29" Discussion thread

Wheel Walking

I’m to the point now that I’ve started working on wheel walking. So far, I’ve had more success with the 29er than the 24". Does it make sense that it would be easier to learn to wheel walk on larger wheels (more foot room/speed?) or is it just me that is more comfortable on the 29?

Immigration from 'Fav Mount on 29" ’ thread

Sure is hot in here!

We have an ongoing coversation about 29" tires that is moving here from another thread. Two of us have ordered Schwalbe Marathon Supremes based on the recommendations of Scott ttocs and others…

Hey everybody, read this thread more than once while I dreamed of a 29". I’ve had my Nimbus 29" touring for a about a week and have been exchanging information with DeadBeatPope whose had his a little longer.

Actually I ordered the 2" Big Apple to save a little money and because shipping was cheap and fast where I ordered it from. The other sites price match on the Marathon Supreme ending up being only a very slight discount. Three whole dollars off of of $57.

I rode my 165 cranks tonight. I didn’t love them. I’ll use them for awhile but I’m ordering some 150 nimbus cranks to put on it once I’ve developed some leg strength/endurance.

I like the nimbus cranks. They are light and have a little bit of q-factor which I like. Love the price only $20.

People have said good things about the BA’s too, I’m sure you’ll like them. Shipping is slow for my tire - I think it is coming cross country by unicycle. I have been doing some light trail riding on the Duro tire and it is holding up pretty well. Hopefully the Marathon Supreme will handle a little off-roading as well.

165’s seem long for road work but they probably help on big hills and mounts. I am using the 125’s, they have taken some getting used to but I am really only having a hard time with steep downhills.

I lowered my seat a few days ago and it helped. Made it easier to mount and gave me more slack to lean the wheel for turns. Just make all of your motions deliberate and slightly more exaggerated and boom all of your control is back :smiley:

I went out and rode my 26" with 165 cranks yesterday. I’m going to change them to the 150s. I just think the 165 is to much work for climbing. When I’m seated, the climb is alright. When it gets steep enough to stand and pedal, the cranks are just too long and it’s awkward. I like the 137s better than the 125s. I wish I had dual holes with 135s and 150s. Most people would find that too close to be worth it, but it would work well for me.

UPS man came

Got the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme today. I couldn’t believe the weight difference OMG!

My inner tube was a little stretched out and I found myself kind of stuffing it in there so I took some advice from MIKEPENTON and used a smaller sized tube - 26". It was a little harder to mount the tire with the tube kind of stretched around the rim but it worked and the weight difference was substantial.

It rolled noticeably easier. I rode several miles but not in the usual stomping grounds and lots of wind. Tomorrow I will try some of my usual challenges and see how I do…

Ezas…saw your post in the other thread. Get well soon. Rib pain sucks:(

It was MBALMER who crashed. I was just wishing him to heal up quick.

Glad to hear you like the Marathon supreme. I told you the duro easy ride is a pig of a tire. All the 29er bike guys swear by using 26" tubes to save some weight and money. I’m good with fiddley stuff so i’m not woried about mounting the tire. Did you talc you tire to help mount it?

So a light tire and a light tube, you must be loving life.

I’m going to hit the LBS tomorrow for a 26" tube. I’m heading out in a little bit to do some more time on the 29.

Sorry - MBALMER get well soon!:o

I didn’t talc the tire. Just had to get the inner tube out of the way so the tire bead could fit next to the rim wall. Since the tube was stretched in there it kind of wants to hug the rim wall itself. Don’t know if talc would help.

Weight difference is huge!

Ha ha ha. Mbalmer is a “she.”

Thanks deadbeat and ezas. I checked with my doc to make sure the pain was just annoying and nothing more. He said all was good. It will hurt for several weeks but I’m good to ride. Saturday I’ll be doing a hilly ride with my son-in-law. The weather should be ideal.

Learn something new everyday… I blame the internet.

Schwalbe Marathon Supreme for $44.79

Just saw this; wish I needed a new tire. . .

http://www.amazon.com/Schwalbe-Marathon-Supreme-Folding-Kevlar/dp/B000QSXXOQ

Yeah, That’s where I got mine.

road and xc

I assume some of you use the same uni for road and xc riding. Do you keep switching tire all the time or did you find one that was good for both?

I use the same uni for both (29" Nimbus Touring). My tire has been getting me through some rough stuff but it isn’t ideal for it by any means. I live near more pavement than dirt but have more fun in the dirt once I get there.

I also have a 24" street uni with a BMX tire that I have used for muni work. I have no experience with a proper fat off road tire.

You were right.

And in response to canuck. I was pondering this very question yesterday until I took my Nimbus29/BigApple on a firmish gravel track. NOT GOOD. I guess it’s inflated for road use but this and lack of tread made it skip about on the loose stones… even small ones. I certainly couldn’t be arsed to change tyre. Horses for courses… I use my KH24 with the knobbly 3"tyre off road.

You say that Big Apple doesn’t fit offroad? That’s a pity. I’m currently having Kenda Klaw on my wheel (changed for the winter) and I like it for offroads, but I feel that’s overkill for going around the city. I was thinking about getting my Big Apple back on the wheel, but I don’t want to loose the possibility of going into some small path.
I think I’ll wait with the change until everything dries a bit more. It would be good to have a universal tyre, but anyway I’m not buying any now as I have two pretty new ones.

Assuming you have the 2.35 version, lowering the pressure will help the stability off-road. I’ve been using a 2.35 Big Apple for equal amounts of on and off road since last October and have only wanted for more grip in loose sandy sections of fire road or when the trail gets rocky. For roads, fire roads, and hard packed dirt trails the Big Apple is a pretty decent compromise. I do want to venture into some of the more technical trails on the 29er and I have a 2.5" Kodiak on the way for that purpose.

I second that. I used the big apple 2.35 for all my (dirt trails, gravel, roots, pine needles, sand) offroad riding for a while, and the only part of that it didn’t handle was deep sand.
The thing that made me eventually switch to a more tready tire was mud (and I’m still not any better off in the deep sand).

I run a BA 2.0 successfully for moderate dry dirt roads and trails. I note that in addition to mud, the other condition where the BA falls short is in snow. I have a WTB Stout for more extreme conditions, but I like the BA a lot more for road or mixed road/dirt trail conditions, because it’s lighter and faster.

teaser

I just finished up building up the widest 29er unicycle wheel ever built (to my knowledge)

Pics and details when i get back up north (where my camera is) :slight_smile: