24 or 26

That ROCKS! Congrats Joe on the baby! What are ya having? Muni, commuter, street/trials?
Any ideas on the name yet?
:p:D

I favorite is my 29er it is the perfect ride on single track trails but you might consider brakes if you have any somewhat steep downhills in your riding area since the 29 wheel is harder to slow or stop on downhills

Yeah - I ordered the KH 29" with brakes. Can’t wait.

HAHA, I knew why I included this sentence in my previous post :smiley:

For now I switched back to the 24x3 uni for downhill riding. I did this mostly because I want to include lots of hops in my riding and my 26x3 GUni is too heavy for this type of riding. But the heavy 26" uni helped a lot in developing my 24" skills (with about 2.5kg less weight it feels like a feather).

slight thread jack here, but i too am in need of a muni. i’ve been riding trails on my 20" ever since ever and i’m really in the need for something just a little faster. here’s my dilema; most of the trails i ride also have trials obstacles thrown in, such as fallen logs and gaps between big rocks and things. i really enjoy taking a break from the muni to ride the trials stuff as well. my question, what is going to be my best setup as far as wheel size and crank length to make technical and downhill muni as well as trials possible? do you think a 24" with 137 cranks would be ok or is there a better setup that i’ve overlooked?

26 better.

I sold my 24 and bought 26er

I would take 150mm cranks considering that 137 cranks are the preferred length for trials on 19" wheels. For technical downhill I assume you will also want a bit more control.

I don’t think so when using it for trials (except if you use a smaller tire than 3" (like 2.5) or some light TI parts… I have tried a 2.5 tire on my 26" uni too because it’s not as heavy but I miss the suspension of the bigger tire)

Like Woods said. 150s would be a great length on a 24 for what you have in mind. Check out the chart I made for the thread on total gear ratio. strait numbers are not the be all and end all but they give you an idea of what you should expect from various setups.

Not for this application. 26x3 unicycles are heavy. The heaviest setup you can get without going with a 36. This gives you some advantages but not when it comes to hopping.

Don’t get me wrong, I love my 26 and it would be my only unicycle if I had to choose one for everything but horses for courses…