3 Speed Unicycle Build

Jw how much did it cost to build?

Wow that is really cool good job tell me if it all works out

Hey and thanks for chipping in. I reread and rethought everything and think that it still stands. The system would indeed lock if you were to be pedalling backwards if that’s what you were getting at, but so long as you are pedalling forwards and only have the torque in reverse, then it it should be fine and would allow you to use all 3 gears.

Assuming you are pedaling forwards, the clutch only comes into play for the brief time when you switch from forwards to reverse torque and will remove the backlash during this period with a 1:1 ratio between the sprocket and S3X shell. Once the backlash is absorbed then the sprocket continues to rotate forwards faster then the S3X hub shell, which will cause the freewheeling clutch between the hub and sprocket to simply freewheel.

However, the moment you switch from a reverse to a forwards pedal torque, then there would still be play in the pedal in that direction. So it’s like having 1-way backlash. Not perfect but I imagine an improvement over the 2 way backlash we have now!

Plus, when you are in the 1:1 gear, then backlash would be eliminated both ways, allowing you to ride in high speed mode with no play in the system. So if I’m not mistaken the summary effect of adding the freewheel would be as follows:

Without Freewheel:

Fwd Backlash    Rev Backlash  Pedal Backwards?
1st gear (0.625)     YES             YES            OK
2nd gear (0.75)      YES             YES            OK
3rd gear (1.00       YES             YES            OK

With Freewheel:

Fwd Backlash    Rev Backlash  Pedal Backwards?
1st gear (0.625)     YES             NO             Locks
2nd gear (0.75)      YES             NO             Locks
3rd gear (1.00)      NO              NO             OK

-Justin

Justin,

So the freewheel might make sense and be rideable. The system might be a bit strange in its feel, but I agree that I apply reverse torque to my unicycle all the time when riding. Only occasionally do I actually ride backwards or idle.

Keep us posted if you reduce this design to practice.

Scott

What if it was a coaster brake vs a freewheel?

Fair enough - I agree with your analysis. Fine if you don’t want to ride backwards or idle then - to be fair I can’t do either of those, so it would suit me just fine!

3-Speed Uni in France

Hey everyone, not much update on the actual hardware since it’s been suprisingly reliable so far. As alluded to previously, the device is on a holiday trip around France with me and An’So right now.

Here is Romain of the Cri-Du-Kangourou shop who got it on first mount. The second photo is Robin riding along the Rhone river in Lyon. He’s got a great inventive mind with lots of projects on the go so we had plenty of fun stuff to talk about.

We’ll be going to Paris tomorrow and there is apparently a unicycle gathering/ride planned for Tuesday, for anyone else in the area who wants to give this a try.

-Justin

Romain.jpg

Robin.jpg

Hi Justin, see you on next Tuesday with An’So at Paris evenig ride with your 3 gears uni !

Hope you’re enjoying your trip! Did you ever get the creaking sorted and/or get around to putting in the narrower hub?

I want to see some gliding pictures too. =P

Great to hear the project is doing well and on tour.Have you ever thought about visiting Australia,your welcome any-time

john.

Yes indeed. It turns out that the aluminum ISIS spindle on the Eclipse hubs eventually seem to give to the point that the crank goes on too far and the crank bolt bottoms out, so it can’t be tightened anymore. The exact same thing happened to An’So’s freestyle uni too. We just filed off 1mm of metal from the end of the spindle and now the cranks can be properly snugged up and don’t creak.

Well we just need to get a shot the next time I accidentally slip into the neutral gear, hopefully before landing on my ass :wink:

Couldn’t ride Justin’s uni yesterday before it broke :frowning:
Have a nice trip back to Vancouver with An’So

That is sad to hear, which part broke?

not a big problem : chain tensioner issue

Could you adapt a sturmey archer bc2 to a fixie or a regular uni hub? Whats the difference between a2 speed and a 3 speed?

drawing

Hey, great job for this unicycle :slight_smile:

I thought to make the same one for my brother but I didn’t know how I can make the spindle because the spindle is dissociate of the wheel… You did all right.

I would like to know if you’ve got the drawers for machine the spindle (# 6-11)

Thank you

(Sorry if I did a mistake cause english isn’t my first language)

I made temporary drawings for the various parts that were machined from raw stock, but the spindle was just turned down from the Eclipse hub by eye. So there were no drawings involved. If you start with a normal unicycle hub, just machine off one of the flanges, and then machine the shaft so that it has an exact OD to fit a ball bearing in the location where you need the ball bearings to fit.

-Justin

Drawing Hub

Thank you for your answer :slight_smile:
I understand what you mean for the spindle, it’s going to depend which one we use…
But have you got the draw for the hub (message #9) like we see on the pic…
If you can give it that’s fantastic, I think that’s the difficult pieces to machined.

Thank’s for your help!!

Is this a true CVT hub? Just seems odd you’ve got a shifter and 3 gears rather than an entire range with everything in between.

Is the hub that different from the n360?

You’ll find your answer if you re-read the first page. He was going to use a Nuvinci but ended up using a Sturmey Archer S3X fixed internal gear 3-speed hub.