2003 TOque Games Results

Well … I would have to say the first TOque Games held in Toronto was a success. Over 30 competitors participated in the various events held (we were only expecting 20 - 25), we got through all the events (except the pop can crush contest, unfortunately) and I think everyone had a blast.

Some highlights from the weekend …

• The dirt track was totally ridable and one could actually get air off the bumps

• The Kris Holm trials workshop

• Putting faces to some of the names on the newsgroup

• The trials competition setup. We had a bunch of really cool sections

• The crowds of people who came to watch and some even tried to ride a unicycle

I’ve posted the results for all the events we held …
http://www.mountainunicycling.com/TOque2003/results.html
(I also plan on posting descriptions of each of the trials sections including U rating and point value for reference)

I’ve also posted a few of my pictures …

I’d like to thank eveyone who came out and participated … as well as the following people for helping out with organization …
Jeff Groves (who worked hard to get great prizes for everyone)
Maggie and Pete Groves (for providing dinner for everyone on Friday night)
Chaim Ribiat (who built lots of stuff and helped setup and teardown)
Kris Holm (for putting on the trials workshop)
Darren Bedford (who donated a bunch of prizes including a unicycle)
Mark Jordan (who announced our demos and helped teach people to ride)
And everyone else I forgot to mention!

I still have a few extra TOque t-shirts left. As it stands at the time of this post I have the following sizes …

• 3 Youth Medium
  • 3 Adult Large
  • 1 Adult X-Large
    If you’re interested let me know (carl -A-T- mountainunicycling.com). They’re CDN$20 plus shipping. I might be open to negotiation. :slight_smile:

Hope to see you next year!
Carl

Carl,

You did a great Job orginizing this event. Everything ran smoothly and on time basically. The amout of preperation that was needed to get everything together for a trials competition of that scale is tremendious. Thank you for all your hard work. Also thanks for the place to stay.

Hope to be there agian next year!

Mike

Thank you very much for organising this awesome event, I had so much fun I almost died. well not quiet died but it was really fun. Soon I will have my pictures developed and there will be a webpage filled with bad spelling and bad grammer and Dan.
weee,
Dan

Carl,

You did a great Job orginizing this event. Everything ran smoothly and on time basically. The amout of preperation that was needed to get everything together for a trials competition of that scale is tremendious. Thank you for all your hard work. Also thanks for the place to stay.

Hope to be there agian next year!

Mike

Thanks again Carl, it was a great comp!

-Ryan

thanks carl, that was my first competition and i couldn’t of asked for it to be any better. it was awesome.

logan

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

If there’s enough demand, next year I think it would be very cool to add a new event …

There’s a huge world class flatland bmx competition that happens at the Toronto Bike Show. It would be really amazing if we could run an OpenX type competition. I’m actually kinda surprised that there aren’t more flatland-type unicyclers out there.

With the addtion of that event unicyclers would totally saturate every competitive venue at the bike show with the exception of the bmx street course. That would be a perfect way to promote unicycling and get people to see it as a true sport. It would also help open the eyes of the bikers competing in the various competitions and maybe even get a few of them interested.

See you next year!

Carl

That sounds cool… but why not have a comp on the BMX street course. It would be judged, and you’d go down on one side, do a grind or something, a trick maybe, and ride off. I thik that would be cool.

-Ryan

I think the BMX street course is a little out of our league. Those ramps are very steep and I think it would be extremely tough to convince the organizers to shut down the entire course to bikers so that a few unicyclists can grind a few rails. We certainly wouldn’t be able to use 80% of the course just due to the fact that it’s setup for bikers and too big for unicycles.

That being said I’d like to put together a street competition, in addition to a trials comp, to take place at the Round House Rumble (which I don’t think the comp will be called anymore) on June 14.

Stay tuned for details on that.

Carl