20+ miles on a 24''!?!?

My brother John and I rode to raise money for a charity about 23 years ago. We only had 20" Schwinns at the time, so the 25 miles we rode was pretty painful. I recall that it took us 6 hours (with many necessary breaks, esp at the end) and that we rode together the whole time. Happily the ride was around the Central Park bike loop, which we lived a half mile from, so when it was done, we just rode home. Actually, that meant we rode 26 miles. The bath water stung me like I was getting into a tubful of Tabasco.

A year or two later, John rode with a 24" uni, and I recall that he managed to ride 50 miles, which still seems incredible (but keep in mind: He has since ridden in the recent AUT and two other long-distance rides, and that he has ridden 89 miles in 12 hours on a 29"). I’ll have to ask him for more details on that ride, but I know it was on a Schwinn 24".

When I went on vacation to Ocean City, NJ my friend’s condo was around 55 blocks away (which is 5.5 miles). I would always ride it on my Sun 28" and the one day I decided to see how fast I could do it. I managed to make it in 28 minutes, with a skim board in my right hand.

It hurt pretty bad, so I wouldn’t recommend it, I would say that long distance on a 24" is very possible. The cranks on the Sun are 150mm so thats not even very short.

Its very much doable…
My personal best is 73km in 7:15. I ride a 24" with 150mm cranks.
I did once cover 100km in 17 hours but that included a couple of dinners and various other stops…