29" or 36"

first off i know there has been threads about this before but i made one anyways. I am desiding on witch one to git. i have some stuff that might help make it easier and i also have a few qestions.

stuff that might help
1.i live and would ride next to alot of hills(that are pretty steep)
2.i am pretty low on money and don’t have the money to buy a coker
3.I would take it with me on church bike trips that are on trials witch means i would take it off road
4.I would ride it probably atleast twice a week if not more.

questions
1.if I got a sun 28" would i need to get a 29" tire and put on it
2.what is a good seat for long distance
3.would it be ok to take a coker or a sunn 28" off road
4.what size cranks should i get

Thats all the questions for now

Coker and 29 are both perfectly rideable off road. The 29 will take shorter cranks and be almost but not quite as fast as the Coker.

You will know deep down inside if you’ve got to have the Coker and nothing else will do.

If you’re not sure, toss a coin to decide, and while the coin’s in the air, you will know which way you want it to land. Never fails.

I want the coker really bad but there is a few things that are keeping me from getting one.
1.I want something i can ride for a good long distance now
2.don’t want to have to save up for a coker
3.i don’t really know how much i like long distance riding because the only thing I hasve rode long distance was a 20" of mine and I" only went 5 miles.
4.I want it to fit in my bedroom
5.i have a bunch of big hill and I think I remember reading something about cokers and that 29" are better for hills

You wouldn’t have to, but 29ers are supposed to be faster. I only tried a 28" briefly (an ancient Nimbus) and found it much easier to idle than a 29". OTOH, the mass of a 29er is supposed to make cruising easier, and it should give you more cushioning over bumps.

I got a Nimbus 29er and it’s a nice smooth ride, although it took me quite a while to really appreciate it after my 20" learner uni - I found it heavy and a bit difficult to control. This passed with regular practice - even the Big Apple’s crawl down road crown doesn’t really bother me anymore.

The 29er also eats up cross country offroad riding very happily, although the wheel probably isn’t strong or nimble enough for technical riding, substantial drops, etc.

I find the Nimbus Gel Seat is a very comfortable saddle, others swear by the Miyata seats, the KH seats or by air saddle conversions. The latter can probably be done quite cheaply if you get seat parts or the right basic seat…

How much offroad? What sort of riding are you likely to encounter?

The Coker has a narrow hub and a flexible rim - it’s supposedly possible to taco it quite easily offroad. I’d guess if you’re not doing drops or hitting big rocks it’d probably hold up alright for a decent amount of time but you should really seek an opinion from someone who’s tried it.

I have an airfoil rim and UDC wide hub on my 36". This puts it out of your price range, I think, but it’s generally considered a strong, rigid setup, and suitable for going offroad with (although it’s still not a splined hub, so big drops are out of the question anyway).

I’d say, if you get a 36er, start out with 150s and then move up to 125s for more speed. I find 150s OK for some hills and light offroad, but depending on your leg strength and preferred gearing you may find hilly areas easier with even longer ones.

For a 29er I started out with 125mm cranks (or thereabouts). They work well enough for road riding, and light offroad. Shorter cranks would probably be better for smooth surfaces, and I wished I had longer cranks for some of the trickier offroad sections.

Also bear in mind that your leg length may affect what size uni wheel / crank length you can ride now - check before you buy.

I bought my 29er before the 36er and found the 36er not very hard to adapt to after getting used to a 29" wheel. It seems to be better for road riding without being significantly harder for me to handle, but I’ve had quite a bit of practice by now.

Bottom line is: 36ers are lovely, I’m very happy with mine. But 29ers have a greater choice of tyres, are easier to transport, mount, etc, are cheaper and are versatile. I think a 29er is a good stepping stone on the way to more expensive purposes.

You can convert between 28" and 29" by a simple tyre change (although a wider rim is better for a 29er), so you can play around reasonably cheaply with configurations.

ok i am going to go with the sun 28" a the classic seat i have thsat isn’t being used on any of my uni’s

I have a Sun 28" and it’s great. The seat may not be the most comfortable thing to sit on for long distances, but I can easily ride 2-3 miles without any stops or complaints.

I haven’t yet moved up to the 29" wheel like I initially told myself I would, but I have no regrets. At 28" the unicycle remains a speed demon (I’ve clocked myself at 15mph - try that on a 20" :p), and is still easily maneuverable.

Although I would love a Coker, I do not have the money for it at the moment and I am happy with my $120ish 28" Sun.

EDIT: oh yeah, a mexican guy in a van asked me if I could do any tricks on a unicycle. I was riding the 28" and wanted to show him something, just so he knew tricks could be done on a unicycle, so I did a little 180 hop. The rim twisted and remains out-of-true, but it’s still rideable. (It wasn’t the first 180 hop I’d done, either)

how much off road abuse could this take. all i would be doing is riding it i wont be doing any drops or hops just riding. also if it did break could I just keep every thing and a spined hub and crank set and a new rim then it would be a good xc unicycle wouldn’t it

> how much off road abuse could this take. all i would be
> doing is riding it i wont be doing any drops or hops just
> riding.

I’d have thought you’d be able to do occasional riding off road without breaking it, although I have no experience with the Sun 28".

What do you call offroad, though? Just bumpy trails, or really rocky rough stuff, or something smooth like fire roads?

> also if it did break could I just keep every thing and a
> spined hub and crank set and a new rim then it would be a
> good xc unicycle wouldn’t it

If you bent any spokes you’d need to replace those. I guess you’d be able to fit a new splined wheelset to the frame as long as the bearing size and spacing is compatible. You might want to check this (e.g. ask UDC).

Whilst you were getting the new rim, you could get a stronger one and maybe a better offroad tyre.

Others may have better advice for you than me, since I very rarely take my Nimbus 29er off road, so I can’t speak from much direct experience. These sorts of questions could probably be asked in RSU, by the way, but make sure you do a search of the archives to see if your questions are answered there first!