24" muni vs. 26" muni?

Yeah, I sold my 29er. I am not sad about that. I found it too big, esp for going up hills.

I may just get a 26 and keep the 24 around awhile and compare. I could also just swap out my 137s to 150s and see how that feels again. It will make it even slower, but it will be easier to static hop over things.

Sounds like a good plan, you will like the 26 for sure. I just got back from riding my 29 (this thread guilted me into a short muni ride), while I have an attachment to it since I’ve had it so long, I don’t love it in the dirt. Have been eyeing an oracle 26 for a long time, also thought about building a 26 wheel and using it on my 29er frame, but then I need to switch to disc brakes.

Interesting conversation.
It feels like several of us have the same questions, and the final answer looks more like “Well maybe I should get an extra (m)uni since there’s no such thing as a universal uni”.
I spent a lot of time debating with myself about getting a 26 and what it would do to my current 24.

Here is the list I drew then.
Pros:

• a 26 muni with a thin-ish tire is much lighter than a 24"
  • choice of tires is amazing

Cons:

• a 24 with a 3" tire is fun and bouncy.
  • they’re too close (I read a lot about the 26 being faster, but is it not psychological since one revolution only travels a couple of inches more than a fat 24, which indeed measures 25")
  • it might be “just an extra uni”, when you hit 5 or 6, it begins to be a lot of unis.

I ended up getting a KH29" (bargain second hand I couldn’t miss) which I like a lot. Can do a lot on 150mm cranks but not as confident on 125mm (only one week on them).
Occasionally the 26" idea comes back to my mind in the form of “oh well, it could reside at my parents in the Alps for when I visit…”