29" Discussion thread

I’m having good luck with the WTB Wolverine 2.2 on the nimbus cruiser.

Thank you both!

I hadn’t seen that until now. Thanks for digging that out of the files for me.

Recently I came across a pair of SB8s on craigslist barely used for $25 but was busy with work and couldn’t get them. The other night I saw a MTB with them and thought they looked like a good choice for the uni.

It appears that these 3 tires are within about 5 bucks in price so that isn’t a motivator. The SB8 is the lightest, goes up to 80psi and seems like it would have the least rolling resistance by tread pattern. I think I’ve made my choice but I like to chew on an idea before I lay down the plastic. I like to hear what my fellow uni-tics have to share too.

Before I decided to go with a ridiculously heavy Kodiak for my 29" I was seriously considering the Geax Saguaro 2.2" for mixed road and trail use. According to the [url=http://mtbtires.com/site2/tire-specs/65-700c–29q/62-29q-700c-tire-specs]29er spec comparisons it has a good combination of weight, width, and volume. Several reviews I read mentioned how well it worked at low pressures which is a good indication of decent sidewalls (relatively speaking, like most 29er tires it is a single ply tire after all).

Before I decided to go with a ridiculously heavy Kodiak for my 29" I was seriously considering the Geax Saguaro 2.2" for mixed road and trail use. According to the 29er spec comparisons it has a good combination of weight, width, and volume. Several reviews I read mentioned how well it worked at low pressures which is a good indication of decent sidewalls (relatively speaking, like most 29er tires it is a single ply tire after all).

That is a handy little chart. What convinced you to go with the “ridiculously heavy” Kodiak?

I was running a 2.35 Big Apple for off-road and decided I wanted a tire with more grip but didn’t want to give up much volume or sidewall strength. That pretty much eliminates everything except the Kodiak and Dissent. I chose the Kodiak due to the rounder profile, higher width/height/volume (based on that spec chart), and lower price despite the extra weight over the Dissent. So far I’ve been very pleased with the Kodiak for my riding (more here) but wouldn’t necessarily recommend it for everyone.

Sorry to break in, I didnt think this needed a new thread.

Im just curious, Im lookin for a unicycle for commuting to work and what not… not usually too far. The farthest I ever see myself going regularly is maybe 10 miles. Would a 29" be alright for this? Or would it be worth it to go for a 36"?
If the 29" is alright does a touring handle work on that? Would it be worthwhile to get? Or is that really only needed on really long journeys?
I am interested in the 29 because of a couple things, I want to be able to save some money and its a little cheaper and comes with an isis hub, thats nice because I could trade out cranks or anything like that between my uni’s… I also think it would be nice to take this on trails sometimes and do some basic riding out there…

Any suggestions?

For the kind of riding you are describing you could be happy on either. If you are getting it primarily as a road machine 36 wins in my book. From my experience I can say that once you get a taste of speed on the 29 you will want the 36. It is nice to be able to switch out cranks between uni’s, but decent cotterless cranks are so cheap it doesn’t cost a lot to have a variety for your Coker.

As for cost, you can build up a solid 36’er for just over $300 if you are so inclined.

Thank I never saw that one… Appreciated very much. I think I might just build up the 36… Do you know if that TA tire is actually decent? I live in the seattle area so there is almost always water on the ground. Im not worried about rusting, Im used to that. I just want to know if I will be riding on a slip-n-bleed…

I just re-tired my Coker button tread, and replaced it with the TA. So far I really like this tire. I can’t say how it is on wet pavement, but I would think it should be good. I don’t think it would fair very well in mud, or that kind of slippery gunk.

I just got back from a 12 mile ride and the TA was smooth, quiet, and I could feel how much lighter it is than my old tire. I’ll let you know more as I put more miles on. At this point I’ve only had the tire for a few days.

Another plus is that the TA is supposed to last thousands of miles.

Warning to the dirt:

Just ordered the Small Block 8 from amazon. $37.99 and free slow shipping.

I was pretty much set on getting a KH 29", now I’m not sure. Thanks for ruining my decision.:stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe both?:smiley:

Both would be a nice option if you can swing it. I had to unload my 29’er to make room for the 36. I don’t regret it, but at the same time I am so much more comfortable being up high now that I could see taking the 29’er onto trails I never would have attempted before. Right now I’m building up a 26" MUni wheel so, my 24 will be going away. I wish I could afford to keep all of them, but it’s not in the cards right now.

I’m certainly not trying to confuse the issue. The 29’er is a great multipurpose machine. I loved my 29’er, and hopefully my larger MUni will fill the gap that left with that uni.

Yah, I’m going to be doing a combination of on/off-road riding on the 29" more XC though so a 36" wouldn’t be bad at all. I just also want something that can roll over stuff and do some downhill decent enough and fast. Still not sure…

29ers handle technical stuff well enough right?

That’s all in the rider. Have you seen the new 36’er MUni vid from the Unigeezer? If he can do that stuff on a Coker, any of it can be done on a 29’er by the right person. Remember, Uni’s don’t shoot people… people shoot people. Or something like that.

I get yah. And it’s bullets don’t kill people wholes in vital organs kill people.

I’m thinking it will be the more ideal setup, I’ll probably eventually gear it up once I get the money as well. Even got my crank size picked out for the uni ungeared already should be legit once I get the money. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for all the help.

I had my first (really short) ride on my new 29er today. me thinks me likes. :slight_smile:

Hey Sas, I think you said you used to ride cranks around a 100mm (maybe less) on your 29". How small (cranks) and how fast could you go? I’m thinking of at least getting some 100mm cranks for my 29". Looking into somehow making some 137/100’s, but not sure how to do that yet. Probably buy some KH 137’s and find someone skilled with a milling machine. I really do think that 137/100’s would be ideal, just don’t know how to go about making it.

Yah I used to run 102s on my 27x1-1/4 it was pretty good with the lighter wheel but I crashed when I was experimenting with adding weight to the wheel. I was going around 35km/h when I crashed but generally was able to average around 20km/h on the road. It was really not much slower than I was with a 36 running 125s

I was also pretty inexperienced at the time and could probably handle 100mm cranks much better now.

Thanks. Hopefully I won’t be too inexperienced.:slight_smile: