20 or 24...trials/muni

So i am looking for an upgrade, but i want something for both trials and muni, but just cant decide between 20 and 24. Is it possible to do trials with a 24, or is it better to suffer through muni with a 20? And i think kh. But maybe nimbus. It depends. Id go 20 nimbus or 24 kh, probably…so what do you think? Id probably only muni 4 or 5 times a year… trials is so easy, just do it in your backyard…muni i have to get someone to drive me to a trail. Thx.

For the price of a kh 24 you can get a nimbus 20 trials and a nimbus Muni 24

…and no… I don’t work for Nimbus :wink:

I will assume you have a basic 20

So now you have a uni you can idle and ride backwards on. I get to nervous riding backwards on larger wheels and I am sure most people do better learning backwards on a small wheel, it is surely safer.

So then I would get the 24 muni. Actually much easier to ride around on (soft soil, over sticks), than any other uni I have tried. A great choice for your second uni that will open your possibilities a lot. A 19 isn’t much of a fun step up from a 20. It’s just got a fatter tire and it’s tougher to break.

A 24 muni is very easy to ride for a newish rider, run the tire soft and it makes small sticks disappear and large ones smaller. Notably faster and smooth, it will be bang for buck grins.:slight_smile:

KH seems a bit over priced now. I don’t really like the Nimbus frames. Mild steel and the owners keep posting about sloppy welds. Deals keep changing. In 3 months the hot setup might be the ISIS Torker . They seem to be trying a bit harder than Nimbus lately. To new to say. KH’s might suddenly go on sale tomorrow for all I know.

Watching the forum and goggling will often produce amazing deals. Don’t assume a KH 19 will always cost 560 $

+1, also, despite SOME of the welds not being the prettiest, the frames are generally pretty strong and cheap to replace. I still really like the nimbus stuff, especially for the money.
Besides, the kh is an awesome product, but if you want to be picky, my tricked-out kh 29 doesn’t have as pretty welds as my $500 dollar mountain bike :slight_smile:

Even if the Nimbus frame is a bit lame

People rarely post about them breaking. They are cheap. Also, it is a simple swap out to get a KH frame later.

I kinda think I am a bit of a gear snob, and I agree that you have to be a better rider than me to really need the extra quality of a KH over a Nimbus. Lightness helps but it ain’t cheap and practice is much more important .

I’d also consider if you plan to do tricks, commute on it and if you want one uni that’ll do it all. If it’s one of the later two, get the 24, if not then the 19. (Most end up w/ multiple unis and a “do it all” is always a compromise).

True, but if you have the money for a KH I’d get one and add a second uni later (also you may decide a 24 is too similar to the trials and want a 26 or 29"). By the OP’s comments, I’d get a KH 20 now.

It’s important to remember that despite what people feel to be ironclad arguments for or against different wheels sizes, 20" unicycles can do MUni and 24" unicycles can do trials (longer cranks help).

Most important things is how the unicycle makes you feel during the ride and that is a personal preference. The best question to ask is, what do you currently ride and how do you feel about its size?

Other questions that can help but are not determinate:

How tall are you?
When you think about doing MUni do you think riding sections of technical trails or doing several miles at a time?
When you think about doing trials do you focus on hopping and gapping man-made objects or do you think of rolling and hopping through natural obstacles?

+1, also, despite SOME of the welds not being the prettiest, the frames are generally pretty strong and cheap to replace. I still really like the nimbus stuff, especially for the money.
Besides, the kh is an awesome product, but if you want to be picky, my tricked-out kh 29 doesn’t have as pretty welds as my $500 dollar mountain bike :slight_smile: