29" Rim

The Velo Orange Escapade came to mind, but it’s 665g.

Didn’t know that one, it seems they work with several shops here in Europe, so it might be possible to find one. But at the end of the day, it’s not much wider than the easy-to-find rims - it’s 21mm inside, where the most common size is 19mm.

Sidd, if you’re serious about your KH rim… we should talk! :slight_smile:

Wasn’t the kh 38mm rim also associated with tire explosions when inflating schwalbe road tires on it at high PSI?

I ran the Rhyno Lite on my 29er muni for about a year. A good rim for the price. and avail. in 36h. In the end I found it to be too narrow for optimal muni though - I had too much tire fold (using a Hans Dampf Super G 29x2.35) when carving really tight turns and during small side hops under lower pressure. That being said the rim was good enough for me to use for a year without going crazy. I think the Ryno Lite would probably make a great road / light muni rim. You’d be running higher pressure and probably not hopping much - so the narrower width would be OK.

If you’re interested in buying a used 36h rhyno lite rim, PM me. Not sure if it would be worth the shipping, but maybe.

Forgot to mention - I was able to run maggies with my Rhyno Lite on a nimbus drak 29er frame (a bit narrower than the current KH frame but maybe on par with older ones). I used standard mounts (not the offset tensile ones mentioned above).

The Rhyno Lites have a great sidewall designed for rim brakes. They are quite strong too. I’ve used them on my mountain bikes for the last 10 - 15 years and they’ve done very well.

That sounds about right. I’ve never had a tire wider than 2.1" on mine and I can see that happening. On pavement and easy trails, unpaved roads really, it’s been great for me.

I used my Magura HS11 brakset and measured:
~30mm between the mounting bolt and the brake pad at max extension + 27mm Rhyno Lite rim width + ~30mm (other pad to bolt) = 87mm (maybe 90mm) max width between your Magura mounting bolts for this rim to work on your frame.

It would be easy enough to test for yourself - just mount up your maggie brakes, adjust them to max inward position/reach, and measure the gap between them.

I sold my drak frame so I couldn’t measure the mount width on it, but the unis I do have (nimbus 24, 26, and older KH 24) all had almost 100mm between the mounting bolts. I know the Drak had a narrower profile than these unis, but I’m starting to wonder if maybe I didn’t actually run the Rhyno with the maggies.

Maggies With Rhyno Lite

It was bothering me to the point of distraction, so I mounted my Magura HS11 onto my nimbus steel 26 frame and they do fit the Rhyno Lite (plenty for grab). Whew! - I’m not crazy.

I did have to mount them as far in as they would go though.

Distance between Magura mounting bolts on the Nimbus steel 26 - 97mm.

Thanks for taking the time to do this!
That’s good news, what I would save on the brake extenders (reducers?), I would spend on the rim. Why not hey!
This rim is at a decent price, even new. Now I need to figure a way to bring it back in Europe as I don’t know if it would fit my regular suitcase…

I discovered another wide 700c / 29 rim-brake compatible rim in a 36 hole option:

The Velocity Cliff Hanger - 35mm outer width (slightly wider than the Rhyno Lite) $65 -85

Links:

there is a new 29’ rim in KH2017 set-up :

Yes but it’s a non-disc brake rim, and it’s even wider. So whilst it’s good news for our munis, it won’t help my specific setup.

Dear Pierre, this post is related to 29 rims, not only your concern :wink:

To be fair, Pierrox is the OP of this thread and it’s clearly about finding a narrower rim than KH rims for his G29 project, rather than talking about 29 rims in général.
Maybe the title of the thread is not specific enough.

New KH rims will be even wider than what we have now, clearly not matching his project.

What about the rims spec’ed on QX unis?
Or even the Alexrims DX32 that is found on the regular Qu-ax muni?

It is a rim strong enough and in the 32mm ballpark. And they have several different drilling including 36H.

They’re 40mm. (The Plus size ones are wider)

Just for future reference… here is what I did with the brakes as the pads couldn’t reach the rim I settled for (a Rigida Sputnik)!

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120857

I ran a Schwalbe Big One 2.35" on a H Plus Son Archetype rim at Unicon 19. It was good enough to come third so I guess it works just fine.

The rim is pretty strong, didn’t notice any flex, and has a braking surface. It is slightly narrower than your Mavic at 23mm. The deeper profile silver finish looks really good though.

Thanks for the feedback!
I kept my Big One until recently. I loved the look of it, the light weight, how I could fall into a turn with it. But I hated that it got 4 punctures in just a few months - the only uni I ever got a flat on. And I didn’t like how it reacted to road camber, and even to tarmac patches (when they fix a part of the road and you ride across, almost parallel, to the joint between the old and new tarmac).
I’m clearly nowhere near you as a rider, but those were too much to cope with for me and I wen’t to a narrower Marathon.