Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2006-06-28, 02:43 PM   #16
tomtrevor
Unicyclist

the trick for 1ft riding is to have confidence. if you have confidence you have no fear of falling and it makes it so much easier to learn to keep your balance.
Old 2006-06-30, 09:00 PM   #17
skrobo
jumps stuff

Send a message via AIM to skrobo
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroboskim
I actually learned in 5 minuites... heres how ... down my driveway(downhill helps a lot because you don't have to push when you pedal) starting with one revolution... then 2 ...then 3 and so on until i was getting 20 or so, but if you fall start at the highest number you know you can do everytime

hope it helps

ohh and if you have a unicycle w/ a rounded frame i suggest not putting your foot on it
hmm ... i bet it would be easier to learn on a smaller uni ??

anyone learned on a 16??
... and i learned w/ my foot off the crown, but I can't seem to do it that way anymore WHAT THE HECK!!!

ohh well ... I like doing it w/ my foot on the crown better anyways
94cm Highest Hop (rolling)
308cm Longest Hop (10 feet)
210cm Static Flat Gap
skrobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-01, 05:16 PM   #18
billnye
Junior Mint

Send a message via ICQ to billnye Send a message via AIM to billnye Send a message via Yahoo to billnye
Any foot position you choose for your "off" foot; on the crown, instep braced against the fork above pedal position (handy for larger wheel sizes), extended in front, out to the side, bent knee w/ foot out behind, etc.-- all require different balance points as your center of gravity changes. The positions with your foot in contact with the frame are probably the easiest variations, because of your ability to brace against the unicycle at awkward points in the pedal stroke. Learning to go back to foot extended after you've come to depend on that assistance can be pretty tricky.

As with almost everything else in this sport, the biggest answer is just to practice

John M
billnye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-02, 02:45 PM   #19
fluxusmaximus
Giggly schoolgirl

I just managed to do this 4 hours back and have the scars to prove it so here goes... heh.

When I started learning I found it useful to cycle around like usual and then consciously moving my weight onto one leg. After I'm comfy with that, I'd just lightly place my other foot on the pedal and go with the motions, exerting force only when I feel I'm losing balance.

What that's comfy, I tapped and removed that feet for increasingly longer periods of time. I've heard from around and you're supposed to remove said foot for one rev, then 2, then eventually move that foot to the frame and keep it there. But I couldn't for the life of me do that so I tried an alternative which apparently worked better for me so if that fails for you too you might want to try what I did.

I can idle one-footed so I start by idling like that next to a wall and on the upstroke, I'd push the pedal down hard and wait for it to hit up before pedalling hard again. If that works fine. If it doesn't and it gets stuck halfway which i'm prone to doing initially, I'd just push myself away from the wall. Because my foot's on the pedal, my pushing pushes the wheel away and gives it that extra power that my first pedal action lacks.
fluxusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1ft, riding