Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Articles and Tutorials

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 2009-05-15, 03:53 AM   #46
Peripatet
Sometime one-wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to Peripatet
I learned on a 24", but I had no trouble transitioning to a 36 with 150's.
Seems to me, if you have the skill down it's no trouble to transition.

(Although I did have a pretty good UPD once. . .)
Peripatet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 08:35 AM   #47
Unibugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatet View Post
(Although I did have a pretty good UPD once. . .)
If you are referring to the UPD you did coming back from Island Joes at Anastasia, I'd hardly call that a "good UPD". In my book a "good UPD" is one where there's contact with the sidewalk with more than the soles of your feet. Preferably a little blood and lots of on lookers gasping or wringing their hands because they don't know what to do. Minimum you should feel momentarily scared for your life even if you do land like a cat on the soles of your paws.

You didn't have one of these recently while riding one footed on the beast. Did you?

*Idling one footed..... hmmmm.... I'm working on that next.
Unibugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-15, 12:26 PM   #48
Biggestbtc
Stinky Cheese Man

Is it harder to ride one footed with shorter cranks? I have 89mm on my 20" Nimbus II, and I think that makes it harder to learn.

No matter how great your triumphs or how tragic your defeats, approximately one billion Chinese couldn't care less.
Biggestbtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-16, 09:52 PM   #49
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unibugg View Post
If you are referring to the UPD you did coming back from Island Joes at Anastasia, I'd hardly call that a "good UPD". In my book a "good UPD" is one where there's contact with the sidewalk with more than the soles of your feet. Preferably a little blood and lots of on lookers gasping or wringing their hands because they don't know what to do. Minimum you should feel momentarily scared for your life even if you do land like a cat on the soles of your paws.
OK, so what would you consider a "bad UPD"? Perhaps one in which there is contact with the ground at high speed, and when they come to scrape you off the pavement, not all of your pieces are still attached?

I guess I have lower standards. (e.g. Oooh! I bruised my toe. That was a bad UPD.)
scott ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 01:15 AM   #50
Peripatet
Sometime one-wheeler

Send a message via Skype™ to Peripatet
She's just bitter that I'm younger and nimbler and don't fall so much.

But, yes, that was my worst UPD off the KH36. I had a fairly explosive one in the woods yesterday, where I caught a root and got launched, but I still caught the seat.
Peripatet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-17, 10:42 AM   #51
Unibugg

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott ttocs View Post
I guess I have lower standards. (e.g. Oooh! I bruised my toe. That was a bad UPD.)
Hey, you DO understand!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatet View Post
She's just bitter that I'm younger and nimbler and don't fall so much.
No, she's just terribly envious because you ride better, one footed or otherwise. But she has "better" UPD's and now that one footed riding is on the menu it can only get better.
Unibugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-22, 05:18 AM   #52
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

It is now a week later and I am starting to get the hang of one-foot riding. I can usually get a few pedal strokes in before I loose it, and I often get a long series of 20 or more strokes. I am not consistent, but I often feel in control, which was NOT the case when starting.

Today I finally figured out how to get my left foot back on the pedal without a UPD. I held onto something while idling and managed to move my foot from the crown to the pedal OK. Then I tried idling without support and also got my foot back on the pedal. The next step was to try transitioning from one-foot to two-foot riding, and after a few attempts I got it to work.

One thing that helps is to almost stall just before moving my foot. If I have two much speed I often UPD forward. I think this limitation may go away with practice--I am already getting better after 30 min.
Old 2009-06-10, 05:42 AM   #53
scott ttocs
Unicyclist

One-Foot Riding!

I can now ride one-footed, but only with my right foot, and I am still not consistent. It has been fun learning the basics. Here is an example:

Comments?
Old 2009-06-10, 09:10 PM   #54
UniGuyMIke
Unicyclist

Okay so im practicing one footed riding and i cant even get one pedal. i ride left footed and when im riding i can easily get my right foot onto the frame but when my left pedal is coming around over the top, it feels as if its about to shoot out and i hop off. any advice? will the unicycle shoot out?
UniGuyMIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-16, 12:07 PM   #55
96erik
Unicyclist

Send a message via MSN to 96erik
First try 1 pedals!

Then try 2!

Then try 3!

Then try 4!

Then try 5

Then try 6

Then try 7

Then try 8

Then try 9

Then try 10

Then try 11

Then try 12

Then try 13

Then try 14

Then try 15

Then try 16

Then try 17

Then try 18

Then try 19

Then try 20
96erik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-06-17, 02:26 AM   #56
justtysen
Coasts Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniGuyMIke View Post
Okay so im practicing one footed riding and i cant even get one pedal. i ride left footed and when im riding i can easily get my right foot onto the frame but when my left pedal is coming around over the top, it feels as if its about to shoot out and i hop off. any advice? will the unicycle shoot out?
When the left pedal comes over the top use the distance between the seat and your right foot on the frame to try to keep the frame upright and balanced. So if the wheel feels like it is going to shoot forward pull back with your right foot and push forward on the seat with your butt. The opposite if you feel like it will shoot backwards.

I'm currently learning (can do about 6 revs) and I find it easier to hold my foot against the fork leg itself instead of on the crown. If my foot is too low the pedal might brush it but having it lower seems to give me more leverage on the frame.
justtysen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foot, unicycle, unicycling