24x3 Felt Berm Master Tire

Shoot. I’m looking for a tire for my 26" when it becomes a guni. I like this one but I think the 26" choice is too narrow. Any suggestions for a good all around tire? Mostly road with some not too technical trails??? I’ve been searching, but there is a lot out there.

I finished a nice rid on the Picture Rock Trail in Lyons, CO today. After a year of switching between my Berm Master and Intense DH I think I’m going to change my perspective a bit.

The Berm Master may be the perfect MUni tire for the average MUni rider. It is much more forgiving than the Intense. I feel like I can control it much better, and on sloping traverses it tracks straight without a lot of compensation from me. The Intense needs a lot more body english to track straight.

I know the 26" version is 2.125, but I saw one on a wide rim and it looked like a 2.5. Next time I go to the bike shop I’ll see if they can put a caliper on it. I’m tempted to build up a 26" wheel on one of those Felt rim’s to see how it handles. The only downside I can see is that the rim is a single wall, but I’m not very abusive so I think it will be alright.

Since I got a 20" for hopping/tricks and a 29" for mixed rides my 24" MUni has been seeing less and less pavement so I’ve been thinking about putting the Duro back on but never seem to get around to it.

The 26" version could be a great tire for a 26" GUni on a wide rim if the sidewalls are anything like the 24" version. The one tire that has me wanting to build up a 26" wheel is the Continental Rubber Queen 2.4 though I have no idea how it handles on pavement.

I know this is an older thread, but after a recent suggestion that I give the Felt Berm Master (24x3) a try as it might be a good fit for the type of riding I do: healthy balance of pavement, gravel roads, XC and hardcore MUni.

I must say after my first ride with this tire I am very impressed. I’ve been using a 24x3 Maxxis Hookworm for well over a year continuously, riding EVERYWHERE and have gotten used to all it’s quirks. However, I knew I needed a bit more bounce and rollover ability on the rough stuff BUT didn’t want to sacrifice the smooth roll I got with the Hookworm on the roads. Well, so far the Felt Berm Master is definitely hitting the mark quite well for me. I need to do some more riding but just visiting the same trail system I did earlier this week on the Hookworm and now with the Berm Master it was Night and Day. The trail riding was so much easier with the Berm Master and on the easier gravel roads I felt just as fast in high gear (KH-Schlumpf Hub) as I do with the Hookworm; maybe even smoother since the tire is a bit bigger, fatter and so seems to absorb the little road irregularities better?

Anyhow, this is a wonderful true XC tire for those who ride 24" unicycles. Probably not the best pure MUni tire (not by a long mark) but good for all surfaces!

I’ve been running one on my N24 for about a year and love it. I only have one uni, so it has to do double duty as my sole setup for mild street/trials and technical muni. The versatility of this tire fits that range. I run it at 18 psi on the trail and 25-30 on the street. My only complaint is that it rolls off the rim too easily on aggressive side hops at low pressure (hence the higher psi on the street), but I bet a wider rim would fix that. Bottom line, it’s a high volume, very versatile tire that sacrifices a bit of traction in exchange for lower weight and rolling resistance.

26" equivalent?

Ok, so I love my 24x3 Felt Berm Master Tire but shortly I’m going to be upgrading my 5 year old MUni (finally!) to a 26" variety. I was wondering if anybody had and suggestions on what tire “might” be like the Berm Master but in a 26" variety?

Based on looks alone it seems that the Maxxis Holy Roller might be similar though not as wide (2.4") which would be fine as I’d gotten used to riding a 24x2.5 Maxxis Hookworm before I started using the Berm Master.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks!

Seems interesting but sadly I didn’t found any retailer in Europe…
I think that this “old” design is not a problem for unicycle a we ride slower than MTB.

@MuniSano recently tried Kenda K-RAD 26*2.5(found cheap :slight_smile: ) for x-country (dry condition, will test in mud in a few weeks !). I was amazed how it hold in descent and how easier was the climb.

other close desing :
Maxxis holly roller 26*2.4
Schwalbe Table Top 26 x 2.25

Felt Berm Master Equivalents

Hi MuniSano,

I’ve switched back & forth between Berm Master & Duro Wildlife for some time, putting the Berm Master on for “around town/campus” winter riding when the local trails are unridable due to deep snow & ice. I like the Berm Master’s performance generally, although I find it to be a bit overly rounded. Still, it rolls well and provides plenty of shock absorption, and does just fine on dry trails.

Although I don’t have a 26er in my stable, I’m thinking of adding one to the collection, and have had similar questions about tires. If you are doing 75% or more trails I’d run the Maxxis Ardent or Schwalbe Hans Dampf in a folding bead. You will be amazed at weight difference between theses tires and the Duro Wildlife wire bead, particularly in the 26" size, and they have less rolling resistance because the knobbies aren’t as large & flexy as the Duro. I ride the Ardent 29x2.4 Exo on my KH29 and am very happy with it. It’s much better behaved than the WTB Dissent, which I also have in a 29x2.5, and occasionally ride. The latter bombs through stuff, but is sometimes not a responsive causing me to ride off the edges of tight corners.

If you do more like 50/50 road/trail, I think the Maxxis Holy Roller makes a lot of sense, and the 2.4" diameter will provide with plenty enough cushion, unless you are doing trials & street stuff – although I don’t have any personal experience riding it in any size. I have, how ever, looked over the 24" version on the rack at REI, and it seemed like it didn’t have anywhere near enough volume to deliver the shock absorption & bounce I wanted, and I have yet to find a 24" High Roller to compare.

Of course, by the time you do get that 26er, there will likely be about a hundred more tires to chose from. (Sure wish someone would make some more 24’s.)

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

Felt Cruisers

Philippe,

The Berm Master is made by Felt for their “cruiser bikes.” If you can find a shop that sells Felt bikes, they can probably order it for you. That’s how I got mine here in Salt Lake City. It was amazingly inexpensive too: about $25 USD.

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

Thanks all. I just ordered my KH26" frame and rim (and some other things) so I’ll soon be joining the 26er GUni club. I’ve got some time to figure out what tire to get as I plan on getting the frame and rim custom painted before I do the full build. So excited! I’m leaning toward the Holy Roller for now but the Ardent looks pretty good too. I’m about a 50/50 pavement/trail rider right now so the Felt Berm Master was a good choice for me for the 24", just wish they made it in a 26" variety.

FELT GmbH

Philippe,

I don’t know if you are still looking for a Berm Master, but I found the address for FELT GmbH:

FELT GmbH
INDUSTRIESTRASSE 39
D - 26188 EDEWECHT
GERMANY

U.S. Address:

FELT BICYCLES
12 CHRYSLER
IRVINE, CA 92618

Also, the stock number for the U.S. Berm Master on the “tire wrap/packaging” is 719471.

It’s really a good tire for the price: very good for city riding, and pretty good for 24" street & trials.

I took my N24 equipped with the Berm Master for Josh from UDC-US try out at Outerbike and he thought it was good enough for UDC-US to investigate further. Let’s hope it’s still in production.

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

Berm Master

Hi,

I have had this tire for about 2 months. It has gone the distance.
This thing this tire is best at is cornering and hard surfaces.
I push my tire really hard, and even so, I have only bottomed it out
twice. (Try-all 24" rim.)

Yesterday I went Muni-ing and
The Berm Master Mastered most of the terrain I threw it at.
It only threw me at the terrain once,(uphill sand.)
But mostly I was throwing terrain at it.

I installed one of these on my KH24 last night and have yet had a chance to try it out. Am looking for a higher volume/wider tire as a replacement for the holy roller I’ve been running for about a year. My Muni riding mainly consists of hard pack single trails with soft sandy spots in the lower areas. As I usually need to ride paved trails about a mile or two to get back into the woods I need a dual purpose tire, the holy roller is great but being 2.4" wide made it too squirrelly in the soft stuff.

I just did my first two rides on my new Berm Master. I bought it to replace the nearly worn out stock Duro 24 x 3.0 on my Oracle. The first ride was just skill practice in a park. Right away I discovered that I needed to increase the air pressure from the 12.5 that I normally run, to 15.5 for the new tire. Maybe the sidewalls aren’t as stiff? Doesn’t matter. It performed flawlessly after that.

This morning I took it to the trail that I ride the most to see how it handled my typical MUni ride. No problem! It was no different than the Duro that I was so used to. Didn’t even take any time to get a feel for it. It felt great right from the start. The trails here are very hard packed, dry single track with some sandy spots. So I can’t say how it works in mud or other trail conditions. I can’t really say how any tire works in mud. But where I ride the Berm Master works just fine.

And because it costs less than half the price of the Duro, it’s my new favorite tire.