Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > General Unicycling Discussions

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2003-06-03, 04:32 PM   #1
onewheeldave
Semi Skilled Unicyclist

Uni pannier

Has anyone tried to carry stuff on their uni frame i.e. in the way that bicycles have panniers.

I'm thinking that it would be an alternative to rucksacks which cause sweaty backs.

Also, it would enable long distance unicycle backpacking using the frame to carry some of the load and a small rucksack for the rest.

The most obvious way would be a Reeder handle type metal bar attached to the seat, but pointing backwards and not bent.

Has anyone tried this?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 04:48 PM   #2
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Unibago

There is the Unibago.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 05:23 PM   #3
phil
Average wheels: 1.5

I know it's not helpful, but didn't someone have panniers on the sides of a giraffe, below the pedals?

I remember seeing some photos...

Phil
Old 2003-06-03, 05:34 PM   #4
JJuggle
Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

Send a message via AIM to JJuggle
Quote:
Originally posted by phil
I know it's not helpful, but didn't someone have panniers on the sides of a giraffe, below the pedals?

I remember seeing some photos...

Phil
You're right, Phil. It was Ben Linder and the photos are here.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

To Plotz is Human
To Shvitz Divine
JJuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 05:55 PM   #5
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally posted by phil
It was also Pietro Biondo, who rode the perimeter of North America (more or less) in 1982-4. He was featured on the cover of On One Wheel in 1984 riding his touring giraffe in the Canadian Rockies. I'm not aware of any online pictures of him.

He had what looked like about a 4.5' giraffe, with panniers on either side and a spare tire, bedroll, and maybe some other stuff on top of that. This allowed him to ride in just a pair of cycling shorts, not carrying any extra weight. As I recall, he also had a pair of water bottles on the front of his seat post.

On a giraffe, panniers would seem to be the logical way to carry stuff. Plus, for touring, the giraffe gave him a choice of gearing. This was, of course, before cokers. On a Coker, I'd go for the Unibago approach, unless you have more stuff than you can reasonably fit there.

An option for more cargo on a big wheel might be to extend the forks below the bearing area, and attach panniers, or custom build something to ride in the space between the bottom of pedal stroke and the ground. Make sure to leave clearance for any frame angle, and for sharp turns!

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 06:05 PM   #6
harper
768 - It's in your DNA

UniBrier (Steve DeKoekkoek) showed me a photo of Ben Linder on a short, 3-speed geared giraffe which I believe was equipped with paniers below the crank set. He toured along the west coast in the late 70's or early 80's I think. Steve may have posted the photo at one time but he would have had to scan it to post it.

Destroying the climate by shutting down nuclear power plants, one by one, since 1979.

Change is good. Bills are better.
harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 06:52 PM   #7
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Get a traditional milkmaid's yoke, which rests on the shoulders and projects a couple fo feet to each side.

Put your kit in the buckets - water in one, tools and clothes in the other.

You can mount lights on the yoke, with a wide beam spread.
Old 2003-06-03, 08:07 PM   #8
joemarshall
dumb blonde

You can attach a blackburn seatpost rack or similar. I've seen one on a coker, apparently it doesn't screw up your mounting, despite looking like it should do.

Joe
joemarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 08:14 PM   #9
Mikefule
Bridge of Otherwhere: on Kindle

Quote:
Originally posted by joemarshall
You can attach a blackburn seatpost rack or similar. I've seen one on a coker, apparently it doesn't screw up your mounting, despite looking like it should do.
Interesting. But surely the load would be limited in width and weight, otherwise you'd have to ride with the uni at an unnatural angle, leaning forwards to compensate?

Or could you mount a seat post rack facing forwards *as well*? Vulnerable in a UPD, but who does those these days?

I have occasionally wondered about towing a trailer behind the Coker. Has anyone done this?
Old 2003-06-03, 08:19 PM   #10
johnfoss
North Shore ridin'

Quote:
Originally posted by Mikefule
Interesting. But surely the load would be limited in width and weight, otherwise you'd have to ride with the uni at an unnatural angle, leaning forwards to compensate?
It would take a lot of weight to make a major difference in your frame angle. Minor differences would probably not be a big deal. But as the angle increases, it changes your body position on the seat as your feet have to reach back to the pedals. I'm sure this would be very unfavorable on the crotch.

So you definitely don't want to put a lot of really heavy stuff only on the back of the unicycle. Note that any large amounts of weight, front or rear, will make the unicycle lots more sluggish to steer. This would not be an issue for touring, but for commuting it could get pretty annoying.

Large amounts of weight on the front of the unicycle would probably not hurt your riding position. Bringing the pedals forward would give you a riding position more similar to that of a bike, and probably be easier on your crotch. But I'm not saying I want to carry huge luggage on the front either...

"The miracle is this: the more we share, the more we have." -- Leonard Nimoy
johnfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 09:24 PM   #11
onewheeldave
Semi Skilled Unicyclist

joemarshall
dumb blonde

Joe
--------------------------------------

What's a blackburn seatpost rack?

I've typed it into a search engine and got 3 results which weren't too useful; anyone got links to pics of them or sites that sell them?

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32
onewheeldave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-06-03, 09:40 PM   #12
Adrian
Experienced Faller Offer

Quote:
What's a blackburn seatpost rack?
http://www.pictoncycles.co.uk/blackburn.htm

At the bottom. It's just a rack mounted only to the seatpost.
Topeak also make them, possibly others too.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pannier, uni