2003 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend: dates?

It’s MUni Weekend VIII! The world’s first and oldest MUni Weekend is being planned for the Auburn/Sierra foothills area for this fall.

I’m looking for date recommendations. Traditionally we hold it somewhere between mid-Sept. and mid-Oct. What weekends are good or bad for you?

We’re basing the ‘03 MUni Weekend around the Downieville Downhill. This is a long ride with fun technical sections and about 4000’ of downhill, though somewhat more than 1000’ of uphill along the way. It’s one of the famous rides up here, like Mr. Toad’s and the Flume Trail. It involves lots of driving to get there, and we’ll try to set up shuttles to pick people up partway through, so they don’t have to ride the whole thing.

Because Downieville is such a big drive/ride, we’re saving it for Sunday. If we did it earlier, people might be too wrecked to ride the next day!

For Saturday, we’ll be back at the good old American River confluence in Auburn. We’ll probably have a similar schedule to what we’ve had in the past, with a choice of trails, and at least the running of the Confluence Uphill Race.

Friday’s ride is unknown. I’d like to take people to the South Yuba Trail, but that’s another big drive, and may be too much for one weekend. Or we might do an expert-only ride of the Steven’s Trail in Colfax, or maybe even some “natural” trials on the rocks around Folsom Lake in Granite Bay.

What I’d really love to have would be a Trials course. But I doubt I will build one myself, so this will only happen if someone wants to come out and make (or bring) one. Anyone interested?

Read about the above trails and areas here:

Read about previous MUni Weekends here:

Re: 2003 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend: dates?

In article <johnfoss.jewfd@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
johnfoss <johnfoss.jewfd@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)It’s MUni Weekend VIII! The world’s first and oldest MUni Weekend is
)being planned for the Auburn/Sierra foothills area for this fall.
)
)I’m looking for date recommendations. Traditionally we hold it somewhere
)between mid-Sept. and mid-Oct. What weekends are good or bad for you?

My fall weekends are largely dictated by Cal football.
Thus, I would put in votes for September 13th, October 11th, or October
18th, with October 11th being my preferred choice (no game at all; the
other two are away games).
-Tom

tom, what’s your connection to cal football? alum? player? fan? i myself am a student. i didn’t know there were any serious unicyclists at berkeley, though. can you believe we don’t have an exclusively unicycle club? at berkeley, of all places…

(that wasn’t off topic was it?)

what level of difficulty will most of the terrain be? and if i started learning now… would i be able to do it then?

In article <nosabe332.jfcea@timelimit.unicyclist.com>,
nosabe332 <nosabe332.jfcea@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote:
)
)tom, what’s your connection to cal football? alum? player? fan? i
)myself am a student. i didn’t know there were any serious unicyclists
)at berkeley, though. can you believe we don’t have an exclusively
)unicycle club? at berkeley, of all places…

Fan and season-ticket holder, as well as campus staff member.
Go Bears!

We have an active unicycling group at Berkeley; it is an offshoot of
the juggling club, but we hold our own unicycle basketball games
weekly, and occasionally do MUni rides. Uni basketball is at 6:30 PM
on Wednesday at Strawberry Creek park (at the end of Allston just past
Sacramento)–though it might move once Daylight Saving Time ends.
If you want to join the mailing list, check out the web page at
<http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~juggle/uni.php>.

)what level of difficulty will most of the terrain be? and if i started
)learning now… would i be able to do it then?

I don’t know anything about the terrain, but I expect it will be
challenging. But the thing about MUni is, you can’t ride a whole lot
faster than you can walk, so if there’s a section that’s too difficult
for you, you can always walk it. We’ve done rides up in Tilden Park,
and first-timers have always been able to do the ride. A couple
weekends ago I did the whole ridge loop in Redwood Park, including
the nasty rocky downhill on West Ridge Trail, and I’ve only been on
4 or 5 significant MUni rides. I’m sure, if you can unicycle now and you
work on your MUni regularly, you’ll have mad skillz by the fall.
-Tom

No, but I bet you got a surprise!

I try to keep it difficult enough to keep people interested. But even at that, the most gnarly sections are a relatively small percentage of the rides, leaving plenty of easier stuff left over.

Riding in Auburn will have alternate choices, regular and novice. We did this at the first MUni Weekend and it remained popular; a ride or two that were shorter and easier.

For Downieville I would like to arrange it where people who don’t want to do the big long ride can come in from the bottom areas of the trail and ride down there. That part is less technical and riders can choose how far they want to go. The full Downieville Downhill is a combination of distance (17 miles?), technical sections, and lots of going downhill, which can really wear you out, especially if you don’t have brakes. But if you’re in shape for a 17-mile ride, you can probably handle the downhill part and walk the more technical sections. If you’re not used to a 17-mile ride, I will strongly recommend you to either train up for it, or not expect to do it. It’s longer than the Flume Trail, and again there are no roads, at least until you’re most of the way through.

The third day of riding is also unknown, but I will try to keep it fun for all levels. If you live in Berkeley, you can always come out some day and check out the Auburn trails. Quarry, Stagecoach, Manzanita, and the Clementine Loop (see the Trail Page).

Mt. Diablo Challenge is Oct. 5

Please don’t conflict with the MDC which is always the first Sunday in Oct. I have 4 years in a row and Gary 5 yrs. I don’t want to miss that race. Last year there were 9 unicyclists in a race with 2000 cyclists.

Would love to try that Downeyville Downhill I keep hearing about.

I would prefer the weekend of September 19 and 20. I start teaching September 8 and the previous week is setting up my classroom. I would prefer not to go that early. But, at least if you use the 19 and 20, it gives me 8 days with my new class before I would be leaving them to come up and ride.

But alas, I may not be able to make it this year anyway. It would be too close to the New Jersey Ride in October. Descisions, still left to ponder.

Vancouver, California, New Jersey, ohhh, so many MUni rides, so little time. Too bad, I am not 22 anymore and temping at odd jobs. :astonished:

What New Jersey ride? Pardon me if it’s something I should know about…

For Scot, no, we will definitely not conflict with the Mt. Diablo Challenge. We would lose too many riders. So the weekend of Oct. 4-5 is definitely OUT! Same for the following weekend, which is the Lodi Juggling Festival. This narrows it down to Sept. 19-21, 26-28, or Oct. 17-19 as the most likely weekends.

Two new ideas for the third day of riding:

1. Roseville cement slide park (don’t know the park’s name). It’s not like the super-Trials park in Santa Cruz, but it has some interesting terrain, a tiny little section of trails, and some open space. Also an interesting cement slide on the side of a hill. Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/6hhx

2. Rockville Hills park. It’s a bit of a hike in the opposite direction (Southwest on I-80), but at least it’s on fast, straight freeway. Rockville has everything from cake fireroads to gnarly downhills and rocks. It may be perfect to round out the weekend. Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/6hi7

What do you think?

I second that about the first Sunday in Oct. The other local event is the
Lodi Juggling Festival which will be Oct 10-13 this year. And it would be
nice to not collide with the Portland Juggling Festival too (Sept 26-28).

All you guys who are comfortable with all day hard muni rides will
absolutely LOVE the Downieville Downhill. We had SO much fun last time. What
a great day. But John is right, riding the next day would be questionable.

—Nathan

“scot” <scot.jiqe3@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:scot.jiqe3@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> Please don’t conflict with the MDC which is always the first Sunday in
> Oct. I have 4 years in a row and Gary 5 yrs. I don’t want to miss that
> race. Last year there were 9 unicyclists in a race with 2000
> cyclists.
>
> Would love to try that Downeyville Downhill I keep hearing about.

Rockville would be great for Sunday - it’s certainly a fun area with
something for just about everyone. As for dates I would vote for Oct 17-19.
That should be perfect.

—Nathan

“johnfoss” <johnfoss.jir3d@timelimit.unicyclist.com> wrote in message
news:johnfoss.jir3d@timelimit.unicyclist.com
>
> The Munieer wrote:
> > *It would be too close to the New Jersey Ride in October. *
> What New Jersey ride? Pardon me if it’s something I should know
> about…
>
> For Scot, no, we will definitely not conflict with the Mt. Diablo
> Challenge. We would lose too many riders. So the weekend of Oct. 4-5 is
> definitely OUT! Same for the following weekend, which is the Lodi
> Juggling Festival. This narrows it down to Sept. 19-21, 26-28, or Oct.
> 17-19 as the most likely weekends.
>
> Two new ideas for the third day of riding:
>
> 1. Roseville cement slide park (don’t know the park’s name). It’s not
> like the super-Trials park in Santa Cruz, but it has some interesting
> terrain, a tiny little section of trails, and some open space. Also an
> interesting cement slide on the side of a hill. Pictures:
> http://tinyurl.com/6hhx
>
> 2. Rockville Hills park. It’s a bit of a hike in the opposite direction
> (Southwest on I-80), but at least it’s on fast, straight freeway.
> Rockville has everything from cake fireroads to gnarly downhills and
> rocks. It may be perfect to round out the weekend. Pictures:
> http://tinyurl.com/6hi7
>
> What do you think?
>
>
> –
> johnfoss - Old school
>
> John Foss
> the Uni-Cyclone
> jfoss [at] unicycling [.] com
> www.unicycling.com
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
> johnfoss’s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
> View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/23694
>

Re: Re: 2003 California Mountain Unicycle Weekend: dates?

I like the late September and the October dates. October 17-19 is good for me. The muni riding season up here in the Seattle area can get a bit cold and mucky that time of year so heading down to California at that time would be a perfect way to extend the riding season.

The “third day” of the weekend was Friday, based on filling days. The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of Rockville Hills Park. It’s not close to anything else, except maybe a possible future MUni Weekend around Mt. Diabolo and the East Bay. It’s only a little farther between there and Auburn, so why not?

This will make my house a workable place for people to stay for the weekend, though first I’ll have to figure out how many and to whom it will be offered. Carl Hoyer’s got first dibs, but I have to make sure I’ve got full spousal approval first. Hopefully other local riders will offer space at their homes as well.

And the weekend of October 17-19 is sounding popular. So I’m going to change the request to “Anybody have conflicts with October 17-19?”

Friday:
Rockville Hills Park, near Fairfield. Trails for every ability level. Possible quasi-Trials competition or games. Bring your own lunch.

Saturday:
Auburn State Recreation Area. Where we held the main day of the first three MUni Weekends. Similar schedule and rides. Confluence Uphill Race. Lunch in a restaurant!

Sunday:
Downieville Downhill. A long drive in the morning, a long ride, shuttle driving and a shorter ride for people not wanting the long ride, then a long drive back. Lunch on the trail; bring your own.

More details to follow. I’ll have to put up a page on the Web site for 2003. People flying to the event will not be advised to fly home on Sunday night unless it’s pretty late. It’s over 100 miles from Downieville to the Sacramento Airport.

Possible additional ride of the Mr. Toads trail, in an informal group (more informal than the rest of the rides). No details on that yet.

17-19 sounds good, in that I might actually be able to come this year.

sounds good. :smiley: I wish I knew about the MUni weekend at lake tahoe, because I live right next to it.:frowning: