26" Muni set up

Curse you Saskatchewanian - I am a cycle junkie but had previously not seen that web site, and now I must have a fatbike! Too many cycles on my “must buy” list already! :smiley:

So I take it a larger tired unicycle/bike rides better in sand? Does this include loose sand?

my 26er specs:
2008 kh street saddle
Chromo post
Nimbus qr seatclamp (ugly little thing, but it’s not too heavy, and it does the job)
Nimbus II frame (metallic green)
Nimbus isis hub
Usa brand spokes w/ green nipples
Nimbus rim (sent the first one back, not impressed w/ their quality standards)
150mm Nimbus Venture cranks
Tioga factory 2.3

This setup is pretty darn light for how strong it is!

I’m used to the ventures now, and they’re light, but the sharp bevel on the outside of the crank is really easy to get your heel caught up on in extremely rocky or slippery conditions. The other problem is that they have no offset like the moments do, so that square face on the crank is a real prob. I would definitely go back to dual hole moments (125,150s). I use the 125 hole offroad suprisingly often.
I may replace the frame with one of the newer ones that have brake mounts, and add a brake. It took me a while to get used to riding brakeless again, and I use the brake on my 29er a lot. I’d like to get a better, lighter quick release at some point, but this one does the job. I might upgrade to a wider rim, probably something in the 47-50mm range, drilled to save weight. I was planning on custom drilling the nimbus rim when I got it, but I wanted to really be able to beat it without worrying about it tacoing. I would also like to try the tioga factory dh 2.5 and the tioga white tiger 2.5. I’m guessing they’ll be pretty close in size to most of the so-called 3inch tires.

WHERE is this available? :thinking:

municycle.com in germany. Even it is not on their website, I have just bought one.

It’s on their site now. Also the new Qu-ax alu frames and the new KH and nimbus seats and some other stuff.

Too late to edit, but I forgot to add my specs.

my favorite ride:

KH26 frame
KH/Schlumpf geared hub
KH Dual Hole Moments 150/125
KH T-Bar with some other bar ends and BBB grips & extra foam
KH Fusion Freeride 09 seat with 07 cover (I prefer the leather top)
KH stiffener plate
KH unadjustable seat post (older model)
KH single bolt clamp
KH Spooner
Magura HS33
Nokian Gazzaloddi 26x3
Schwalbe 26x3 inner tube
TryAll 26"x47mm rim
custom rim tape (just some thick black sticky tape)
Odyssey Twisted PCs
14G spokes
Widek compass bell
Sigma BC1606L speedometer
total weight: about 8Kg

My other 26er:

carbon fiber 26" frame by Roger Davies
Nimbus Gel Seat (07?)
aluminum seat post
single bolt clamp
thin alu rim
Suzue hub square tapered
Qu-ax alu cranks 114mm
Odyssey Twisted PCs
Schwalbe Racing Ralph 26x2,35 wire
some inner tube
14G spokes
5 alu bolts
total weight: 4,25Kg

I’m getting some Torker 152mm alu cranks for this one

These are two very different 26ers.

I bought all parts from Roland (municycle.com). So i guess every UDC should have it.

At first Roland only had the first generation 26" frame and the rim, i ordered a wheelbuild with a old 07 hub (cause of the price).
My first tire was the Maxxis Advantage 2.25. I rode a 24 hour XC race with it and already loved it.
Then after Kris released the second generation (suitable for 3.0 tires) i sold my “old” frame and got the new one and a new tire.

Right after did the first testride with the 3.0 tire i sold my 24" KH :smiley: Cause IMO the 26 is way better and feels nicer for DH. Landing after drops feels “softer” it rolls over more curbs and stuff like that.

So why isn’t there a KH 26 available anywhere? At least I can’t find it. Do you know if Kris is planning to add a 26" MUni to his line up anytime soon?

At UDC NZ there is http://www.unicycle.co.nz/shop/unicycle/mountain/KH26-ISIS

http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh26

Interesting. I wonder why it’s not available on udc US. Anyway, I don’t think I’d go for it in the current configuration; the frame is designed to only take a max tire width of 2.5", and is said to be best for DH and rolling MUni, but not for hardcore use like big drops. If KH came out with a 26er that would take a 65mm large marge and 3" wide tire, I’d snap one up!

The current KH26 frame fits a 3" tire, as for the Large Marge I think you’ll have to fit it with brake adapters like the ones you have on your KH24.
From the 2010 lineup thread:
“KH26 (assembled) is now available: Specs are the same as the KH29 (including Stout tire & wide rim), but with 150 mm single hole cranks. All KH26 frames delivered after September 2009 fit a 26x3” tire. The KH26, in my opinion, is also one of the most versatile setups for a geared muni.” -danger_uni (aka: Kris Holm).

Its available on UDC US now. And it will fit your three inch tire. :smiley: Not sure about the rim though.

Someone has posted a picture.

If that’s a Duro 26 x 3, then either that is the early “narrow” version of the KH 26 frame or Houston, we have too much contact!

I would think that the revised (wider/taller) KH 26 frame would allow as much space as a KH 24.

It’s the Gazza 26x3 as far as I know. Mine looks similar in the new KH26 frame… But it’s not too bad actually. At least I haven’t had any real issues clearance wise. Of course the tire picks up stones and other things and bashes them against the frame once in a while. But then the frame usually causes it fall off early rather than getting stuck with the tire.
I must say that I don’t quite understand why the clearance is that small, though. Maybe it was a miscalculation. So for a next generation I would definitely suggest to increase the clearance some more.

Not to be a downer, but the Gazz 3" really shouldn’t be a measure for frame clearance since they are no longer made and the widest tire now available is the Duro 3" (unless you want 4").

So, using the Duro 3" as the standard, I think a 1/2" clearance on all sides is a minimum, otherwise you get rock hits and mud friction.

Sorry Gazz fans, but your days are numbered. Start looking around…

Well, as far as I know they made another batch of 3" tires. Hopefully not their last one.

there is no problem with gazza or frame clearance;)
our day´s rise:D

My 26er is back from the dead after just acquiring a brand new Nimbus 26" MUni frame:
Ancient KH Fusion Saddle (circa 2005)
Standard seatpost
26" Nimbus MUni frame (powder coated orange)-NEW
Alex32 Rim
26x3 Gazz (moderately worn)
KH ISIS Hub (2007)
Nimbus ISIS Cranks (150mm)
DX Metal Pinned Pedals

I had all of these parts just lying around and decided I wanted to put a 26er back together. My first MUni was a cobbled together 26er, basically the same set up but with a UDC square taper hub/cranks and an old 26" Yuni frame. Well, after destroying several cranks and finally the hub, I rebuilt the wheel with a KH ISIS hub. Unfortunately, it no longer would work with the Yuni frame (40mm bearings only). So there it stood collecting dust for a long while. There weren’t very many 26" frames about at the time (at least I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on a frame) until recently UDC came out with their line of 26" Nimbus frames. So I conned my way into getting a Burnt Orange 26" Nimbus Frame (heavy!). So it’s a real FrankenUNI right now, but it’s fun to go play in the mud with this big wheel! Overall I still prefer my Schlumpfed KH24 but I know I’m going to have to migrate to a 26er some day so now I can at least get used it… :slight_smile: