29" or 36"

Hey guys.
I’m 15 years old and have been able to ride a uni for 3 or 4 years now. I can idle and ride backwards. I was wondering if you think I should get a 29 inch or 36. I only have a 20" now so I am not sure if I could ride a 36.
Thanks!

As Killian would say… have you tried a search on the forum? Countless discussion about that question.

IMHO, 29" is already a big jump from 20", but at least it’s still maneuverable. Where the 36" requires bigger roads, more space, to be ridden.

If its distance riding you are after, and you really have to choose one or the other (as opposed to both :wink: ) I would go for the 36er, with wrist guards, helmet, knee pads etc etc. If you get the 29er for distance, I pretty much guarantee you’ll want the 36er after a couple of months, IME :slight_smile:

However, if its a mix of Muni and distance you’re wanting, the 29er all the way. Although, saying that, I love riding both on my 36er. I guess its how confident you feel, once you’re that high up…

My vote is for 36er, but I guess I’m biased, being a 36er rider myself :stuck_out_tongue:

I think it depends on what you want to do. If you just want to cruise around town, do some stuff in the park and occasionally go for a long ride the 29 would be a better option. You can do a lot with crank length to increase your top speed if you really want to. I have a 36" for long rides but use a 24" to go shopping.

If your’e considering a 36, that’s what you should get. But this is not an important decision. You will eventually end up with every wheel size known to man like the rest of us.

How true, and then you start thinking about an ultimate wheel or a giraffe or something similar:)

… and then you will start piling up crankarms in different lengths.

Dunno what height you are :thinking: Ideally, I would suggest you buy a cheap 29er and use it as a stepping stone before buying a 36er.

Although, at 15, you may not have much money to spend, in which case I’d suggest that you should just buy a 36er. If your legs are long enough :slight_smile:

You’re already a competent unicyclist but it may take a while to get used to the extra height and the extra speed and free mounting.

[CENTER]The answer is only one.
BOTH
:-)[/CENTER]
Nic

Hey now…

I would say that if you’ve been riding 3 or 4 years, you are plenty competent and should just get the 36.

Definitely one of each. Your question should therefore be, “Which one first?”

29: lighter more portable, easier to store, easier to freemount and ride, safer in crowds.

36: bigger, faster and it’s a 36.

If you’re going to have both, get the 29" first. Going from a 20" wheel to something bigger is an adjustment, not huge but different from what you’re used to. I’m going from 29" to 36" now and it’s been as big a step as 20" to 29", especially because 36" tires aren’t only larger but are also heavy even for their size.

I’m sure someone has made the jump straight from 20" to 36" and can talk about what that was like. My guess is that time spent on a 29" or something in between, even a 26" muni–getting used to being up higher, managing a heavier wheel, and riding nearly as fast as you can run when/if you UPD–would save you pain and grief if/when you get the 36".

This is exactly why I suggested a 36er, with all the safety gear you can wear. I learnt the hard, and painful way instead lol :wink:
I am one of those who went straight from 20in to 36er (with about 4 years experience riding) and I was riding a couple of wobbly miles on my second day with it…

As said above, it really depends what you wanna do with it. If you’re determined enough, you can ride anything you like…Including a uni with a square wheel apparently lol!

If you think you should get a 29 because the jump from 20 to 36 is too big, don’t worry about it, get the 36.

A 36 takes a while to get the hang of, you’ll be riding it the first day, but it may take a month to get comfortable riding it.

As someone who has only been riding a couple of months, I definitely agree with most of this. Oddly enough, I actually feel the most comfortable riding my 36 (as compared to my 24 and 29er) and I’ve only had it a couple of weeks; however, with that being said, this really only applies to flat(ish), continuous riding. Transitions and continuous inclines are currently more challenging on the larger wheel and will probably remain so. Freemounting is really only more difficult (i.e. near impossible) on inclines.

So far, I’ve found my 29er to be my best all-around unicycle. The OP may also want to keep his local topography in mind. While I’m sure that a person can tackle some incredible hills on a 36, here in the mountains I’ve found a number of areas that seem very impractical on the 36. Obviously, this is something that will likely change as my riding abilities improve. On the 29er, however, I can fairly easily tackle any incline that I can on my 24.

If you have access to good trails, I’d buy a 24" Muni before getting a larger, road unicycle. Aside from that, I’d go right for the 36". You already have a 20", which you can use to learn practically any technique (but which will not go fast). A couple caveats regarding the 36": Is it hilly where you live? Will longer rides keep your interest? Are you going to wear proper safety gear with the 36"? If you get a larger unicycle, you’re going to love how you feel going from it…back to your 20"…you will feel very strong!

This is how you’ll end up with Many sizes.
The mind wonders. (.hmmmmmms’)
with tons of questions to be answered,
and to have your mind at peace you’ll have to lighten your wallet from time to time.
When it is finally fulfilled, you’ll probably settle for 2 or 3 favorites, of your very own personal favorites;)

Just be warned…After you’ve had a week of solid riding on a 36er, be careful getting back on a 20in. I speak from experience, having gone flat on my face! I think its because I went to set off, after freemounting, expecting the momentum of the wheel to keep my feet going, after the first pedal down. How wrong I was! :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh boy, SOO right. Not just limited to 36ers or 20" either. As you know, I was primarily a 29er rider for a long time. Met a local guy who had a 20" Nimbus trials, tried getting on it and yeah, SPLAT!

More recently, I went for a long ride on my 29er a few weeks ago. First mount attempt after nothing but 36ering for months, and same thing! :smiley: Could’ve been the long cranks I’d put on the 29er too, it felt so tiny and light!

Yeah, the crank length might not have helped me either. I went from 125s on my 36er, to 150s on my 26er.