24 vs 26

Hello everybody,
I know this has been asked alot but wich is better a 24" muni or a 26" muni. I can’t decide. I want to do alot of technical stuff but i don’t want something that is to slow because I also plan on doing a little cross country riding. Whenever i look i think the 24 is too small but it seems everyone is using it and say that it is better than a 26

Yeah, there are several similar threads.

I ride a 26" muni, mostly around town because there aren’t hills nearby. It’s a nice all-around size, but I about died trying to go up serious hills on a trail. That could be because I’m weak (living where there are no hills and all).

Still, for longer rides I think 29" or 36" might be a little nicer.

I had a 24x3 and now ride a 26 with a Trail King 2.4 (actual size around 2.5-2.6"). The 26" wheel is 2" bigger. Here’s a comparison picture and a few more thoughts on the two unicycles: [post]2038242[/post]

FWIW, I’ve tried doing XC on my 24" uni (not muni) that I have now and hate it. Well, I don’t hate it, everything on a unicycle is fun, but I definitely wanted a bigger wheel. 29’s in the mail…

Yeah the 26 will require a bit more fitness uphill and a bit more difficult to keep speeds managable down-hill w/o a break because of it’s effective taller gearing.

Also it has more inertia, making it harder to change speeds, which makes climbing harder untill you get to a moderate pace (above that, it’s minutely easier for me). The good thing is the extra inertia gets you over bumps easier, but that doesn’t overpower the decreased stability from the higher center of gravity IMO (I’ve only ridden each w/ the same crank size. The larger wheel w/ longer cranks will give some of that stability and climbing ease back).

I am not doing that much cross country I just meant a little bit but mostly technical stuff

I agree with the others who said that a 29" wheel (or larger) would be more suited for cross-country. Can you buy two unicycles? Maybe get a cheap unicycle for the rides you only do occasionally, and spend more money on the unicycle you think you’ll use more often. I have a 24x3 and a 29 and they both work great for their own purposes.

I’m not sure the difference between the 24 and 26 is so great that you’d be regretting the purchase of one over the other.

That’s a question I too wrestled with when I bought my first muni. It really depends on the type of trails you’ll be riding. I live in Los Angeles area, so we have lots of great trails, most of which require a considerable amount of climbing.

My friends all ride 24", but I chose 26" with 150mm cranks. I really struggled on the long and sometimes steep climbs, and would enviously watch the 24" riders clear climbs that took me longer to conquer. Of course, on the downhills I was flying.

So I bought the Kris Holm double hole cranks with the 135/165mm combo and presto! http://www.unicycle.com/unicycle-hardware/kris-holm-double-hole-isis-moment-cranks.html/ . When I am on the mountain I run with the 136 setting, and on the street 165. I now clear most the climbs as the 24" but with a bit more effort, and can keep up well on the street when the boys pull out their 29ers.

If you live in a hilly area - not mountains - I would definitely recommend 26". If you live in a mountain area, it comes down to what you think you will appreciate the most. Course, another option would be the double cranks with a 24"…decisions decisions. Good luck!

Flip a coin. Seriously. My MUni has a 24 x 3" tire, which is almost 26" in diameter. It’s great. Not so great for long, flat sections, but neither is a 26" since it’s only a little bigger. I recommend buying your MUni with your roughest available terrain in mind.

Kris Holm rides a 26" with a Schlumpf hub. If I had an unlimited budget, that’s what I would be riding now too. :slight_smile:

I had a 24x3 and use a 26x2.5 now for the exact same terrain which is quite technical. Not much difference in speed. The 26" is lighter because of the smaller tire but it’s not as good at absorbing bumps so you need better technique. The 26" setup also gives a little bit more pedal clearance which is nice. But what is most important is that there are a lot more tires and spare parts available which you can get in every bike shop (ever tried to get spokes for a 24" wheel in your LBS? :stuck_out_tongue: )