1000+ unicycles

Maybe not. I have one of Roger’s CF MUni frames, and I don’t think the whole uni added up to $1000. But again one must remember this was before the days of splined cranksets, so my carbon MUni has a Miyata hub, inexpensive cranks, etc. The seat post was about $100 though (Thudbuster Uni-Pivot).

It’s kinda wierd that for something so simple, like a unicycle, the price can rack up pretty good. I mean c’mon $1000 for a Unicycle. But that’s what it takes to get a good custom one.

My Large Marge & Endomorph setup cost more than $1000. I’ve been upgrading piece by piece for years.
I spent this much on my muni because my first $100 training unicycle wore out quickly with my 220 pounds on top of it.
Also, I’m a 35 year old programmer, and municycling is my largest (only?) source of exercise and outdoors exposure. I want the best quality exercise and fun I can afford.

I spent about $1300 once you count in leg armor, gloves, helmets, and shipping to Sweden. From a cost perspective, I average one hour a day of unicycling. Over the last two years, that means I’ve paid about $1.80 per hour of enjoyment. At that rate, municycling is worth the cost. For comparison, Movie tickets are about $5 an hour, concerts are often $12 an hour.

(1300 / (365 * 2)) = 1.78

Oops thats supposed to say trials. I think i got a little ahead of myself.

I don’t know about that. My souped up Radial 360 is a pretty good touring uni - a tad heavy, perhaps, at around 21 lbs, but fairly serious for my use. It cost $289 from UDC (got that initial sale price), a deal on magnesium pedals ($40), new KH grooved seat ($54), 125 mm Qu-ax cranks ($18), handlebars (around $90 all-told), cycle computer ($20). So what’s that? Just over $500. I guess Airfoil rim, SS spokes and brake would put it up near $1000, but I may never do those things.

I wish I had $1000 to spend on a uni. Even if I blew my whole bank account it would only be enough for an $800 uni:(

When I got my first muni, the $1200 or so I paid was considered ‘mates rates’. It was the profile hub that did it. This was before the days of unicycles.com.au and unicycle.co.nz .

You newer riders should consider yourself lucky…and I suppose I should too.

Andrew

Well it looks like I’m finally getting to the $1,000 uni mark. Its still cutting it pretty close.

Nimbus 36" frame and airfoil rim wheelset (with thicker 12 ga. spokes)
$608

T-7 Handle
$65

Cateye Wireless Cycling Computer
$50

Pair of Bottle Holders/mounting hardware
$25

Magura HS33 with mounting hardware:
$209

New Hub (14 gauge spoke drilled) and 14 gauge spokes:
$110

Looks like I’ve put $1,067 into my unicycle. Its going to have to get me through ragbrai this year so hopefully those upgrades will pay off.

If it’s not too late, get the 14 ga stainless steel spokes!

thats what they are :slight_smile:

$1,000+ Unis

Spending so much on a Uni today seems like overkill. In the late 90s the Hunters, Dirt Unis, DMs and Wilders were all the rage and they were the only really good quality MUnis out there and the price was so high because they were all hand made. However now the KHs area all that anyone needs. The K1s, Onzas, Torkers and QuAxs also provide pretty good rides. Unless you really need to stroke your ego by having something that not many other people have there is no reason to buy these expensive hand made Muni’s. To support this I notice that UDC has not sold any of the stock on these expensive unis since I have been riding. (About 14/15 months.)

The best analogy that I can think of is the Casio and Sieko watches that are massed produced are so much better quality and dependability wise than all of the specialty Swiss watches. When and Item is made in quantities the quality issues are usually ironed out.

Now if you are racing and you get a special Guni that is a different story.

Unicorn

I’m inclined to agree about the Munis, but getting a fairly common nimbus 36" with all the trimmings costs over $1000 in the UK.