I’m initiating a study of 29er tires and am looking for people who are proficient and prolific 29er riders to participate. I had the idea based on earlier threads similar to this one, and based on my own experience with 29er tires.
I have three purposes: 1) to enhance the unicycling community’'s knowledge in this area, 2) to help me decide what to recommend to my customers, and 3) to help promote my micro unicycle-building and -servicing business.
The study, ala Greg Harper’s Blue Shift study, will send about 8 road and off-road tires around to selected riders. Each rider will be expected to mount the tires successively on his/her unicycle, ride them under various conditions, take extensive notes, and fill out a questionnaire. I will then collect the responses, develop a summary document, then publish the lot in a pdf that the public will be able to download at no charge. Each rider will also be expected to send the lot of tires to the next rider in the list. Depending on the number of test riders, each rider will have about 1 month to do about 80 miles of riding. This should result in a study that is 6-12 months long. If a rider damages a tire during the study, I will replace it. I will send extra tubes along with the tires.
A review copy of the questionnaire will be available for comment for download before the study officially begins.
I have already obtained the tires, and what I need now is: a list of riders, and ideas for what should be studied. I already have ideas for the latter, but would like to get untainted ideas from everybody else before I do the questionnaire. I will also consider tire suggestions and would add to the pile if it seems warranted.
So, please respond to this thread or PM me if:
a) you have constructive suggestions about the study in general;
b) you are qualified as, and want to be, a test rider;
c) you have suggestions about what the study should examine and how it should be constructed;
d) if you have opinions about which tires should be studied.
I don’t see any reason (yet) why this shouldn’t be an international study, so please participate if you want to, no matter where you live.
Qualifications to be a test rider:
- currently own a 29er capable of handling a Big Apple;
- enjoy and are proficient at riding a 29er on- and off-road;
- have access to on- and off-road paths of varying conditions;
- can commit to riding about 80-100 miles in about a month;
- can commit to mailing the tires to the next rider;
- can change tires and tubes easily without damage;
- can commit to filling out an extensive, perhaps tedious questionnaire;
- can commit to organizing your test rides to fit the conditions required by the study.
No compensation for the riders will be available except for the exposure and the satisfaction of enhancing everybody’s knowledge.
A brake is not required but would be nice to have. I will also ask each rider to send a photo of him or herself on a 29er and a brief riding-oriented bio.
My current list of tires is:
- IRC Mythos II front 700c x 2.1
- IRC Mythos II rear 700c x 2.1
- Kenda Klaw XT front 700c x 2.1
- Kenda Klaw XT rear 700c x 2.1
- Schwalbe Big Apple 700c x 2.35
- Schwalbe Marathon XR 700c x 1.75
- WTB Nanoraptor 700c x 2.3
- WTB Motoraptor 700c x 2.3
This is exciting for me, and I hope for you too! I look forward to everyone’s input.