Unicyclist Community

Go Back   Unicyclist Community > Unicycling Discussion > Unicycling Videos

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 2019-12-30, 09:05 AM   #16
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unigan View Post
I seem to be riding about the same speed as my 29".
Know how you feel mate, a bigger wheel but most of my Strava PR's are still from riding the 29". That big and heavy 36" wheel does make cruising along OK, and long moderate hills are easier too, but as far as maintaining higher speeds, my 29" and me get along better. The weight of a 36 has a number of issues, but for me it's just too much energy to maintain a higher speed. On level ground, I'm happy doing about 18 kph on the 36", about the same as the 29" with a higher cadence, but I tire more quickly on the 36". And around Sydney there are just too many hills to cruise around at 18 kph anyhow, so the 29" is much more practical.
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-30, 09:45 AM   #17
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceC View Post
And around Sydney there are just too many hills to cruise around at 18 kph anyhow, so the 29" is much more practical.
Have you checked out the M7 cycleway? It's a good place for long cruisy rides. Rolling hills, not too steep. 40km in length. There's a secret tap about halfway along where you can refill your water.

There are also some picturesque cycle paths along the Georges River if you're in the south west. I haven't been there for a while but they make for nice 36er cruising.
Old 2019-12-30, 12:14 PM   #18
BruceC
Unicyclist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
Have you checked out the M7 cycleway? It's a good place for long cruisy rides. Rolling hills, not too steep. 40km in length. There's a secret tap about halfway along where you can refill your water.
Know it well, did Kings Langley to a bit past Elizabeth Drive yesterday on the 36", 60km return. Ride is on Strava if you use it. The hills on that route are just ideal unicycle hills. 4-6% grade that just go on and on. The 29 and the 36 can both hold a normal cruise pace up the hills. Sometimes get to pass a few bicycles along the way up, good fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightbulbjim View Post
There are also some picturesque cycle paths along the Georges River if you're in the south west. I haven't been there for a while but they make for nice 36er cruising.
I did that once on the 29" from Homebush to Sandringham, not sure I would try the 36", too tight in places and too many people, and there is that very low bridge as well. But as you say, very pretty.

Parramatta Cycleway, Parramatta Park and around Olympic Park are the best flat rides around. Lane Cove National Park is nice, I ride that a couple of times a week as it's a good mix of cruising and hills. For hills, nothing beats West Head Rd. That was my pre MS Gong ride practice.

A really nice ride is around Narrabeen Lagoon and down to Dee Why. Flat all the way and very pretty, but again too many people to dodge on a big unicycle, well for me anyhow.

Maybe I'll see you out there one time?
BruceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-12-30, 10:45 PM   #19
lightbulbjim
Unicyclist

Quote:
Know it well, did Kings Langley to a bit past Elizabeth Drive yesterday on the 36", 60km return. Ride is on Strava if you use it. The hills on that route are just ideal unicycle hills. 4-6% grade that just go on and on. The 29 and the 36 can both hold a normal cruise pace up the hills. Sometimes get to pass a few bicycles along the way up, good fun.

I did that once on the 29" from Homebush to Sandringham, not sure I would try the 36", too tight in places and too many people, and there is that very low bridge as well. But as you say, very pretty.

Parramatta Cycleway, Parramatta Park and around Olympic Park are the best flat rides around. Lane Cove National Park is nice, I ride that a couple of times a week as it's a good mix of cruising and hills. For hills, nothing beats West Head Rd. That was my pre MS Gong ride practice.

A really nice ride is around Narrabeen Lagoon and down to Dee Why. Flat all the way and very pretty, but again too many people to dodge on a big unicycle, well for me anyhow.

Maybe I'll see you out there one time?
Wow that's a lot of segments!

I don't live in Sydney anymore, but if you're ever in the New England area (I'm in Armidale) ping me and I can show you some good uni trails .
Old 2019-12-31, 10:24 PM   #20
Unigan
Unicyclist

Quote:
Know how you feel mate, a bigger wheel but most of my Strava PR's are still from riding the 29". That big and heavy 36" wheel does make cruising along OK, and long moderate hills are easier too, but as far as maintaining higher speeds, my 29" and me get along better. The weight of a 36 has a number of issues, but for me it's just too much energy to maintain a higher speed. On level ground, I'm happy doing about 18 kph on the 36", about the same as the 29" with a higher cadence, but I tire more quickly on the 36". And around Sydney there are just too many hills to cruise around at 18 kph anyhow, so the 29" is much more practical.
I got it to close to 20K/s yesterday but it really had me puffing. Also managed to static mount the 36" yesterday and a few times this morning. Interestingly I rollback mount with right foot first and I now static mount with left foot first.

Tags
bmx or pump, track