’s no other problem, 29 tubes can be fitted to a 36’er and not damaged virtually every time. Here is the process I use, should be adding pics of each step to it over the weekend.
http://unplannedismounts.com/2009/04/23/29-tube-upgrade-for-36-unicycle/

Wow, thanks! I had never, ever put a tube in a tire before today, so i basically winged it, and apparently did it completely wrong. I just stretched the 29’’ tube around the rim straight out of the box, inflated it a bit, put the rest of the tire on, and inflated it more. I guess that was my problem. I’ll be able to get another tube soon hopefully, and not break it this time :slight_smile:

Recently i planned to replace the 36 inch tube in my uni with a 29er. I followed lunicycles blog to the letter, untill i tried to get the tyre off the rim. When i realised how hard it was i figured i would struggle to do it again on the side of the road i changed my mind and went tubeless. I hope it should be more reliable as some places i ride are bad for prickles. I havent worked out the exact weight yet but i think it is slightly less than the 29 conversion. The ride is better, partially because the liquid is not attatched to the tyre and doesn’t need to be accellerated like a tube does (reducing the flywheel effect even more). The other advantage is noticably better conforming to road imperfections (i mostly ride on dirt back roads), and noticably less rolling resistance.

Personally I would go for this option again.

When I did it I ran a bead of sealant around the bead/rim join and had no issues with it sealing. i havent even put air in it since and I did it about 8 weeks ago.

Google “ghetto tubeless” for much more info