29er rim options?

I’ve been having a hard time pinning down a weight on the Rhyno Light 700c but it seems to weigh almost 700g. The Nimbus Blue/Red singlewall 38mm rims weighs 728g according to UDC.UK and the KH 38mm and 47mm rims weigh 795g. The CR18 is 5mm narrower and at 460g a lot lighter than a Rhyno Lite (it’s cheap too). If you’re considering something that narrow a Salsa Delgado Cross is the same width as a CR18, weighs 515g, and is regarded as a good tough rim (though I’d probably choose the Dyad).

I think the weight you have is for the Rhyno (no longer made), the Rhyno lite is usually listed as sub 600 grams. On the Sun/Ringle site it says 590g, and Peter White Cycles has it as 565g.

Well Jerry, thanks to your thread and the responses to it this idea really caught my interest and I wound up ordering parts to build my own zippy wheel:

Nimbus 32h hub
Sapim DB spokes
Velocity Dyad
Resist Nomad 700x45

I already have some Qu-Ax 114mm cranks and pedals. On paper I liked the Dyad’s combination of price (outsideoutfitters has them for $40), durability, and weight; plus it’s available in black with non-machined sidewalls for looks and still gives the ability to run a drag brake. I’m looking forward to the build.

Tyre advice?

Hi Tom,

Can you offer any feedback on your impression of the 2.0" marathon vs. the 2.0" big apple?

I have a lightweight 29er wheel spare (with KH XC rim, ti hub and spokes, surplus after upgrading my 29er muni to a disc wheelset). I am toying with the idea of getting another frameset and building up my own Zippy as a pub/town uni.

The only 29er schwalbe marathon that chainreaction stock is a 29 X 1.4", which I think is a little too narrow! They are out of stock of the 2.0 big apple, but I might order one elsewhere, or maybe the marathon… I have the 29 X 2.35 big apple on my mini penny farthing, and I like the feel of that, but it’s a bit too fat for a zippy uni tyre.

Cheers,

Dmac

There’s not really a noticeable difference between the Marathon Supreme and the Big Apple 2.0". They handle about the same; I think the Marathon is a little lighter. There’s no meaningful difference in the tread.

I wish Schwalbe wouldn’t use the Marathon name for three or four different tires. The Marathon Plus and Marathon HS have a little more tread than either the Big Apple or the Marathon Supreme; I use those on my touring bikes, but they wouldn’t be ideal for an around-town uni unless you want to take it off-road sometimes. There’s a new Big Apple HS which I haven’t tried yet but looks pretty similar to the old Big Apple.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yeah, it’s confusing, so many different marathons in different sizes, tread patterns, and compounds!

I’m also thinking about going into the 700 X 45C range, but not sure if that tyre size will be too narrow for the KH XC 37mm rim (or vice versa, the rim too wide for the tyre). This project is still in it’s dreaming stage; but it’s good to think about it and if the parts are on sale then I’ll pick them up for the build at a later date.

Cheers,

Dmac

I have had issues with the 2.0" tires blowing off the KH rim; I wouldn’t go narrower than that without going to a narrower rim. (And really, the KH rim is overkill if you’re just going to be toodling around town; get a touring bike rim instead).

The wheel build is so beautiful, it would be a shame to unbuild it! I’ll keep an eye out for a 2.0" tyre.

Cheers,

Dmac

Hello

How does using a wider or narrower rim change the feel of riding??

I have a 29" dominator2 rim and was wondering why its so wide compared to rims that mtn bikes used. It’s heavier…and able to accomodate wider tire?

The widest tire I will probalby use is the 2.4x29 ardent I have.

Would getting a thinner rim do me any good? would it feel unstable?

http://www.amazon.com/SunRingle-Rhyno-Lite-Silver-Presta/dp/B001CJZ6VG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

^ looks lighter…?

We use wide rims so we can use wide tires without the sidewalls folding over or the rim bottoming. So it depends on the kind of riding you do. I run a 29x2.0" on a narrow rim and it’s a great setup for riding around town or on fire roads, but I wouldn’t do real MUni on it.