29" Discussion thread

I am more of a fan of the GB4 handlebars.

I had a Yuni 29er that was great for a while. It got me interested in distance unicycling and I rode it everywhere. However, once I got a coker…I almost never got back on my 29er. I ride my coker everywhere and it goes most of the places that I took my 29er, if not more(in the sense that I travel further distances with it). The 29er will be better on a singletrack muni ride and steep climbs, but the coker will outshine the 29er on the road and light trails.

My old 29er setup:

GB4 handle

Where can you get that GB4 handle and how does it mount?

Thanks.

Me too:D
I can’t keep my arms still for toffee.(see my sig)
The computer got taken off my mtb years ago, I just stopped worrying about how far and started enjoying the pedalling, the cakes and the lovely cups of tea so no computer for me.

I have a Nimbus 29er Muni which I have fitted an old BMX brake to and swapped the tyre and the saddle, both for comfort.

The trials uni is for learning stuff on, hoping mainly, and letting friends have a play on.

I have been talking to Darren Bedford the last couple of days about getting a 29", and Was pretty sure I would like to have one, and this thread is sealing the deal!

I have never rode on a big wheel before, I have a 24" but I would assume that it is much different! If I had the money I would go for the 36" but all I can afford right now is the 29"! So I should be getting one in the next few weeks! I hope it is worth it!

Rustnail I just got my 29 from Darren Bedford

!!!OH MY GOD I LOVE IT!!!

It arrived at 7:00PM and I’ve been riding it since.

Darren is great to work with. The best way to contact him is by phone.
Don’t bother with email, call him direct on the phone.

I called him this Sunday and ordered it, it arrive today.

Believe me he is the one to deal with, yes expect to pay a little more but the quality is there and expect he’ll be arround for awhile.

Hey I know about Darren, have been dealing/riding with him for the past 2 years now! Lol, He really is a great guy!

Thanks for the positive feed back! I will hopefully have it a week today!

I just never got comfortable with it. If I tilted it up, then it was in the way when I mounted. If I tilted it down then I had to bend over to reach it. I like to sit pretty much upright when I ride. It also added weight to the front of the unicycle which had a slight impact on sharp turns.

I might try it again sometime but for now I ride without the T7.

http://gb4mfg.com/

has some info on it

It mounts under the seat, if you have a miyata base with a stiffener plate, or a carbon fiber base

It looks like unicycle.com doesn’t have it in stock anymore…maybe George Barnes will manufacture some more of them? I don’t know what his plans are.

So…i guess the only touring handle you can get that is available is the T7.

First 24 hours with My 29er

Creamsicle arrived 7:00pm yesterday.

I managed to put under 20km on it before it got too dark to ride the trails, then went to the sidewalks and street lights on till even later.

Went to bed late, got up and 6:00am and rode to work (12 km round trip).

Here’s my first impressions.

1. Love the powder coat orange color and matching seat.
  2. Standing 29" & 20" back to back saddle heights are identical
  3. Standing 29" & 20" back to back wheel size difference is huge.
  4. Seat on 20" is a KH Seat. Seat on 29" is KH fusion freeride (29er more comfortable).
  5. Freemounting 20" is a peice of cake. No effort.
  6. Freemounting 29" is a battle, much more wheel inertia to overcome, requires more strength in legs. Can freemount 20% of time.
  7. Crank Length 20" is 5", Crank length 29" is 5" (Same)
  8. 29" and 20" both good on slight grade up hills. Harder to start with 29".
  9. 20" little effort going down hills
  10. 29" some hills I have to walk down.
  11. 20" no speed, little old ladies pushing walkers pass you.
  12. 29" Can go faster than slow joggers, and slow bikers.
  13. Still learning to idle but feel more comfortable idle on 20"
  14. Still learning to hop but feel more comfortable hopping on 20"
  15. Find I don’t swing my arms arround as much on 29", must be due to speed.
  16. Plan on doing 60 - 80 km per week. Not sure how kenda tire will hold out.
  17. Going to need a light for early and late rides, need to mount it somewhere.
  18. Kenda tire is noisy and reminds me of winter tire on pavement. This isn’t an issue since I have headphone and music on.
  19. No UPD so far, never had one on 20" either. Knock on wood.

Until Coker comes out with theirs.

Sounds like you’ve got your saddle much too low. At a minimum, the height between the centre of the wheel and the top of the saddle should be the same (on the basis you have the same size cranks) on both. However, saddle heights on 29ers are generally higher so that your leg is more fully extended, which will make longer rides much more comfortable.

STM

(Oh, and welcome to the 29" world by the way!)

I’ve just put 115mm cranks on my 29er (swapped from 125s). They are fab. No noticeable loss of control but so fast! It’s almost impossible to ride slowly. I love them.

Not quite ready to put them on my N36, but hope to one day soon.

Hey legtod can you post up some pics of your new 29er. Sounds good.:smiley:
And I am getting a nimbus 29er in 1 week exactly. Cant wait!:slight_smile:

Replies

Semach.the.monkey. Thanks, you are probably right about the saddle height. I did notice my legs don’t extend all the way.

Cathwood. I am ordering an extra set of cranks, railbar seat adjustment. Like the idea of being able to go faster but still have control.

Municycler. Will post creamsicle after I shrink the picture (allowed only 800x600 resolution and less than 1 meg size)

Introducing Creamsicle

Here is a picture of my 20" and 29" (Creamsicle)

Notice the size comparison of my 5year old son and 29"

creamsicle_small.JPG

unis_small.JPG

Nice unicycles you have there.

Would you buy your son a 29er someday or will you let him ride yours. :smiley: :smiley:

I’ve tried 150, 125, 115 and 100 on my 36er. I think my favourites were the 125s; I have 115s on there at the moment but the reduction in control results in me not actually going any faster than the 125s and feeling less comfortable.

115 feels a bit hairy but OK. The 100s felt very hairy so I was actually slower; I didn’t really give them a fair try though.

I’m sure 115s will feel OK if I stick with them, but for my urban riding I’m inclined to stick with the control and speed of the 125s.

I am interested about your Kenda tire. Do you feel much effect from road crown? I have a Big Apple tire which is very difficult to ride on slanted surfaces. I would be willing to put up with road noise if the ride was better on slanted roads/sidewalks.

Kenda tire

Not sure if this is the tire or me.

Today I put another 20km’s. Some on a sidewalk. The sidewalk tilts towards the road for drainage. It felt like the unicycle wanted to tilt in the direction of the drainage rather then stay straight veritical. This caused me to sit crocked on the saddle to compensate (about 2 km).

The crown of my 20" tire seem more rounded (then the 29" kenda tire) so the tilts in the sidewalk where no problem. It may be the lower crown or the tread pattern I’m not sure. Perhaps its my imagination and I’m still have some kms to travel on creamsicle till I figure every thing out.

If I had a different tire I’d be able to say more about it.

Do other 29" riders experience problems with road crown/tilted sidewalks?