29" Discussion thread

I really like the WTB Exiwolf (2.3) for a mix of road and offroad, and I think others on the forum do too.

After following someone off of a 2 foot drop with a bit of a sideways landing yesterday, I’m thinking about trying a 2.5 too for bigger drops.

I’ve got a Bontranger Jones tyre. It’s great.

Bontranger Jones tire

Is that a street tire Cathy

No, it’s an off road tyre, or whatever you would like to call it. But I think it rides better on the road than the Kenda Klaw.

I am getting a 29! I am soo excited! Its a bedford with a Kenda tire…So I will use it for lond distance and cross country…But no drops since it is Cotterless…I am very excited! I will post a pic when I get it!

Congradulation Isaac

Congradulations. Welcome to the 29".

Let us know how you find it. Don’t expect to master it in one day.

Be prepared for a difference in freemounting, idling, and greater speed.

Going up and down hills/inclines may also offer new challenges till you build up your familiarity to it.

haha okay…is it really that much different…It will feel good from riding a 29" and then going to a 20" because It will feel small and feel amazing for Trials…:smiley:

I ride both 20" and 29" daily

I ride 10+Km’s daily back and forth to work on 29".

When I come home I practice on my 20"

To be honest when I switch between 29 back to 20 my freemount, idle, is throw off.

Each pedal crank travels shorter or farther between the two.

For example:
When I freemount 20" my crank is at the 3’oclock position, and I don’t hang onto the handle.
When I freemount the 29" my crank is at the 5’oclock postition and I hang onto the handle to mount.

I find bunny hopping the same.

Try idling for the first time and let me know how that goes. To be honest I have no problems idling on my 20" but can’t do it on 29". It may be my technique but practice should cure that.

haha okay I will when I get it! I did the Terry Fox Run on my 20" boy my butt was sore after that but that was with a KH Fusion Street saddle and the KH Fusion is a ton more comfy.

I am very excited! I can wait!!!

Hey I got it today! I love it so much!!! I will post pics tommorow! And it flys! And yes it is hard to idle not mount though…:slight_smile:

Ok this morning I went for a 6 km ride and boy i did it fast. I could do so much more…I can just tell…I am very excited to get into distance…And right now i Dont have a camera…Well maybe I do so I might post pics today.

Okay i just took a picture.

:astonished: That’s a very nice unicycle you have there isaac. :astonished:

I’m in love. :smiley:

Thank you. I am very pleased with it. I got it used for $120. I am really liking it alot! I will have to make a video maybe…haha a little harder to do that though :roll_eyes:

You just need metal, pinned pedals and it will be perfect! They really do help with grip a lot, and on a 29er (on the road at least), there is very little risk of destroying your shins :smiley:

Is it possible to buy a 29" Torker (LX) and use it for commuting And muni? I want to be able to ride in the snow, particularly.

Thanks.
-Connor

Unless you can get it custom made. You get this one, i’m not sure about the MUni though.

Doesnt need to be custom. KH makes a 29" uni that will easily take some good muni trials.

Nimbus also makes a 29" uni with ISIS hub for the price of the Torker AX. You could also upgrade the cranks to KH moment cranks for extra strength and almost have a uni identical to the KH, but half the price.

The Torker AX that Hazmat linked to uss a cotterless wheelset, and those wont hold that well on muni.

Even though the muni generally done on a 29" or bigger wheel isnt that demanding, and cotterless cranks are usually all you need to manage the trails, it is just better to go with ISIS. It is still a very cheap option, and will be so much stronger than a cotterless hub.

Which is why i said that i’m not sure about the MUni though. :smiley:

Haven’t tried muni on 29" yet

So far I have used my 20" exclusively for muni.

I use my 29" for long distance riding and commuting to work.

Not sure if my legs are strong enough to muni with 29"

Maybe its my cranks, or confidence level but I haven’t muni’ed with 29"