100:1 on a 29er?

It’s possible, but even stupider than doing 100 miles on a Coker.

125mm cranks would be insanely long for a 100-mile ride on a 29er. Get a set of 110mm or 100mm and practice on them.

Yes, almost as stupid as typing “stupider” as apposed to taking the extra two seconds and typing “more stupid”.

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

The ride sounds like awesome fun. Best of luck to you and be sure to keep us informed on how it’s going.

In what way is “more stupid” preferable to “stupider”? And I don’t think “apposed” means what you think it means.

i was actually really hoping you’d catch that i used the wrong word there. lol it was indeed supposed to be the word opposed. lighten up i’m just messing with you. i just think that stupider sounds much more stupid when said aloud, and IMO it’s hard to have a serious argument to something when the word you’re using sounds funny.

just having a little fun.

sooo, back to the topic at hand here. i too am considering a 100 mile ride, but i’d be doing it on my 36er. a friend of mine wants to do the ride with me, but his biggest uni is a 29er so definitely let me know how things are going when you start training with shorter cranks. it would be awesome if i could convince my friend that he wouldn’t have much trouble doing distance on his 29.

Max

It’s about unicycling folks, not spelling or grammar. As long as the point gets across, it’s fine.

Unicycling a hundred miles on a unicycle?!!?!?! Talk about stupid. Wouldn’t it be easier to drive? Or maybe ride your duocycle? How about a Schlumpfed out 20"? Stupider and stupider.
When it comes to stupid, unicyclists OWN that term. Pick your flavor. Be proud.
Geoff

I think it’s definitely possible, Andy! You should go for it :smiley: I’m hoping to do the 100 miles this summer too. I was contemplating the Manchester 100 ride, or the 90-mile Oxford-Cambridge with a 10 mile warm up.
Have you decided on a route yet?

I was just googling those rides ^^ and saw they have planned a Bristol 100. I’m sorely tempted, but it’s posted for the day after I come back from holiday. I’m not sure I’ll be sober, let alone fit enough to ride.

I too would say use shorter than 125mm cranks on a 29er, but it all depends on the route and how hilly it is.

I’m with tholub on this one. Not so much on the stupider bit, but on the crank length. 102s or shorter, my friend. I used to use that size for 29" racing while we had it, and even used 102s on a Coker for a Unicon Marathon (flat course in Denmark).

The unofficial, old 24-hour record for unicycles was held (unofficially) by Steve McPeak from 1968 or so. He did a cross-country publicity ride, during which he rode as far as he could during a 24-hour period, supposedly covering 186 miles or so. His unicycle was probably 27" or less.

Thanks. Lake Taupo was my first 100 miles on the 28. If I was ever going to do that kind of distance again on it I would use 89mm cranks and a handlebar. I used the same unicycle with 89mm cranks in the marathon at Unicon and I didn’t like it very much but the course was very steep. My muscles are not used to such short cranks.

I much prefer riding long distance on 36" these days, and I can’t be bothered doing another long 28" haul. I mainly rode around lake Taupo on a 28" because that is what I could afford at the time (sponsored by my friend after my MU got stolen) and Ken dared me and sponsored me to do it.

28" with 125mm cranks feels so easy you could do it all day but it is a very uncomfortable painful and achievable day if you ride 100 miles. Watch out for the sun- I got burned on the back of my arms from all day sun behind me- I wasn’t expecting that!

Thanks for all the tips guys, it is something I really want to try. I may end up trying to do 100 in a weekend at first. Hoping to get the shorter dual hole cranks, but I need to save for them. I think I could do it in 14 hours with about an hours worth of breaks, but still need to train. I can get to about 15 miles over hilly terrain at present so have a bit to go. Either way I will do a 100 mile ride by about this time next year, however may end up getting a 36er before then!

Met someone at the BJC that cycled 15 miles on a 20" with about 75mm cranks! He was faster than me on his 20" and he could ride a ratchet as well!! I couldn’t even go further than a peddal!

Yes, it’s possible. I’ve done it (at least 95 miles anyway) from Bath to London on the A4. It was before I had a 36" and I used 125mm cranks I think. It took a long time and was less comfortable than a 36" would have been, but there’s nothing to stop you doing it.

It may well be frustrating combining a rider on a 36" and a rider on a 29" for a long ride like this as the 29" rider will be at a significant speed disadvantage.

Either way, the shorter cranks the better. 90mm on a 29er can be good for distance road riding.

Have fun.

Sam

100 Miles

I know that people did more thatn 100 miles in Ride the Lobster on 29ers.
They however were using geared versions. If the course is not too hilly you can definetly use shorter cranks.

Unicorn

I’m def going to get a smaller crank, prob go for the shorter dual hole KH ones.
I don’t use the 150 setting on my cranks atall so hardly worth keeping these ones.

Question: Is it possible for me to drill another hole below the 125 hole say at 100mm? Will the crank retain its stregth and structure?

I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine.

As far as I know, nobody’s actually broken a set of moments. The crank must lose a little bit of strength with the extra hole, but given how overengineered moments are in the first place, it’ll still be overkill most riders.

I’m probably gonna be doing the same thing, what I’m worried about is getting the drilling done. I.E. expense, will it strip out?

Almost definitely they won’t break.

I’m actually maybe thinking about drilling some tensiles out, but do I want to do that to such beautiful cranks?:stuck_out_tongue:

Right I have decided to drill a hole at about 100mm, perhaps less depending on what it looks/feels like. Its pretty steep around here so wouldn’t want to drop below 90mm.

Problem is where can I go to get this done? I have tried a local bike shop but they were no help, any ideas?

A shop that does machining? I’m sure somone on here would know where to get that done. I’m debating on what size to get right now as well. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s pretty flat around here so I could easily get below 100. Just don’t know if I want smaller then that ffor when I go to other areas.

I would really not recommend drilling another hole. It can work (I have had some square-taper Quax 125s drilled down to 100mm… although they cracked when used in the longer length as the shorter hole weakened the crank too much) but it must be aligned perfectly which is no easy task. It would need a jig of some kind to make sure the new hole is parallel to the existing one. And you need a pair (left and right side) of pedal thread taps.

I’d rate it as way more effort (and/or expense) than is worth doing. I’d just buy another set of smaller cranks at the size you want, and swap them if you get desperate for another length.

Sam