26" vs 27.5" muni

I want to buy a muni as my second unicycle, my first one being a 20" that I bought to just get familiar with the basics.

What would be the overall best muni for me, 26" or 27.5"?
How do you like these sizes yourself?

To my understanding the 26" are more and more being phased out and being replaced by 27.5".

I recently got a QU-AX 27.5" and like it a lot.
But I’m a very “young” unicyclist so I really cannot compare sizes.

When I got my Muni, 26 was the popular size. I also agree that 27.5 is slowly taking over as the popular Muni size. I went with the 26, now I wish I got the 27.5 for a little more speed.

You are in luck!

I’m new to the sport only 2 months. I learned on a Club 20 with 114 cranks then after being good enough to ride around I borrowed a friends Nimbus 26 with 165 cranks. I was able to ride the 26 fine but it’s a “Tank”. 26 had a heavy knobby tire but fun. I too wondered about 26 vs 27 but in the end bought the Oracle 27.5 150 cranks (stock) and really enjoy it. The tire that came on 27.5 rolled so much smoother I was able to turn and keep it straight better then the more agressive on on the 26.
By the way the 27.5 is bigger but not by much. When I but the two next to each other the tire was only an 1 taller. I’m 58 years old 5’9" 155 lbs and only been riding a short time. No real off road use yet other then riding in grass.

You will get used to the "heavy’’ tire on the 26 pretty quickly.

By the way I got the 27.5 because I plan on doing a lot of street riding and “Mild” off roading like dirt roads and easy trails. It could be the 26 is better for more wild off roading and tighter turns??? Hopefully someone with that kind of expereince will chime in. If that’s the kind of riding you want to do.

Josh at unicycle.com was telling me if I went with the 26" that I could use the “Halo Twin Rail” tire they sell for the kind of riding I was thinking of doing.

One last thing as I just went through this all…If you are looking at the Oracle lineup the 26 weighs 1 pound more then the 27.5. Josh at unicycle.com told me it’s because of the heavier tire on 26. Folks all told me I’d be happy with either but also often said to get 29". The 29 I felt would be to big of a jump of my scared old bones. Cheers

There’s just not a lot of difference between a 27.5 and a 26. They roll over about the same, they weigh about the same, and the largest difference is going to come down to tire choice. There’s nothing inherently wrong with either, but you arguably have more tire choices in the future with 27.5. There are lighter 27.5x3 options, so that would sway me. Speed wise? <<1mph difference with the same cranks.

The erd of a 26 is 559mm, 27.5:584, 29:622
This means that there’s a 25mm difference in erd of the 26 and the 27.5, and a 38mm difference between a 27.5 and a 29er. Simply put, a 27.5 is closer to a 26 than a 29, and if you see the two beside each other and ride them, they feel very similar. It’s a marketing gimmick to sell more bikes. If it wasn’t, then they wouldn’t be phasing out 26 because it would still have a place in the market. The only place it’s still used are touring/internationally, fat bikes, and in dh.

I also wonder about the difference in turning. Might not be too much of a difference I suppose? For the 27.5" the Nimbus Oracle looks great.

My Oracle 27.5 came stock with the “Stadium” style seat and I like it. Remember I’m new to this sport so what I say means very little. I just know that seat feels way better then the seat on my Club 20.

That’s a great saddle, but it’s one that needs to be held whilst riding to fully appreciate it.

As far as 27.7: go for that one, more tire choice!

In crude terms, 27.5 inches is only 6% more than 26 inches. Compare that to a typical road racing bicycle and it’s less than the difference made by 1 tooth on the rear block. It’s negligible. It may be a tad better in one set of conditions and a tad worse in another set of conditions, but a difference of 6% in the gearing is neither here nor there over a mixed ride. What you gain on the flat, you lose on the hills, and vice versa, but for most people on mist rides, most of the time, it won’t be noticeable.

Of course, the exact difference in rolling diameter will vary depending on the tyre choice. A fat 26 compared to a skinny 27.5 would be a smaller difference.

Therefore, it is not a case of choosing the wheel size on the basis of perfect “gearing” or speed, but looking at what rims and tyres are available. That will generally mean following the current fashion, because cycling is a fashion driven market, and once they’ve convinced everyone that 27.5" is the perfect size (much as 28", 27", 700c, 29" and 26" were all “perfect” at various times in history) they will make a wider range of rims and tyres for that size.

I remember when bike wheels in the UK were all 27" and then 700cs came out. We had all this agonising over which was the better size, but in fact they both did the same job more or less equally well. The market led us all into 700c just because the 27" tyres were no longer as readily available.

Give it a couple of years and they will be telling us that 27.75" is even better than 27.5". Or maybe 27.25" Who knows?

Don’t bother with the 26 but don’t expect much more speed with a 27.5. if you want any kind of “speed” it’s either. 29 or 36. Or better yet a bike.