1,000 Reps: Objective Rating of the Difficulty of Various Skills

its not really noticeable, but i’m actually doing 2 lil mini hops each time i turn…to reduce some of the friction. ive also been practicing on a low metal pole…it definitely easier to turn, but definitely harder to stay on after the turn. i probably land 1 in 15 on the metal pole.

yeh its tricky but you should get it pretty fast cause of your insane balance skills :smiley:

is not better try a 180 turnaround than 2 hops of 90? you just have to do very controlled to not lost the balance ! or is more difficult?

its way harder. i slip off like 10x more.

hm, understand , i do just in the floor , is cool , keep praticing man , one day you will get this mastered! , using your thread do you have any tips to how to start to train stand still? skinny? Is one of my dreams , ride mi unicycle ina handrail and can stand still!

check out this post,

practice both riding skinnies and standstills. they go hand in hand. the more standstills you do , the better your skinny riding gets. the more skinny riding you do, the better you standstills get.

nice man thanks a lot , i wil start doing it on the car parking haha

Hmm. I doubt I will work on skinnies for over a year. I’m still a fairly new cyclist, and there is really just too much to learn…And it appears that you could really spend 100% of your time on skinnies and get better and better at that one skill…and by the time you can fairly claim that you’re ‘pretty decent’ at turnarounds and skinnies, perhaps you could have learned a good ten other flat/free skills instead.

It’s very impressive, though.

I mentioned in another thread binding the cranks to help learn seat wraps, (I contend that the larger number of simple steps a process can be broken into within reason is the quickest way to learn a skill solidly) and I’m wondering if anyone else has tried that or something similiar. Surely someone has…

And Erik, I clicked on your name and saw you were having some trouble with tire hops? I have just started working on those this week, and my opinion is that they are very easy - compared to other things - especially when you consider how cool it looks.

I would recommend hopping from the floor to the tire for a while just for the purpose of being able to comfortably hop in that position. Once you’re really comfortable in the tire hop position, I think that hopping up from the pedals will be a much simpler matter because if you try it now, you are attempting two skills at once - the transition and the tirehop itself. It would be something like working on riding hops when you can’t really hop yet, do you know what I mean? It doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Forgive me for even offering advice when you and I are trying to learn the exact same skills, but I also find it helpful to focus on a single skill and go nuts on it, rather than trying this a few times, then that…

thanks intoit , for now i mastered the tiire hop trick haha , i did like you said , jump on the tire for a pedal postion and fal on the pedals again :slight_smile:

i’ve done about 500 reps since i last posted… up to 1,250

here’s my progress

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-noFUlOicc

only 28,000 left to go! lol:p

those rail skills really are impressive.

Glad to hear it!!

Starting today, I’m going to do 50 reps a day on each trick that I am working on.

-Crankflip (have landed several)

-180 US (have landed several)

-Seatwrap (just did 50 reps and landed my first “no-hop” seat wrap on rep #50!)

-Rolling wrap (not even close)

-Legwrap (about 50% success)

-Donkey kick (never worked on or landed)

-Backroll MOUNT (never landed it, never tried from pedals)

-Koosh koosh (got to admit, it’s getting better [and better - all the time])

-90 and back to pedals (still find this difficult)

That’ll be 900 reps for each of these by the time school starts on the 16th. I’ll update then - or before then.

And push mush - that is a must for stringing combos.
And varial ( one half rolling wrap and then walk the body 360o)

Many of these I will fail at miserably, but when I get good at some, eg push mush and seatwrap, I’ll have a head start on the others.
I’m just talking about myself…aber ich finde der ueben des anderen interessant, also ich habe meinen geschrieben.
(correct me?)

OK. One last update for today:
I extended the list to 20 tricks, so that with 50 reps each, I can do 1000 reps a day, and on the 20th day, I will have done 1000 reps for each of these skills. I am on an improvement kick, and I think organization is the most appropriate way to excell quickly. Here’s my new list, and what has been done today so far. It’s 3 AM, so I will have finished the list by 4, and then I can go sleep. I have no job and I’m with my parents until the 16th, when the next semester starts.
REPS: 1000 every day
DEC 30
Crankroll Mount:50
Fakie Crankroll Mount:50
Backroll Mount:10
Rolling Wrap:50
180US:50
Koosh Koosh:50
Seat Wrap:50
Backward:50
Donkey Kick:50
Crankflip:50
Push Mush:50
Fakie Push Mush:50
90Tirehop&down:0
Fakie 1ft idle:50
1fwwLanding:0
1foot:50
Fakie 1foot:50
Pedal Grab:0
High Jump:0
Varial Roll:0

I’m going to keep a word document on my desktop to ensure that I actually get this done. By the 18th, I am hoping to have all of these tricks down, and those ‘mounts’ will disappear and become the real thing in a week or so.

Cheers,
Lance

REPS: 1000 every day
DEC 30
Backroll Mount:90/90
180US:50
Donkey Kick:25
90Tirehop&down:75/75
1fwwLanding:50/100
1foot:50
Fakie 1foot:50
Pedal Grab:50/100
High Jump:100/100
Varial Roll:75/100
Total:1115 /1265

Yesterday, I made up for some of what I didn’t do two days ago. I have to finish that today.

nice brah. wish i had the motivation to practice all them tricks. i’ve tried at least 2500 turnarounds now. little bitches…

OK, this is going to be the last post I make like this for a while because everytime I post in here it automatically bumps the thread, and some would find it distasteful to have a face full of Lance everytime they entered the Articles and Tutorials section.

Past two days: New Year’s Eve I was drunk, New Year’s Day I was hung over, and Today I am quite sore. But I’m hangin’ in there as long as I can. I have seen improvement on EVERY trick on this list within the first four days.

DEC 31
Backroll Mount:50
360 Unispin:50
Donkey Kick:75/75
90Tirehop&down:0/75
1fwwLanding:100/100
1foot:20
Fakie 1foot:20
Pedal Grab:0/100
High Jump:30
Varial Roll:75/75

Total:920 /1150

Jan1
Crankroll Mount: 50
Backroll Mount: 50
Fakie Backroll Mount:50
360 Unispin:50
90Tirehop&down:101/125
1fwwLanding:20
Stand-up Wheelwalk:21/80
Fakie 1foot:0/80
Pedal Grab:100/150
High Jump:70/70
Varial Roll:50

Total: 1012/1230

As you see, as I learn tricks, I swap them out for ones I can NOT do. On the 31st, I swapped the 180 unispin for 360. Yesterday, I swapped the fakie 1-foot idle for the Standup Wheelwalk. Today, I am adding in the 180 stepover in place of the fakie 1-foot. I won’t do any more substitutions for a while, probably, except for replacing the “Roll Mounts” with the actual Rolls.

From now on, I will post only my totals, and I will do it every five days for the next fifteen days.

Cheers,
Lance

I know I said I wouldn’t do this, but fuck it; I’m proud of my hard work today!

I added in two more new skills, so it is now 1100 reps/day, though if I get too sore and only make it to 20,000 on the 18th - my original goal, I’m not going to beat myself up. I’m only human, and I’m already taking the maximum dose of ibuprofen. :slight_smile:

Jan2
Switch Crankroll Mount:50
Backroll Mount: 50
Switch Backroll Mount:50
180 Unispin:50
Spin:50
Backspin:50
Switch Push Mush:50
90Tirehop&down:74/74
1fwwLanding:80/80
Stand-up Wheelwalk:90/109
180 Stepover:81/130
Pedal Grab:50/100
High Jump:50
Varial Roll:50
Total: 1225/1218 (NOW 1318)

Slacked a bit yesterday…made up for it today. Almost finished up, but got so tired by the end…I can barely move.

Jan 4
Switch Crankroll Mount:50
Backroll Mount: 100/100
Switch Backroll Mount:50
180 Unispin:50
Koosh Koosh:100/100
Spin:50
Backward:40
Backspin:30