28" inseam

Is a custom frame my only option for a 24" Muni?? So far I haven’t found a frame that has a 28" inseam minimum…never mind a 26" wheel :slightly_frowning_face:

inseam

I struggled to find a way to fit my 8 year old daughter with a 25" inseam on a 24". And on 4" cranks. It is possible. You just need a short neck frame. Short cranks help too. I think it’s a sun frame. Hear is her 24 .

2017-01-18 17.03.34.jpg

I have a 29" inseam and ride a newer 24" Nimbus muni (probably made in the last year or so). The minimum inseam length for 24" unicycles that you’re looking at could be taking the stock seatpost and crank lengths into account. On my Nimbus muni, even with 150mm cranks, I still have plenty of room to lower the saddle, and you’d easily fit on it. With shorter cranks, I actually have to raise the saddle and sit higher.

I know there were some 24" Nimbus frames that were too tall for me, but those were made a while back. One of my buddies has one of those (I think it’s about 10 years old). It has a really long seat tube, and it’s about an inch too tall for me with the saddle lowered as far down as it will go and with 125mm cranks. Even that can be remedied by cutting down the seat tube (that’s the part the seatpost fits into), but that’s a bit more involved and requires more consideration and modifications than a simple cut.

On my Nimbus muni, I just had to cut the seatpost, which is a lot easier than you might think and a very common thing to do. All I had to do was take a hack saw and cut off about three inches, and it only took a few minutes. It doesn’t have to be pretty or even straight since the cut will be hidden inside the seat tube. You just have to cut off enough so that it doesn’t hit the tire (or bottom out in the seat tube) when you lower it to fit your inseam. You don’t want to cut off too much as you need a minimum amount of length inside the seat tube to support you properly, so I started with two inches, and then cut an extra inch off when that wasn’t quite enough. Even if you totally screw it up, seatposts don’t cost much, and in fact, you might just find a shorter one to buy if that works out. My muni came with a 300mm, and if I had spent an extra $20, I could have gotten a 200mm seatpost, and I wouldn’t have had to cut anything.

One last thought is about the saddle itself. I was trying to fit on a friend’s Titan 36er, and I couldn’t quite reach the pedals, even with 125mm cranks. My friend had a KH saddle on it (I think it was a Freeride), which sits pretty tall. I replaced it with one of my Nimbus Gel saddles, which sits about in inch lower, and I was able to fit on it perfectly.

For me, crank length, seatpost length, and the height of the saddle all played a part in whether or not I could fit on a particular unicycle and are things that can be changed or selected when you buy one. I’m not sure if there are actual specs on how high a particular saddle will sit above the seatpost, but it is something to consider when you’re trying to shave off that last inch or so.

I don’t know how much all this helps, but hopefully it gives you an idea of different things to look out for. As someone with a short inseam myself, this is something I’ve had to deal with a couple of times, and I know it can be a bit frustrating. Good luck!

inseam

Unicycle.com is likely your best bet, much more options,generaly better quallity. … Amazon sells mostly entry level unicycles. I saw a Diamondback titled unicycle with a short neck that might fit the bill. I think my daughters is a sun with round shoulders. This can be found on amazon or ebay, not expensive.

inseam

This is the measurement you need to look for. This one is 5" 1/8. I think this can be found for under $100

thanks

So much for the encouraging reply…I have no problem cutting a seat post but wouldn’t want to have anyone hacking into a brand new frame…even if they know what they are doing lol…

Small things can also make a difference. I normally ride with Five Ten Impact shoes, that have pretty beefy soles. If I hop on for a quick ride with regular thin-soled shoes I can feel the difference. There are also different pedal thicknesses.
Just a couple other things to look at/consider. Cheers! :slight_smile:

I have a 27" inseam but managed Ok on a Qu-ax 24" muni once I changed the cranks down to 134.

There’s hope!! :smiley:

I was thinking that one of the most critical measurements on the unicycle would be from the top of the seat tube to the center of the crank arms where they bolt to the axle. If that length is too long, there’s little you can do about it without cutting the seat tube. You could also measure from the bottom of the frame to the top of the seat tube, which is about 1/8th to 1/4th inch difference. The length of the seat tube is important, but I’m not sure that there is a standard fork length, so measuring the entire frame would seem to take that all into account.

The total length of my 24" Nimbus muni frame is about 20" (see attached photo), and with a Nimbus Gel saddle and 138mm cranks, and I could lower my saddle about two more inches. With this config, I’m sure you could fit on it, however, the Nimbus 24" muni comes standard with 150mm cranks. That means you’d likely need to sit about a half inch further down, which might still fit, however, saddle height is a matter of preference (I might have mine set higher or lower than you would), and there are other factors as well that have been mentioned above. I’d say it’s going to be close. I think the Nimbus Gel saddle is a good choice because it sits lower than a lot of other saddles and it’s wider and more curved, making it easier to freemount and ride for beginners.

I would make sure not to get anything with cranks longer than 138mm and a frame that’s no longer than 20". Those are things that are pretty easy to measure and should be easy info for the seller to provide you with.

Thanks Brad

I did end up ordering this one with the 200mm seat post and the 127/150 cranks…according to Josh at UDC I should be okay…I expect it Friday … Oh and I also got a slick tire to start with…

Cool! Enjoy! :slight_smile: