36" Schlumpfs on Schlumpf.ch website!

I just visited www.schlumpf.ch and, yes, it appears that geared 36" unicycles are now available! http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm Has anyone got one yet? Or even ridden one? I’m sure that in high gear it would be ferociously fast (55.8" effective wheelsize!)

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Poor Florian is always behind. You’d think that the Swiss, with all those clocks, could be ahead of the game.

Dave Stockton has produced two fixed gear 36" wheels. One for Kris Holm on a hub he got from me. One for Mike Scalisi built around a fixed gear hub that he got from Steve Howard. They are wickedly fast. Search on geared Coker, der Uber Coker, and other such stuff. I took some video of Andrew Drossman riding one a couple of weeks ago in NYC at the Unatics meet.

thats $1,071.87 USD
How are they gearing these? are they useing planetary set of gears or?

So what size are you going to get Tony? :wink:

I think the 55.8" Overdrive will only be useful for downhills, and maybe flat ground if you have long cranks (>140mm). That’s a pretty big gear! The spread of gears would be quite efficient I think. Uphills on 36", dowhills on 55.8. See my Schlumpf thread. Klaas put up a graph on gear spreads. Something to think about.

And where could we see that ?:smiley:

Yes I’ve known about Kris Holm’s geared Coker for some time and various other geared Cokers, but this is the first I’ve heard of geared, shiftable-on-the-fly 36" unicycles… that’s what I was getting at. Only Ken seems to have understood that so far…

Which thread are you referring to Ken? Gotta link, au?

C’est ici.

If the 36" is shiftable on the fly (which I assume it is), than this is the machine I’ve been waiting for - the ULTIMATE commuter unicyle!

The geared 36er definitely is ferociously fast! Riding it ferociously fast requires 100% concentration, though… so I’ll usually just ride relatively short bursts at ferociously fast speeds and then I’ll slow it back down to moderately fast, which is a lot more comfortable and I still buzz past (the slower) bicyclists and rollerbladers. When people see me riding der Uber (the name given to Kris Holm’s geared 36er) at ferociously fast speeds (or even moderately fast speeds, sometimes) on the bike path, the looks (and comments) I get from people are almost universally the same and can pretty much be summed up as: “What the &#@!”

In Harper’s video of my riding der Uber at the Unatics meeting, I am riding in circles (and trying not to hit anyone in attendance), so my top speed was limited, but hopefully you can still get an idea of the potential from my pedal stride. I tend to limit really fast riding to nice long stretches of bike path where I don’t have to worry about cars or making sharp turns.

Jeez, 1000+ for that hub, ouch.

Hub, Frame,and Cranks.

Ahhh, but there’s something about the big wheel that you just don’t get in the smaller package (some may disagree).

I know I come from a different mindset than you when it comes to crank length (I JUST switched from 140s to 125s as my main coker cranks (non-geared).

140’s are NOT long. …unless you’re spinning fast, which you wouldn’t be on a 55.8" overdrive. I think 160s would be just about right. Remember, typical bike cranks are about 175mm.

…if I only had the cash.

I think I have come to the point where I realized that most of my disposable income is going to be going towards unicycles, so after I get a coker, 24" mUni (I now want one after the fun mUni day last weekend), and maybe geared giraffe (with some help from skippii in the future maybe), I might get one of these schlumpf hubs…after they have been thouroughly tested and used by trusted riders like GizmoDuck, I look forward to reading more reviews about these beasts.

The only geared unicycle I have been on was the geared giraffe last weekend, and that was quite the experience. I do believe that gUni’s are the future now after having so much fun on that thing.

If I’ve learned one thing about designing and riding geared 36’s, it’s the crank length factor. At first I tried the std. 150’s on my Purple Phaze, and more than anything the problem was speed control. When I went to 175 cranks, I regained control over the wheel.
If you take the std. 150’s on a 36" 1:1 wheel as the reference, then when gearing up the wheel by 1.5, isn’t it logical to also “gear up” the cranks by a similar factor?
If so, 150mm cranks x 1.5 = 225mm cranks, to have the same leverage over the geared up wheel as 150’s do on a coker. That’s why I think 175’s are relatively “short” cranks for a 36" guni. Of course, even if we could get 200’s, we still need to spin somewhat, but usually not over 120rpm with a 55" effective wheel size. So the 175s are actually a good compromise. Crank lengths for gunis have little to do with our experience on a direct-drive wheel.

Re: 36" Schlumpfs on Schlumpf.ch website!

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 16:17:21 -0600, TonyMelton wrote:

>I just visited www.schlumpf.ch and, yes, it appears that geared 36"
>unicycles are now available! http://www.schlumpf.ch/uni_engl.htm

I hadn’t seen this before. Mind you though, he doesn’t do complete 36"
unicycles. It’s just the hub, 36" fork and cranks.

I also noticed that prices have gone up significantly since I ordered
my 29’er. We must have written too many good things about the Schlumpf
gunis.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”

Re: 36" Schlumpfs on Schlumpf.ch website!

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 20:48:32 -0600, TonyMelton wrote:

>Which thread are you referring to Ken? Gotta link, au?

http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/44209

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict

“dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it, dit diddle dit dit dit diddle dit dit, diddle-diddle-diddle-diddle-dit dit diddle diddle dit dit did-it,… - Spudman”