29" speed record (well, sort of)

I can proudly say that I am as fast with my unicycle as with our car, because my computer told me yesterday that I hit 174.5 km/h (~110mph?) with my Big Apple 29er.

Don’t know why it took me 1 hour 10 minutes for 17km, though.

Regards,
Juergen

And heres a picture of the whole speed machine. Its a Pichler frame .

i’ve just got a 29r with a big apple tyre!
tomorrow i’m trying it out for the first time! i can’t wait!

My riding partner hit a max speed of 367.9 km/hour (228.6 m/h) on a Coker. That explains why he kept passing me. I think that max recorded speed was due to bad connections in the wire for his cycle computer, but he seems to think the max speed was accurate. Hmmm…

367_9_max_speed.jpg

gee, and the highest i’ve hit on my 700c racer is 12.7 mph… looks like i’m in for a run for my money if I ever go to a race… :wink:

How do you secure the cycle computers? I was told at a bike store that it would be hard to mount it on a unicycle without handles (GB handles or something).

Re: 29" speed record (well, sort of)

That’s fine in Germany, because you can go as fast as you like on the Autobahn, unfortunately in Britain we are restricted to only doing 70 mph on our unicycles, how I envy you living in Germany.

Matt

Matt.P.Herbert wrote:
> That’s fine in Germany, because you can go as fast as you like on the
> Autobahn, unfortunately in Britain we are restricted to only doing 70
> mph on our unicycles, how I envy you living in Germany.

Actually speed limits in the UK apply only to motor vehicles, so you can
go as fast as you like on your unicycle. Of course, you might still be
liable to a charge of furious cycling, and you’re still not allowed on
the motorway.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine

Re: Re: 29" speed record (well, sort of)

That’s a pity. Whenever I ride faster than 100 kph on my unicycle I like to be on a high speed roadway.

It seems to me that beating a furious cycling rap would be easy. How are the cops going to prove you were furious? Just fake a road-runner smile when you whoosh past… Beep Beep!

Congratulations Liz. Why wait until tomorrow? If I got one I would try it out immediately. Do you have to cut down the seatpost or something? Have fun trying to beat 174.5 or 367.9 kph on your new unicycle! Have you named it yet?

I just mount mine to the seat tube since you can’t watch it while you’re riding anyway

I should add that my riding partner was Tom Jackson (goes by iunicycle here on the forum). I didn’t mean to leave out the credit for that high speed record.

I take it these wonderous speeds aren’t maintained for long. I don’t know much about speeds like that, but I know when I start going fast it gets really choppy and a bounce around. Maybe my seat is too low.

Oh yeah, juergen_brauckmann, I like your kitchen.

Nah, computers never fail. “Bad connections in the wire”, ts.
:wink:

Juergen

The only problem with this is you might break some plastic mounts (I’ve broken about 5). Sigma Sport makes computers with o-ring type mounts which won’t break on the seatpost. I don’t use them any more because it’s not an issue on my Wyganowski handle.

-Mark

Re: Re: 29" speed record (well, sort of)

That’s interesting, I didn’t know that you couldn’t get done for speeding on a pedal bike, I know that the police aren’t allowed to breathalise a cyclist.
I know that cycling on a motorway is illegal and so it should be, but some A road dual-carriageways aren’t alot different to a motorway with fast ajoining slip roads and the speed limit the same, I rode along one once (on a bicycle) never again, being between traffic each side of me going very fast was no fun.

Matt.P.Herbert wrote:
> That’s interesting, I didn’t know that you couldn’t get done for
> speeding on a pedal bike, I know that the police aren’t allowed to
> breathalise a cyclist.

AIUI there’s nothing to stop them breathalysing a cyclist, but the
result wouldn’t be admissible as evidence in court because there is no
set alcohol limit for cyclists. There is an offence of being drunk in
charge of a bicycle (I’ve no idea whether it applies specifically to
bicycles, or whether unicyclists and tricyclists could be charged), but
it’s really down to a policeman’s judgement as to whether you’re fit to
ride. And from all I’ve read (and IME), if you’re capable of riding a
unicycle then they’ll judge you not to be drunk.

I’ve had friendly comments from the police on a couple of occasions when
I’ve been yiking home from the pub after a few pints. On one of those
occasions, a WPC said: “I bet you couldn’t do that after a few pints.” :slight_smile:

Danny Colyer (the UK company has been laughed out of my reply address)
<URL:http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/>
“He who dares not offend cannot be honest.” - Thomas Paine