2009 KH lineup - details and info

Onza Tensile cranks are great ! very light (410g - 140mm / KH Moment 612g - 137mm), little bit higher Q-factor than Moment, very beautiful but only existing in 140mm; I’m just using them on my 24" instead of dual 137/165 KH and I love them. With a pair of Wellgo MG1 pedals I saved a lot of grams !

Yeah, that would be a nice choice, but that’s too short for where I muni. I run 150’s on the 24" and 160’s on the 26". If the Onza design works for a 140, maybe it’d work for a 165?

The reason I like the idea of drilling holes in an existing crank is that it gives you the option of having a lighter crank with an existing model, and depending on length you can either increase of decrease the material removed.

All that’s holding me back is finding someone who’ll do the work.

I’m probably ordering some 165 Moments today unless I can find some used ones, then the machining begins :slight_smile:

It’s not available for the longer cranks, but for road and street/flat riders it’s worth noting that the 110 mm and 110/127 mm Moment cranks have a wider/deeper cutaway in the back to reduce weight while keeping the stronger wide part of the I-beam.

Weights:
110: 442 g
110/127: 458 g
125: 552 g

Kris

KH24 weight = 7.05kg from http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh24
KH26 weight = 6.15kg from http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh26
KH29 weight = 6.20kg from http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh26
KH36 weight = 7.34kg from http://www.krisholm.com/khu/kh36

Can anybody tell me why the KH24 is so much heavier than both the KH26 and KH29? Is it all in that 24x3 Duro tire???

Also what are 24x3 fans out there using these days? I’ve been a big fan of the 24x3 Nokian Gazz but now that its gone what are folks migrating to? Or is everybody making the jump to the 26" for all things MUni?

The tire, tube, and rim are all really heavy.

The Duro.

That pretty dang near settles me getting a 26" right there. I’m still thinking of getting the 29" though.

no KH 29ers until November at udc(us)

I was trying to decide what to get as my second uni, then sent an email question to “info@” on the KH website. An almost immediate, very helpful, and personal response from Kris himself settled me on a KH29.

So I finally get the funds together, along with my wife getting to the point where she’d rather have me spend the money than hear any more about why I need a KH uni. Then I find that udc (us) is out of stock! :astonished:

Email to udc, and the response is that they don’t expect to get anymore 2009 KH29’s in until November. :frowning:

My impression is that there are emough improvements that I should probably wait for more 2009’s to come in, rather than buy a 2008. I’m hoping to get to the point where I can do my 2.7 mile commute on it, but in all honesty that’s probably not happening before winter this year anyhow.

Or, does anyone know somewhere else to get a 2009 KH29?

Try the Canadian udc. They might have one.

Email bedford:
http://www.bedfordunicycles.ca/

corbin

There’s jtrops’ review of the Felt Berm Master 24x3 in the Reviews section, too.

I ride a Duro but have never owned a 24’’ Gazz but I’d like to try it. Tony.M really likes Gazz’s he’s still using one.

Thanks for the leads.

update: availability of 2009 KH29

Canada UDC is out of stock.

Darren Bedford reports he has ample stock of various 2009 KH.

My new 2009 KH29 is on the way! :smiley:

update: availability of 2009 KH29

Canada UDC is out of stock.

Darren Bedford reports he has ample stock of various 2009 KH.

My new 2009 KH29 is on the way! :smiley:

Bedford rocks.

+1

KH on freeride vs XC 29 rim

As I await my KH29, I re-read this email exchange with Kris Holm, and thought it might be useful for others (at least other newbs like me. :o )
Note that Kris personally responded to my email, which was sent to the info@ address on his web page, in less than 2 hours.

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:12 PM, James wrote:

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.krisholm.com/khu/ from: James

Hi:
I’m new to unicycling, and loving it. I would really like to try commuting (2.5 miles), and am also interested in MUNI. For my second uni, I’m considering a KH 29 as an all-round uni. I’m 6’4" with a 35" inseam, so I think I’ll be able to handle a larger uni reasonably well.
My question is which rim would be best for me - the standard 29 rim, or the freeride rim. Is there any downside to using the freeride rim for road riding? I’m thinking the extra width and stability will be helpful to me, especially as a green rider, and will also make getting into MUNI more plausible.
If the freeride is the way I decide to go, can you also give me tips on how to get one? UDC doesn’t seem to offer the KH 29 with the freeride rim as an option. Would I have to get a custom built wheel to have the freeride rim? No local options for me, here in Missoula, Montana.
Any info appreciated.
-James

Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 5:59 PM
To: James
Subject: Re: Kris Holm Unicycles: KH 29 rim choice?

James,

Thanks for the note, and it’s great to hear you’ve gotten into riding a uni!. The KH29 is very versatile in that it works well for XC muni and is faster and smoother feeling than the smaller wheel unis. The higher axle position also means you’re less likely to hit your pedals on rocks.

The 47 mm wide KH29 rim provides a very stable profile and a higher volume feeling to the tire, which is awesome offroad for more technical riding. However, the increased width creates a flatter tire profile that feels stickier for turning on pavement (grabs a bit on pavement when you corner), and that is more susceptible to road crown (e.g. you tend to feel like you are twisting when you ride along the side of a road with a lot of crown to it). The 38 mm rim is still wide by mountain bike standards (until the wide KH rim was available it was the widest and strongest 29’er rim on the market). The narrower width is a better profile for roads, for the reasons noted above, and is also more compatible with smaller volume road tires (e.g. in the 1.9-21 range). So if you plan to commute with it, I would suggest you get the regular 38 mm rim that comes with the stock uni. If you do choose the wider rim, you would need to get a custom build because it’s not a standard item shipped with the 2009 KH29.

Hope that helps!

Kris

+2

I think the Intense 24 X 3.0 tire is a good MUni tire. You can do a search for it and read reviews of it but it’s similar to the Gazz and Duro, kinda like a mix of the two. I think uniproshop still has a few left…check out my link below.

Glad I found this thread.
I was wondering why I couldn’t find a wrench to tighten my pedals.
17mm! I’ve got a lot of wrenches, but not that one.