22.2mm seatposts...Primo Rod? Kore B'atch?

Has anyone bent or broken a Primo Rod seat post?

Is it worth 2x the price to take the Kore?

edit: the Kores are out of stock…perhaps a moot point…but the question remains…any Primo benders out there?

I’ve put a couple on unis now with no bad reports. A good solid trials rider here likes it a lot. It is quite heavy, though. The Thomson Elite is much lighter and just as strong, but quite a bit more expensive.

Primo it is!

I’ll just replace the profiles, gazz, and dh tube with a freestyle wheel and tire for some weightsavings

Yeah! Another trick is to use only half the spokes. There’s a trick to it; use only the spokes on your dominant side. If you keep just the spokes on your non-dominant side, you won’t be able to track a straight line. This also has the disadvantage (or advantage) of limiting the number of people that can borrow your uni.

The steel BMX seatposts are heavy. They’re built like a tank. You can save a little bit of weight by getting a seatpost with alloy seatpost guts instead of steel guts.

There are a bunch of BMX seatposts similar to the Primo Rod. Some of them are exactly the same, just with a different brand painted on. Some of them will use different guts, but mostly they’re all pretty much the same.

I don’t know of any strong 22.2 mm alloy seatposts. There are 25.4 mm alloy seatposts available, but no 22.2 mm. The smallest Thomson seatpost is 25.0 mm. It looks like the only choices for a 22.2 mm seatpost is a heavy steel BMX style.

The Steel BMX posts are very heavy.

Now these very heavy compared to a similar sized alloy one

But are they still ‘very’ heavy compared to an already steel 22.2 post?

Thanks for pointing that out, John. I’m thinking mostly in the H36/GB36 world; they don’t use 22.2mm seatposts.

Sofa they are heavier than the Miyata ones, but that’s a good thing, I guess. You can save weight by using a fixed-angle GB4 seatpost, where the tubing is just as heavy but there is no heavy pivoting head. However, that is mitigated somewhat because 1) the Kinport adapter is light compared to the GB4 plate, and 2) the GB4 will have to be longer to take up the space that the rails took. So I don’t really know if there would be any weight savings or not.

The steel BMX posts like the Primo Rod have a thick wall thickness. Thicker than standard unicycle seatposts like the United and Miyata.

The Primo Rod has a wall thickness of about 2.3 mm
A standard generic unicycle seatpost has a wall thickness of about 1.5 mm
A Miyata post has a wall thickness of about 1.5 mm

I don’t have a GB4 seatpost sitting around loose to measure and I’m not going to take my freestyle uni apart to measure it.

The Primo BMX seatposts are heavy because they use more metal. But they’re also strong. You’re not going to bend one. And since they use chromoly steel and a thick wall they don’t compress when you clamp them so the seatpost will clamp tighter preventing slipping seatpost problems.

The Primo uses chromoly steel. I have no idea what type of steel the Miyata or generic post use. It ain’t chromoly.

In addition to the extra weight of the Primo post you also have to consider the weight of the rail adapter. The Primo plus rail adapter makes for a heavy combo compared to something like a Miyata seatpost bolted straight to the seat.

Hey Dave, I’m not looking to save weight at all, I was just curious as they were mentioned to be very heavy

I have a couple of each here in the workshop but to standardize with respect to length would be a challenge which (tax season) I don’t have time for right now. John’s answer shows why he’s won the “most useful posts” award every year since Gore invented the Internet.