3-5 Spoked Wheels

I was reading a mountain bike magazine and I saw a three spoked wheel on a mountain bike. I have gotten really interested in buying one for my unicycle.
It is made by Grimeca and called a Aero 3 Tubless. I think they were mountain bike wheels and I will post a link at the end of this one. It also had a variation between 3 to 6 spokes, I presume they too are tubless.
Is there a strength or aero dynamic difference between the standard 36 and the fat 3 spokes? I have almost never seen those kind of wheels before and thought that there might be a reason for it. Does anyone think I should buy one for Muni or stick with the one I have now (Powerlite retro tread 20", 2.2" wide?).
Does anyone have a tire like so? Or have pics of one? Some info would be very good. http://www.grimeca.it/grimeca/eng/ruote/index.htm
Thx.

this sort of wheel is quite common in mtb and road cycling.
They are more aerodynamic at bike speeds - some of them even pull you along in a crosswind (like sails).

On a unicycle I think they are pointless. you don’t go fast enough, you can’t true up these wheels when they go out of shape, they are expensive and more importantly they won’t fit a unicycle hub without extensive modification.

Daniel Hopkins made a muni using a Spinergy wheel. Lots of custom machining to get it to work. This was before the 3" Nokian tire was discovered. The aero rims like the Spinergy are very narrow so there is problems with tire fold over and the tire pressure also needs to be higher because of the narrow rim. Back then a 2.35 tire was considered to be really wide. Most people back then were using XC tires that were at most 2.1" wide.

Here is a link to Daniel’s Spinergy muni. It’s other distinguishing feature is it’s use of a Cannondale HeadShok for the suspension system.
<http://home.earthlink.net/~dmhopkins/pages/headshokmuni.html>

On a mountain bike, there’s basically no advantage, maybe a slight aerodynamic advantage, but nothing really noticeable. The big advantage is that they look cool and make it obvious you’ve got lots of money to spend. On a unicycle even less, as any aerodynamic advantages don’t kick in noticeably until you’re getting more than 20mph or so.

you’d have to get them custom built for you as the hubs are integrated into the spokes. You’d probably be talking more than £500 a wheel for that.

The problem with this sort of wheel is that they’re usually designed for high level racing, so are very expensive, but a bit weak so won’t last that long, okay if you’re replacing them every race, not so good if you want something to last. I’ve never seen anyone riding this sort of wheel that wasn’t sponsored to do so, except on road bikes, where they don’t get so much abuse.

Looking at the weights, they weight almost 1kg per wheel, which is more than a lot of the standard built up mtb wheels from http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=wheels so it isn’t going to save weight either.

I seem to remember that you can’t true them either, one big bump and it’s bye bye £500 wheel.

In my opinion, a “mountain bike wheel” shouldn’t have “bumps” listed as something that invalidates the warranty, if you can’t ride it over bumps, how is it a mountain bike wheel exactly?

Basically, nice idea, as long as you don’t want to ride off road and have thousands of pounds / dollars going spare to buy new ones every time you crash, not to mention the huge cost of getting a custom one built in the first place.

Joe

Re: 3-5 Spoked Wheels

If anyone is interested though, can get a quote on them as the manufacturer
of the CF bases also makes wheels and I am sure will make up a unicycle
wheel version… he also rides a unicycle. :slight_smile:

Cheers

Roger

The UK’s Unicycle Source

----- Original Message -----
From: “JoeRowing” <JoeRowing.lx4km@timelimit.unicyclist.com>
Newsgroups: rec.sport.unicycling
To: <rsu@unicycling.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 9:27 AM
Subject: Re: 3-5 Spoked Wheels

>
> this sort of wheel is quite common in mtb and road cycling.
> They are more aerodynamic at bike speeds - some of them even pull you
> along in a crosswind (like sails).
>
> On a unicycle I think they are pointless. you don’t go fast enough, you
> can’t true up these wheels when they go out of shape, they are expensive
> and more importantly they won’t fit a unicycle hub without extensive
> modification.
>
>
> –
> JoeRowing - MUni Animal
>
> Joe
>
> ’ Pedal.me.uk -The home of EMu’ (www.Pedal.me.uk)
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> JoeRowing’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1544
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/24637
>
>

> rec.sport.unicycling mailing list -
www.unicycling.org/mailman/listinfo/rsu
>
>

… and if you want to play hockey, the ball will go right through it.

:smiley: I agree with Joe Marshall, what’s the point in a mountain bike if you can’t go over bumps???

Might be interesting on a Coker though… with disc brakes… CF frame… hmmm, I wonder…
:wink: