29" vs Coker

You keep saying pi! It’s making me hungry!

:smiley: Me 2. :smiley:

I’ve read what most of you have said…

and from my experience with Coker riding in stop and go traffic, in crowded sidewalks, in lots of pedestrian traffic I have no problem acclerating, decelerating, and maneuvering around every person and in and out and around every obstacle I can find. I ride on 125’s and have no trouble stopping and accelerating quickly. I have never run into anyone. Maybe since I’ve been riding Coker since '99 I’m just use to it but I still don’t think I would have much more maneuverability with longer cranks. Just my two cents. I’ve never ridden a 29er and don’t really want to but that is just me. More power to those who chose to. Later.

Aj

In my experience, I’d say that trying to compare a coker to another unicycling is a mistake. To me, a coker is an entirely different animal. A lot of people have said that a coker is less versatile, hard to accelerate on, mount, and weave in tight places. However, to be honest, I never have trouble with it, and I’ve spent so much time on my coker that all these things come fluidly, making for a wildly smooth and invigorating. I would also say that getting this experienced on a coker helps A LOT with other forms of riding.

Welcome to the 29" crowd

Welcome to the 29" crowd.

I too was considering a coker and a 29". I too choose the 29".

In hindsight is was a good decision for me based on my riding skills.

I ride a 20" muni and can easily idle it, hop it, off road, freemount.

Then I got the 29"… Freemounting is harder (when loaded with backback and other stuff), idleing hard, hopping ok.

After over 250km on 29", I’m certain I made the right choice. I commute back and forth to work every day, even do some muni with it.

Maybe one day I’ll add a 36 to my stable but for now the 29" is the best all purpose uni for me.

With all this talk about stepping up to a coker, I just want to mention that in about 5 minutes i went from riding a KH20 to a coker, fairly efficiantly.

I really dont think you need a stepping stone to get there

oh, and I havnt ridden a 29er, but I think i would choose a coker over one anyway, just because of how much fun the coker is

Haha yeah, and you’ll have your new coker and dx MUni delivered in person next Sunday!..hopefully:o So get ready fo an all-day Muni/Coker adventure!:smiley:

jumped from a 20 to 26 inch easy

after a couple of days i was much better on 26 than i had ever been on 20 inch . now im looking at a 36 inch uni ,im looking for a change and some higher speeds and i dont think a 29er would really surprise me

First, I will state the obvious. I’m biased toward the 36er.

While I concede the the 29er is more maneuverable,lighter, cheaper, transportable …etc…

Riding a 36er is a different experience. It’s faster and more comfortable to ride at speed. It stands out more in a crowd. There’s more of a Wow! factor from observers. It’s real transportation. With experience, it’s plenty maneuverable in a crowd or in traffic, and free-mounting is something you get good at. I actually like it better in traffic since you’re more visible and cars give you a wide berth.

I don’t think getting a 29er is a required stepping stone to 36er riding. I got my 36er after riding for 6 months. I’ll never forget the felling of “OMG, I can’t believe I’m riding this beast!” I like to tell people who are intimidated when they first try a 36er that it gets smaller with experience.

biased towards a 29"

I asked myself what type of riding do I want to do.

1. Commute and long distance.
  2. XC and off road. Go where a bmx could go
  3. Fit on the back of my motorcycle or van for road trips.
  4. Play in the snow, go down grassy snow covered hills.
  5. Ride reasonably fast

I considered which is better for me 29 or 36
For me the answer between 29 or 36 was 29"

Since Sept I have ridden 480kms in many different weather conditions, day and night. It has served me well. I must admit I’m biased to the 29".

I also choose the 29" because my riding skills weren’t ready for a 36". Now I feel more confident with my riding skill to try one.

I concede that in order to compete in the Ride the Lobster race, I’ll need a 36".

Hopefully creamsicle (my 29" unicycle) won’t be too upset when I add a 36" to the stable.

To be honest, if it wasn’t for Ride The Lobster, I’d probably never have a 36".

There’s still hope, maybe a geared 29" instead.

Funny… I was just thinking the other day while riding my 29er that it seemed small. Had to make sure it wasn’t the 24. :wink:

A guy on the east coast went from a 20 to a 36 and attempted that rediculusly steep race w/ steveyo (I think it was Whiteface), like 6 months after first getting his 20.

I love being up in the air

I wish they made a bigger one. It’s a tire maker and tube hang up. I live in a flat area, with few stops, and lots of places to climb back on.

I bet I could ride a 46 !:slight_smile:

If I had more $ I would make them.:slight_smile:

Sounds like you need a geared up giraffe uni. Those will put you higher up and let you go pretty fast.

Got one, it’s not the same as the 36. Tree limbs get in the way more often when you ride the geared up giraffe. Takes more thought and planning of your route. Two speed hub gives you some gear slack to contend with also.

50 inch would be just right …